Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:01 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,084,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was commenting about the bigger picture. Every time a woman asks you a pretty standard question on a date or online, you come running to us complaining about how stupid or weird the questions are. Enough already!
Yup, OP has got some issues. Extremely standard/basic questions are worthy of creating new threads and he obsesses over them.

At the very least it's an entertaining train wreck to watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I hate the physical act of traveling.

I enjoy being in other places.

Lucky for me, I traveled the world over several times before I lost all patience with the crappy airlines and before every place on the planet became homogenized.

Now I tolerate travel to sit on exclusive island resorts only.

So if I were suddenly single and dating again, I would answer NO. Been there and done that before it got lame.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Mainly because I was never asked these questions in 2001/2002/2003

Seems like it started around 2009 and after.

That's because it's a grownup question and you grew up. I have been asking it since the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I think it leads to conversation about travel habits. If a guy says he loves to travel but hasn't been anywhere in 5 years - he's not really a traveller...

I go every year, sometimes multiple times. I want someone who likes that kind of travel.
Yes.

The type of travel I like costs no more than staying home. It's not a money question.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times
It's a well known fact that most Americans never travel beyond their own continent.

This means that you do not have a wide exposure to different cultures and ways of life, which in turn means that you have missed out on an enormous life lesson.

Travel does include discomfort, sure, lines, tickets, sometimes crowds and nasty customs officers - but it also broadens the mind and spirit like nothing else can.

Those that stay at home remain unchallenged, uneducated, and uninspired about life for the rest of the world's population, which in turn means they can be judged as unchallenged, uneducated, and uninspired themselves.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
My SO absolutely HATES to travel, and that is one of the very few places where we differ.

The answer is not always going to be yes, regardless of the money and time.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
travel is relative,,

you can travel to the mailbox

people usually like topics they know something about
the minx got it right---its a conversational topic
ive been asked that... i always say yes, i have a car
depending on who im talking to, i can tell some whoppers.. i .watched the travel channel alot..

Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Oh ok, I thought it was some kind of trick question LOL. I couldn't travel last year because I was jobless which meant I had the time but no money
If you didn't view the question as a trick one, where have you traveled that you would talk about in general conversation?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
It's a well known fact that most Americans never travel beyond their own continent.

This means that you do not have a wide exposure to different cultures and ways of life, which in turn means that you have missed out on an enormous life lesson.

Travel does include discomfort, sure, lines, tickets, sometimes crowds and nasty customs officers - but it also broadens the mind and spirit like nothing else can.

Those that stay at home remain unchallenged, uneducated, and uninspired about life for the rest of the world's population, which in turn means they can be judged as unchallenged, uneducated, and uninspired themselves.
What?

Now, I have travelled a lot - but I wouldn't say that about people that haven't travelled or people that haven't left their continent. Traveling is expensive - especially when you are talking about leaving your continent. A lot of people simply can't afford to do so.

And to answer the OP - no. The answer is not always yes - as you can see by many of the posts here.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,151 times
I would guess she is giving you the chance to tell her about a cool place you have traveled to OR to tell her about a trip you are planning to _______________. Even if you don't have any particular plans to travel, talk about where you would like to go. What I'm really looking for is someone who likes to travel and can afford to pay for it, so if he doesn't travel, it may be because he is not financially able. Also good info.

I like talking about travel because you can learn a lot about a person from how/where they vacation.

I can't blame you...i get tongue tied and would miss this also...I would probably say something like "I have 2 kids, of course I don't like to travel with THEM." and instead of sounding funny I would sound whiny.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,689 times
Quote:
Or maybe the question means something else that I am unaware of? Women tend to ask "do you like to travel?"

is there a guy out there that would really say No? LOL Or are they asking for some other reason? My answer has been

"Sure If I have the time and money". Someone help me please lol
I think you're right--very few men would say "no " to such a question.

However, if a man does say he doesn't like to travel, that could mean he is either socially awkward or dead broke. I suspect the question might sometimes be an indirect way of ferreting that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships