Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM

348 posts, read 550,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
This mostly applies to online dating though it can apply to blind dates. What do you do when your online date is much fatter or uglier than their picture? I had a situation like this recently. Went to a bar and couldn't find my date. I called her and she told me was at the bar. I finally make out which girl is her. Problem is that she was fatter than her pic. Like 20-30 lbs heavier. She didn't really look like her pic anymore. Clearly taken like 2 years ago. I gave her one glance up and down and told her this won't work out, then left the bar. She did text me later, but I was done with her. Whats the protocol in these situations.
I don't have a lot of experience in online dating, but I've been on several bad blind dates.

One always should be respectful and act like a man. This means following through with the date. Have a few drinks and be cool. Spend a little time, then politely say it was nice to meet you and wrap things up.

When friends set me up on blind dates where they were bad from the beginning, I'm always polite throughout. I then take it out on my friends afterwards for setting me up with someone they should know I wouldn't be interested in. I hate being put in an awkward situation, friends should know better.

Anyway, I say handle it in the exact opposite way you handled it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 PM

348 posts, read 550,634 times
Quote:
And why should I accept that? I don't like liars. I like honesty. I have a lot of respect for people who are honest even if the honesty would hurt them. IF someone is willing to lie to themselves, just imagine what kind of disgusting lies they could potentially tell to you in the future.
And another thing...I don't think you'd like it if a girl showed up and did the same thing to you under the guise of 'honesty'.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,662,879 times
Who gives a S**t if they arent a supermodel. Finish the date then move on. I would simply because I wouldn't do what you did. But that's me. You were being a jerk. Imagine you going for a job interview and she is the interviewer. One thing I leaned is you do not burn bridges

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-18-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,787,317 times
the respectful thing to do is to be kind and mature....never to walk out b/c they're not who you've expected them to be. You're not wasting that person's time by sitting and talking to him/her. You're being polite and respectful to the person who also made an effort to meet with you.

This is certainly how my current boyfriend and I started off. Long story short, I usually date guys who are very handsome. We met on a blind date and he WAS NOT at all what I expected...looks wise and weight wise. I was terribly disappointed after our first date. But I made it a point to get to know him, and not obsess with how he looked b/c excess weight is something that can change, given that a person is motivated and willing to change. It took a while (several months), and it certainly wasn't easy. THis is what has happened and I am so very happy that I didn't let our first encounter dictate our future b/c if I did, I'd be like so many miserable people out there...Always chasing those elusive windmills like Don Quixote...

Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,490,960 times
Quote:
And why should I accept that? I don't like liars. I like honesty. I have a lot of respect for people who are honest even if the honesty would hurt them. IF someone is willing to lie to themselves, just imagine what kind of disgusting lies they could potentially tell to you in the future.
What you are showing here is not "honesty." It is a passive-aggressive form of hostility.

You are like the person who says, "I should warn you, I have a sarcastic sense of humor," when what they really mean is, "I am bitter, angry and cruel, but I am too chicken to confront people openly. So I just tear them down and pretend I am joking."

For some reason, you are bitter and angry and want to lash out, but are hiding that fact by pretending you are "just being honest."

Guess what? Most women see right through that.

Stop being a whining, passive aggressive little boy, and start acting like a decent, adult man.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,563,006 times
3 things
Treat her good then end the date after dinner early
Stop getting women off the Internet
Reassess your Trust level of people

Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,228,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
That was nasty.

Always meet up. You never know what they're really like.

I've met some chicks that on first glance were plain or whatever but after I got to know them a little bit more, I realized I was very attracted to them because they were really confident and had their head screwed on straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That was really ignorant. Sounds like SHE dodged a bullet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
You're a prick.

If they look differently than the pictures you beat off to, you still treat them like a person.

Decency is a thing of the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Hopefully you will one day realize who the real ugly person was in your story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You are so cool. You act like a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good grief.

Just when I think there is hope for you, you go and post something like this
Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting in this thread, or going past the first page.

Good grief.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 PM

803 posts, read 1,671,296 times
Quote:
This mostly applies to online dating though it can apply to blind dates. What do you do when your online date is much fatter or uglier than their picture? I had a situation like this recently. Went to a bar and couldn't find my date. I called her and she told me was at the bar. I finally make out which girl is her. Problem is that she was fatter than her pic. Like 20-30 lbs heavier. She didn't really look like her pic anymore. Clearly taken like 2 years ago. I gave her one glance up and down and told her this won't work out, then left the bar. She did text me later, but I was done with her. Whats the protocol in these situations.

Though you went a bit overboard with the rejection (the up and down glance), I don't blame you for walking out. I have met girls that claimed to be a few inches taller than they are, which is strange, but that's about the extent of my interactions with liars on dating sites.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,508,779 times
Quote:
...Whats the protocol in these situations.
Life would be so much easier if people just approached these situations with the absolute minimum of expectations and just made the best of it.

[or at least had a drink or two...]

Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,516,992 times
Quote:
That really wasn't a nice thing to do. The least you could have done was finish the date and then tell her you do not think she is your type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships