Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:18 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I have seen partys on campus that would strictly limit the number of men that could get in. The whole point of "value added" is to accommodate paying members other wise your membership drops off and you loose money or you build a reputation of being a sausage fest and guys wont pay anymore.

I am an engineer so I see no issues with social engineering as well, humanity has been perfecting engineering for thousands of years to get desirable outcomes, why not socially. Weed out the bums before they even get in the door to flood womens inboxes with bs.
To be honest, I've walked into clubs and bars with my girlfriends, saw too many guys in there and turned around and walked out. Guys can get too aggressive in that atmosphere and that makes for a bad night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I quit online dating a year or so ago, because my experience was the opposite. I definitely did not find that I "got out what I put into it."

In fact it almost seemed to be the reverse. Putting effort in just makes it all that more frustrating when I'd inevitably fail.

Again, I think he's right. There's a huge gender imbalance online -- some people think that's driven by 'women feeling unsafe', but i think it is driven by the social stigma of meeting a man online.
Dunno where you live, but meeting people via online is pretty much normal here. I don't think I know many singles that DON'T use it.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM

523 posts, read 840,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I think that online dating is pretty awesome, but ONLY if you use it in addition to traditional dating. If you are unable to date offline and are relying on online dating only, then you have more important things to resolve than finding a date. Word.
Agree! I don't know why some people think it's one or the other. Online is just another avenue, doesn't mean you can't also meet people elsewhere.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
To be honest, I've walked into clubs and bars with my girlfriends, saw too many guys in there and turned around and walked out. Guys can get too aggressive in that atmosphere and that makes for a bad night.
Exactly! They're always trying to 'out alpha' each other and then the harassment starts.

No thank you.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Exactly! They're always trying to 'out alpha' each other and then the harassment starts.

No thank you.
It's a better night if the numbers are equal or if there are more women than men.

Enough to make me fear the zombie apocalypse. Why do I get that unnerving feeling there'd end up being a lot of guys and not a lot of women? That totally sucks.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM

362 posts, read 560,264 times
I don't agree with the OP's view of online dating, though I do agree with the three points he made.

1. Too picky- Yes. Definitely have way more information than you have meeting someone in the traditional way (unless you stalked him/her first)... but what's wrong with being picky?
2. Too many men looking for only sex- Yes, again, but not a problem if the guy just checks the little box that says "looking to date, but nothing serious". I have no problem with people using online dating to hook up (as I recall, don't they go to bars for that, too?), as long as they aren't hooking up with the women looking for a relationship. Honesty should not be such a burden.
3. Pictures lie- Yes they do. It's not fair that the "pretty people" get more attention, but that will only last through the first meeting if they posted misleading photos. Me, I keep my pictures private and only share with those I'm interested in, and those pictures I share do not do me justice. Makes the meeting that much more interesting.

I just don't see where these aspects make online dating less effective than meeting someone IRL. No matter what, you never know what you're really getting or if the relationship will last. People are what they are, and the only way to really know that person is spend lots of time with them over a long period of time. The fakes can only keep up the charade for so long, their true colors come out eventually.

The important thing to remember, when those true colors come out, is to know which ones are worth keeping, when to walk away, and when to run fast as you can.

Last edited by FLgirl727; 06-10-2013 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: because I hate typos

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Part of the problem is that people think online dating comes with some kind of guarantee. A previous poster talked about all the effort that's required and he still didn't meet anyone. Well guess what? That's life. In the real world, there are areas where you expend a lot of effort and still come up empty. That doesn't mean you just quit. Instead you change your approach. Dating is and has always been a numbers game. The more people you meet, the greater your chances of meeting someone you'd want to date. Online dating simply increases the pool of possibilities, allowing you to see people you might never have met in your everyday life. Is there a lot of competition online? Of course. But again, how is that different than the real world? Suppose you encounter a really terrific woman today. Do you think you're the only guy who's noticed her? Of course not. If you have a problem with the male/female ratio, understand that this has little to do with online dating. What you're seeing online is merely a reflection of what things are like offline. There was an article written a few years back that showed how skewed the ratio was in various cities. The most interesting, but not entirely surprising, finding was the ratio changes after age 40. If you're under 40 and looking for single women, you'll find that men outnumber women in every city. But the advantage flips after 40. Then it's the women who outnumber the men.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,603,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Part of the problem is that people think online dating comes with some kind of guarantee.
This is a problem with dating in general, at least in our culture in the U.S. You see evidence of it all over this forum. Too many men think they're entitled to a beautiful women because they're "nice guys." Too many women think they're princesses who are entitled to a man who spoils them.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Part of the problem is that people think online dating comes with some kind of guarantee. A previous poster talked about all the effort that's required and he still didn't meet anyone. Well guess what? That's life. In the real world, there are areas where you expend a lot of effort and still come up empty. That doesn't mean you just quit. Instead you change your approach. Dating is and has always been a numbers game. The more people you meet, the greater your chances of meeting someone you'd want to date. Online dating simply increases the pool of possibilities, allowing you to see people you might never have met in your everyday life. Is there a lot of competition online? Of course. But again, how is that different than the real world? Suppose you encounter a really terrific woman today. Do you think you're the only guy who's noticed her? Of course not. If you have a problem with the male/female ratio, understand that this has little to do with online dating. What you're seeing online is merely a reflection of what things are like offline. There was an article written a few years back that showed how skewed the ratio was in various cities. The most interesting, but not entirely surprising, finding was the ratio changes after age 40. If you're under 40 and looking for single women, you'll find that men outnumber women in every city. But the advantage flips after 40. Then it's the women who outnumber the men.
Can't rep you again yet.

But yes, morbidity stats turn the tide after age 40,
as more men die younger-
and suddenly a bunch of old women (and I'm 40, so am not that far off from being "old")
are seeking out the few eligible men left.

I agree with the above comment, online dating has pitfalls but so does offline meeting
(if one can even manage to successfully meet random people one might consider dating)-
and no, it doesn't necessarily reflect a negative feature (IMHO) for a person to "resort to" trying the internet.

C'mon, most people are online in some fashion,
so it's only logical/pragmatic to be on lookout for potential romance/lust here, too.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,603,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Can't rep you again yet.

But yes, morbidity stats turn the tide after age 40,
as more men die younger-
and suddenly a bunch of old women (and I'm 40, so am not that far off from being "old")
are seeking out the few eligible men left.
Actually, the number of women and men are still pretty equal at 40 and even 50 and 60, in the U.S. anyway. It's not until age 65 or 70 that there are noticeably more women than men. Not until 85 or 90 is the gap really huge.

See the graph on page 3:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-03.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships