Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what "type" is that?

Whatever I'm attracted to at the moment. I'm attracted to various different types of women of different color, body types, cultures, ages, and interests. I've never had an issue getting whatever it was I desired at that particular moment. Some don't respond but most do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 01:50 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This is an old, old thread but this kind of thinking still holds - in dating and any other competitive area - business, for example.

If you are in a competitive industry....where the "consumer" has many choices available to her (whether it be cars or clothes or men) then it is up to the business to find out what she wants and to cater to her. If he (the business...haha) would rather just ***** out the potential customer/client (woman) he can do that until he turns blue...the potential customer will go where she can get what she wants. Make sense? Now, go get 'em tiger!
You're being facetious, right?

Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
This is an old thread but still very relevant. Women who think they should get a well thought out customized message just for them are ridiculous. There are so many women out there and just not enough time. I'm not going to sit there and customize a message just for you. It's much easier and far more efficient to create a template message and cast out a net and see what you catch.
I think a template is a good idea, but not a cut and paste of a generic message. You can customize a template in a matter of seconds and it comes across as a custom message. Because it is (but without you having to reinvent the wheel).

So for example your template might include a line that says,"I see you are into ___. What's your favorite thing about it?" For the woman who puts modern art in her profile fill in the blank with "modern art". For the woman who talks about camping as a hobby, fill in the blank with "camping." Not only does it show you read her profile, but you are asking her to talk about herself (people love talking about their hobbies and interests).

Old 03-24-2017, 02:45 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,671 times
Even moderately attractive women are bombarded with messages from thirsty dudes. They're going to be picky. They get a level of validation they would never get on a normal night out.

Be attractive, be interesting. That's the bottom line..

Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
This is an old thread but still very relevant. Women who think they should get a well thought out customized message just for them are ridiculous. There are so many women out there and just not enough time. I'm not going to sit there and customize a message just for you. It's much easier and far more efficient to create a template message and cast out a net and see what you catch.
Cast a wide net approach. Yeah, that works for individuals who have fairly lax criteria, or no specific type and possibly desire for a committed long term relationship. I met and went out with these types very early on when my own criteria was less selective, when I explored the casual side of dating. But when I was interested in a relationship, nah, lax criteria and methods of screening/searching went out the door. However, even then I appreciated genuine messages that were more thought out.

I received hundreds of copy/paste messages that were almost always quickly deleted. It wasn't that I thought I should receive messages that actually piqued my curiosity and interest, I simply preferred them a great deal. I don't recall ever going on a date with anyone who sent me a copy/paste message. Not only did their message have no substance, but their profiles did nothing for me. The ones that put in the effort were just more interesting and better matches. These messages weren't rare or infrequent, either. I received long and detailed messages regularly. Heck, a few were so long the messages were truncated twice because they got so long. One guy nearly dissected my entire profile.

But yeah, you do you. I get the whys behind it. I don't see the issue if it works for you, and I know this method works best for many guys. It just doesn't work on many women. And that's fine, too.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Cast a wide net approach. Yeah, that works for individuals who have fairly lax criteria, or no specific type and possibly desire for a committed long term relationship. I met and went out with these types very early on when my own criteria was less selective, when I explored the casual side of dating. But when I was interested in a relationship, nah, lax criteria and methods of screening/searching went out the door. However, even then I appreciated genuine messages that were more thought out.

I received hundreds of copy/paste messages that were almost always quickly deleted. It wasn't that I thought I should receive messages that actually piqued my curiosity and interest, I simply preferred them a great deal. I don't recall ever going on a date with anyone who sent me a copy/paste message. Not only did their message have no substance, but their profiles did nothing for me. The ones that put in the effort were just more interesting and better matches. These messages weren't rare or infrequent, either. I received long and detailed messages regularly. Heck, a few were so long the messages were truncated twice because they got so long. One guy nearly dissected my entire profile.

But yeah, you do you. I get the whys behind it. I don't see the issue if it works for you, and I know this method works best for many guys. It just doesn't work on many women. And that's fine, too.
This advice probably works best for reasonably attractive men. A good-looking guy will get a woman's attention. If he tailors a well-thought out message, he's probably looking at going out on at least one or two dates (assuming no major screw-ups).

Average men aren't going to grab most women's attention even with a well thought out message. While I hate PUA/game philosophy, there is something to be said about the "Apex Fallacy." It's the idea that people, in this case women, view men by the performance of the best, top-level men. They look at the men that succeed and try to advise less successful men that by doing what the Winning Guys do, they too can be successful. Unfortunately, the factors that help the Winning Guys triumph are characteristics that can't always be controlled (height, natural attractiveness, status, wealth etc.). Regular men will fail much more often so they need a repeatable and efficient way to meet women.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
This advice probably works best for reasonably attractive men. A good-looking guy will get a woman's attention. If he tailors a well-thought out message, he's probably looking at going out on at least one or two dates (assuming no major screw-ups).

Average men aren't going to grab most women's attention even with a well thought out message. While I hate PUA/game philosophy, there is something to be said about the "Apex Fallacy." It's the idea that people, in this case women, view men by the performance of the best, top-level men. They look at the men that succeed and try to advise less successful men that by doing what the Winning Guys do, they too can be successful. Unfortunately, the factors that help the Winning Guys triumph are characteristics that can't always be controlled (height, natural attractiveness, status, wealth etc.). Regular men will fail much more often so they need a repeatable and efficient way to meet women.
From my experience and observations, the Chads and Brads, or Winning Guys, didn't have to really tailor their profile to attract attention. Sure, some did if they wanted attention from a certain type, but a lot of them did just fine with their generic and broadly written profiles. Now, if a Winning Guy seeks attention from a certain type, well, it would make sense to appeal to the desired audience. That is, if Winning Guy isn't looking for just any woman who meets basic criteria of "Young, fit, hot, nice, etc."

I suggest anyone who has an actual type, not just in outward appearance, but "type" across many areas, write their profile to appeal to their audience. If you don't have the characteristics that favor Winning Guys, then it makes sense to try to find ways to attract the women you are interested in. I interacted with, met and dated many regular men that put considerable effort in not only their profiles, but their messages. Their method seemed to work just fine for them. Certain types are better at attracting interest than others.

What do the Winning Guys do, other than look like Henry Cavill and Chris Evans, and have healthy bank accounts? As if the traits you listed are what matters to all or even most women. If "Winning Guy" didn't meet my criteria, he was of little or no interest to me, was my M.O. The same was true for "regular" fellows, too.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:26 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Um, no.

I used it to try and weed out interesting people to date, which was difficult and annoying and time-consuming when clogged up with a bunch of "Hey babe i no whut u need no whut i mean?" and "Hey. Whutz up. U look hot so hit me up" messages.

That's not hot. No matter who writes it.
Seriously that's what guys write nowadays?
I did a much more creative and romantic message than that and that's how I met my girlfriend .

For me online dating has not been that bad you get good results if you put in effort and sell yourself.
Guys can be just as picky too.

I seriously doubt guys just want any random girl
They need to find one that's compatible Long term

Old 03-26-2017, 03:41 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I respectfully disagree mate, women and as many as possible are the very best in asking for advice from when it comes to blokes meeting women whether that's by asking for advice or just by listening and observing them

Apart from a few good blokes the most I've learned from men was how NOT to do it more than anything else

But completely agree with the second part though mate
Blokes? What is that mate?

I will never understand why guys are wayyyyyy too concentrated on a woman's looks.
It's a dumb mistake you still need to get to know a lady
Will you get along with her?
Do you share the same goals in life?
Are you compatible in many things? ( hobbies, food, homebody, sex, intelligence etc)

Old 03-26-2017, 07:36 AM

1,199 posts, read 730,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Blokes? What is that mate?

I will never understand why guys are wayyyyyy too concentrated on a woman's looks.
It's a dumb mistake you still need to get to know a lady
Will you get along with her?
Do you share the same goals in life?
Are you compatible in many things? ( hobbies, food, homebody, sex, intelligence etc)
That's because women are utterly incapable of imagining a reality other than their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships