Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
You are right. I apologise. I guess I wanted to hear my version of the answers but I have since said if I posted here in the first place I will keep an open mind.
Aw, thanks .

Quote:
I find it hard that nobody stashes some money like what if your hubby is stashing his? Would a lil extra cushion not hurt?:
Why marry someone if you think they will not voluntarily divide assets fairly in the event of a divorce? And if it's going to be fair, why do you need 'extra'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Just curious how many wives here ""pinch"" a part of hubby's salary every month under the disguise of grocery shopping etc only it goes to your secret savings account/ safety deposit etc & if God Forbid you got divorced you would have secret extra cushion of ""stash" money he did not know about.

Thoughs? Is it okay to do this or idiotic not to?

ps: I dont know how but I wish I could edit my post to say do you secretly save/stash what is supposed to be hubby's income not marital savings
I take care of all the finances and no, I don't do this. You shouldn't assume we all earn less than our husbands either. I certainly don't. If you're married do you secretly take some of your wife's income?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
No need to sneak. We set up an IRA and a couple of mutual funds in my name, and money is automatically deposited into those monthly. For a couple of decades it went from his check into my account.

When I went back to work, I put "my" check into our joint account.

Married couples all do things differently.

Secrets breed sickness, BTW.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
When I was married to my ex husband we had a joint checking account. He made more money than I did, and he was an abusive husband. My paycheck covered our rent and my car payment as well as some groceries. His was to cover utilities and credit card payments.

We ended up with no electricity and bankrupt. He always had enough money to stay plenty drunk, however.

A few years later I was able to save enough money of my own to cover 1st and last months rent and a security deposit and the kids and I moved out. He did not even let the kids have their beds, but I was ever so grateful to be living under a different roof than he with my children.

I did not ask for his 401k or his retirement or any money from him. I don't want it.

We are now happily divorced and I am happy in my life and would never feel the need to take money from my bf.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Sexist thread... beyond freakin' belief.

As if millions and millions of women don't make more than their husbands? What world do you live in?

Let me guess: a Kentucky bowling alley or an Alabama Middle School?

Otherwise, join the real world. I make about $25,000 more every year than my husband. I never give it a thought, nor does he. And he earns a very healthy salary himself. I have never stashed 1 dime because we divide up the chores and he does the finances.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Aw, thanks .

Why marry someone if you think they will not voluntarily divide assets fairly in the event of a divorce?
You know what the road to hell is paved with, right?

Life doesn't always work out the way we think it will. My ex and I didn't have any acrimony, and we stayed true to being fair. We even stayed friends for a bit after the split. But it doesn't go that smoothly for everyone.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
No, never stashed money. He direct deposits a portion of his paycheck into a bank account that is in my name only. He has no access to it unless I give him the debit card for the account.

If I saved a portion of that money, I wouldn't have enough to get me through a month of household spending/groceries.

Our other accounts are all joint. If something happened I'd get half. If for some reason I don't...then oh well. I'm not going to steal money though.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 PM

415 posts, read 764,730 times
*** on this is boring''' some of ya got a stash,lol... *** clean''

Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,244 times
I don't really understand the concept of pinching HIS money or HIS paycheck.

We have joint accounts and always have for the 20 years we have been married. We keep our concept of fun money loose in that unless we are planning a large purchase we spend as we wish. Of course, it helps that we both enjoy being frugal.

Last edited by Robinstyler; 07-26-2013 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Don't need to.

Separate finances, plus I make more than he does.

Am I the only one offended by the question? (although, I could see some women doing it in an earlier era as a matter of survival, to have a small safety net or nest egg in case of emergency.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships