Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Okay, I'll be honest. I see more threads by men complaining that women don't answer than I see threads from women whining about cut and paste messages. I just ignored the cut and paste messages... I eventually ignored all incoming messages from men. I decided to be the "chooser"
"So where did you get your dog and what's his name? Every dog owner I know has a funny story about their dog to share, what's yours?"

Anyway, just some ideas that might help.
Great tips!
That's what I did! I got bored with it all and decided to narrow it down by only messaging men I thought were attractive, came across in their profile as fairly stable, and had a dog. I love dogs, there were enough in that category to pick from. I figured if a guy has a dog he has to at least come home on a regular basis, have some kind of home, and be responsible enough to keep something alive and healthy. It was a direction, anyway...
WRONG.
At least half would responded with: "Oh yeah, she's a good dog, not mine though." "That's my daughters dog, I live in her and her hubby's basement." "Yes mastiffs are big dogs. I had him when I was married."

I wonder if that was intentional?...too funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:06 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I will never understand the "picky" complaint. SHOULDN'T people be "picky" when choosing a partner? How is that bad?
Right?!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2017, 01:16 PM

140 posts, read 88,836 times
July 2013. Today, February 24, 2017. Gotta love these bumping old posts when some posters here may have gotten married and had kids since that summer day in 2013.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
I will never understand the "picky" complaint. SHOULDN'T people be "picky" when choosing a partner? How is that bad?
That I never understood either. I agree with you because I've always been picky about the women I dated. You shouldn't just allow anyone in your life.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
I agree to a certain extent.

I think it's the connotation of the word picky. That implies wanting everything just right, really fussy and particular, and I don't think that can be applied to people and relationships effectively. It is a bit tomayto/tomahto, but i think it's important to be selective and discerning versus looking for perfection or things exactly the way you want them. IMO, picky doesn't allow for flexibility.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 PM

574 posts, read 377,129 times
I am only dipping my toes in trying to meet someone online. I answered a few ads and got some responses and they usually just disappear after a few emails. Some have stayed just to share their day but no matches.
I am 5-8, I will get a lot of automatic rejections for that. I am 60 , more automatic rejections, I am a recent widower, lots of rejections, sort of like having the plague. I don't mention my income level.

It is what it is. Everyone has some sort of criteria as to what they want in a partner. What we can't see online is a persons mannerisms and their true personality. What we imagine someone to be like is more what we want them to be other than what they really are. How can any of us measure up to another persons expectations?

If I look at a profile or an ad, I am going to pick the one who I think is attractive and seems like a girl I want to meet. Guess what, if I think she is worth pursuing, so does every other guy in that age range. So my task is to separate myself from the pack. Not easy. The only tool you have is words. (learning to use spell check is a good start).

You get very few sentences to get her attention and interest or you are toast. This much I have already figured out. I have also experimented with writing ads. If I write something so outrageously over the top that I make her laugh, I get more responses than if I just pour my heart out for everyone to see. I am learning. It is a numbers game. Always has been, even before we had the internet. Darn my age! Men and women have just as many complaints. For the men, "why can't I get a response?" And for the women, "why am so inundated with men that are not even close to what I said I was looking for"?

I

Old 02-26-2017, 11:24 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Okay, I'll be honest. I see more threads by men complaining that women don't answer than I see threads from women whining about cut and paste messages. I just ignored the cut and paste messages... like spam. It's not worth worrying about and it's not skin off my nose (or at least wasn't). Of course, I eventually ignored all incoming messages from men. I decided to be the "chooser" instead of letting men choose me. Worked out great for me because that's how I met my boyfriend.

Anyway, back to the subject. I am really surprised
I kinda LOLed because it's like "Don't copypasta, but...copypasta like this!". Most guys who bother copypastaing already know how to tweak things to keep from getting their accounts nuked by the message filters.

Anyway, understandably, you don't read women's profiles, so you don't have an idea how many will complain about copypasta while toting out a profile consisting of "Just ask.". They get what they put into it.

As for being the chooser, that's what most all women get to do unless you're swinging for the rare celeb who stumbles outside of his usual circles. Not news there.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:50 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Folks here think it's ludicrous to be selective about the people you date or intend on spending a good portion of your life with. This makes me lol at the sheer nonsense of this. This is expecting people to settle for "good enough" and mediocrity, or it's their way of saying women should just accept the Nice Guys™ that have been left behind or forgotten. (notice this is only directed at women and not the expectations or criteria many men have) They're just upset mediocrity isn't cutting it anymore. Those poor Nice Guys™ and their hurt feelings.

Pssh. It's okay to be selective about everything else in life, except for one's partner, whom they will share that life with.

I own my pickiness. It served me well. (and my husband. He's just as picky, and rightly so.)

Old 02-26-2017, 12:02 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
WHY?? That's nuts.
Just for the sake of having a partner and because "society says it's the right thing to do." Those are my guesses.

I've never been the type to give chances to men I had no interest in, in hopes that they would grow on me. Each and every time I tried, someone always got hurt. There is no such thing as "growing on me" if I have already established I'm not attracted to someone. Whenever I reject someone, everyone thinks is so great, I get so much crap for it.

Then they give me the speech of how you should love someone who appreciates you (like you can control who/what you're attracted to ) I just don't have time for it. I haven't been romantically interested in anyone for a few years now, and I have NO problem with it. Just because someone is seen as handsome, successful, ambitious, or this that and the third, DOES NOT mean they are right for me.

I hear I'm picky more so from men than I do women.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 PM

352 posts, read 234,188 times
^^^^ being selective, or cautious about who you spend time....... or surround yourself with, is not "picky"

Steve60......think "marathon, not a race" (if you will...)

As for the likes and all that....yes, it's silly BS. Read profiles carefully and choose well, who you message....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships