Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM

664 posts, read 1,036,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
When you say girly man, I think of crossdressers.

I do prefer nerdy, geeky men who don't feel the need to put up a false front of manly-man-ness.
Wouldn't it be the other way around?

You're a MAN....act like one please.

Guns n' Roses - You Could Be Mine - YouTube

Last edited by PI2070; 06-14-2013 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I think many in this thread are confusing 'macho' with 'masculine'. Women roll their eyes at macho but tend to prefer masculine. Macho is being obsessed with beer and sports, "carrying" tight affliction shirts, riding around on loud motorcycles, grunting loudly in the gym, and bragging about the size of one's genitals. Masculinity, in my opinion, is being resourceful, responsible, facing challenges rather than giving up, sticking up for the underdog, and basing decisions on logic rather than fear. I don't think there is any reason why a poet or a loving father would not be considered masculine. To me, 'girly' calls forth images of someone who isn't willing to get their hands (literally or figuratively) dirty, who backs down from adversity, and who is unwilling to accept responsibilities. I don't know many women who are interested in this type of man.
I think they are one in the same buddy. I don't think ANYONE is trying to impress anyone. You're just being yourself. Too bad if people are offended and butthurt about it. The guy who is sure AIN'T manly at all...... Bet he got his butt kicked daily at school and gets bullied at work now.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:26 PM

219 posts, read 436,373 times
Where do you live, dude? Hit the world music concerts, astronomy clubs, garden classes at your local gardening center. Blues clubs and other music scenes. You haven't thought of this stuff yourself?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Ok...so I kind of take that statement back a little.

The other night there was this jock "goochie" guy all smurfed up at the restaurant in a tight fitting shirt. The whole time while waiting all he did was flex his chest and muscles at the crowd.

Little did he know there was two armed former U.S. Marines and one armed former U.S. Army VETs sitting right next to him.....lol lol

It was sorta funny as hell. lol

Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Ha. Williamsburg is far more hipster than nerdy, though I realize there's some significant overlap of those groups.

In general I'd say going to any urban area with a highly educated populace, or even a college town, would be a good approach, though, if the OP isn't already in such a place.
College towns don't do it for me.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Oops, I didn't see this until now. Having a personality disorder is much different than just being nerdy. Are you in therapy?
Yes. In therapy. But my personality "disorders" are one aspect of my nerdiness. Back in the day, people with personality disorders were considered "eccentric" rather than sick. Being someone with a personality disorder, that's the way I see it. And that's actually the way my therapists have seen it too.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yes. In therapy. But my personality "disorders" are one aspect of my nerdiness. Back in the day, people with personality disorders were considered "eccentric" rather than sick. Being someone with a personality disorder, that's the way I see it. And that's actually the way my therapists have seen it too.
Who's telling you that you have a "personality disorder"? Sounds like people trying to make you into something you are not and tell you how to live your life. Don't worry buddy, the road goes both ways on that. Look at it this way....the nerdy guys do their own thing. They shouldn't let someone (namely a woman) control them and transform them into something they are not. The manly men sure don't let them. That guy in "the middle" who does is the last thing from "manly" as I could think of. Be yourself and stop worrying what other people think. You're a man then...

Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I think many in this thread are confusing 'macho' with 'masculine'. Women roll their eyes at macho but tend to prefer masculine. Macho is being obsessed with beer and sports, "carrying" tight affliction shirts, riding around on loud motorcycles, grunting loudly in the gym, and bragging about the size of one's genitals. Masculinity, in my opinion, is being resourceful, responsible, facing challenges rather than giving up, sticking up for the underdog, and basing decisions on logic rather than fear. I don't think there is any reason why a poet or a loving father would not be considered masculine. To me, 'girly' calls forth images of someone who isn't willing to get their hands (literally or figuratively) dirty, who backs down from adversity, and who is unwilling to accept responsibilities. I don't know many women who are interested in this type of man.
In some ways, I fit that description of girly. In some ways I don't. It depends on what kind of adversity and what kind of responsibilities. I certainly have my limits in terms of resourcefulness & responsibility, and have lazy tendencies.

I am definitely not macho.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Nerdy is ok. I'll pass on girly.

Plenty of women like nerds.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships