Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Part of the problem is that people think online dating comes with some kind of guarantee.
Yup. I don't know why anyone expects that, but they do. It's just as much toss of the dice as any other method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I made it a point to filter and only message heavy women, it was still a night mare but at least it was not hopless.
I hope you started the email with 'Dear ___, I'm only emailing you because I think you're desperate because you're fat. I'm interested in sex but since prostitution is illegal because of evil feminists I guess I'll try for a relationship because that's what you have to do to get sex. Please email me back.'

Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yup. I don't know why anyone expects that, but they do. It's just as much toss of the dice as any other method.
On the pay sites, they expect it because they paid a fee. What they fail to grasp is that they're not paying for a guarantee, but rather all the work that goes into creating and maintaining the site in the first place.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I hope you started the email with 'Dear ___, I'm only emailing you because I think you're desperate because you're fat. I'm interested in sex but since prostitution is illegal because of evil feminists I guess I'll try for a relationship because that's what you have to do to get sex. Please email me back.'
If i'm desperate it makes sense to go after desperate women. The key thing you keep failing to realize is I don't just dump the woman once I get what I want, so it is mutually beneficial. Also I think you or another poster is right about it being a religious right issue and not a feminist issues so I might tweak the paragraph you wrote a little.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Quote:
Weird, because I've had a POF account for nearly 3 weeks now and have received a grand total of 3 messages, one of which was from the 'founder' welcoming me to the site. The top 1/3 of attractive women receive a disproportionate amount of the emails while the bottom 2/3 are almost entirely ignored. Oh, and I'm no obese and I don't have children.

It must be nice not to have to worry about being raped or harmed...but as a woman, it IS something that I'm worried about when meeting a strange man. You think it's silly for women to be worried about it because you'll likely NEVER experience it or have to worry about it at all. Please don't dismiss our fears as unimportant because they don't affect you directly.
Did you post a photo in your ad? Did you actually post a paragraph or so of what you're looking for? Perhaps it's the area you live in, is it heavily populated with men in your preference range?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Did you post a photo in your ad? Did you actually post a paragraph or so of what you're looking for? Perhaps it's the area you live in, is it heavily populated with men in your preference range?
I'm in Boston proper. I have 3 pictures (2 face, one full body) and I have a nice, but succinct paragraph about what I have to offer and what my interests are. I use no cliches either.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I'm in Boston proper. I have 3 pictures (2 face, one full body) and I have a nice, but succinct paragraph about what I have to offer and what my interests are. I use no cliches either.
That is odd that you only received three replies. Have you tried any other sites?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
That is odd that you only received three replies. Have you tried any other sites?
That's weird, one of the girls I met online showed me her inbox. She said she hadn't checked in a couple days so we looked and she had 50 new messages over 2 days. She said it was normal. We read some and most were so pathetic it wasn't funny.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I had better luck on OKcupid, but still nowhere NEAR getting more than maybe 4 or 5 messages a week, and that was a super busy week.

Of course, 75% of those messages were overtly sexual or just 'hey, how r u' which I ignore.

I do have 2 dates this weekend though so it's working enough.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's weird, one of the girls I met online showed me her inbox. She said she hadn't checked in a couple days so we looked and she had 50 new messages over 2 days. She said it was normal. We read some and most were so pathetic it wasn't funny.
Yeah, just about every girl I know who has placed an ad has been swamped with replies. Whether they are hot or average their inbox is full. Granted most of them are one liners or creepers sending inappropriate photos, but it's rare that a girl would only get a few replies over a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships