Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:31 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,613,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Me either. Sounds like a closet control issue.
That was my reaction, too, though I might remove the "closet" part. It's not very well-hidden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 04:40 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,354,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Guys! This is not about her changing her hair. She can do that if she wants. This is about her being upset that I did not say "I love it" I had no idea what these highlights/lowlights things were. When she came to the door with some blonde streaks in her hair I was very surprised. I think it was obvious the look on my face when I saw it. It was not what I was expecting. She still looks great. I know the highlights are not permanent or anything. It just wanted advice on what to say for her not to be upset about me telling her the truth instead of just saying "It looks great, I love it" which is not what I think.
She has had a stressful week. Whatever it will pass over but I just don't understand why she is upset that I told her the truth. I don't want to lie, say I love it and then have her redo the highlights in a few months.
Sooo... you were startled speechless by HIGHLIGHTS? Surely you've seen them on other females out in the wild, no?

I doubt she wants you to say that this is your favorite hairstyle YOU EVER SAW ON HER.

Be serious. She just wants affirmation that she still looks attractive to you with this new look. You haven't given that to her because you're afraid she'll do it again? Yes... this is a control issue. What if she does it again because she goes to work and gets compliments from everyone else she sees?

Tell her that the hair looks good, even if you don't care for it that way... unless the hair itself... independent of your preferred method of styling/coloring is simply horrible. In which case, you tell her you love her and you think she is beautiful, no matter what she does to her hair.

Then, you tell her you prefer her natural color, but it's her hair, so she should feel free to style it however she likes.

Then... you shut up about it.

You probably hurt her feelings by standing there looking all slack jawed instead of being polite.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:41 PM

Just tell her to come read this thread. Sheesh. You just said she still looks great. That's really all she needs you to say, man.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That was my reaction, too, though I might remove the "closet" part. It's not very well-hidden.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,705,578 times
You probably did not compliment her enough on her old color to make her keep it. If I were you, I'd start there, and do it HARD.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You probably did not compliment her enough on her old color to make her keep it. If I were you, I'd start there, and do it HARD.

This is a pretty good idea. When a woman knows you like her haircolor, haircut, length of hair, etc... she'll generally try to work within the parameters of what you've indicated you enjoy most.

For example... you love the length of her hair... that's your favorite thing about her hair.... so, you tell you that you love long hair on her and you tell her how good she looks with long hair? She will more than likely not go bob it off short... she may fluctuate with the length a little for new styles or try out fun colors, but she will keep some length on it for the most part.

If you tell her that her auburn hair is the most beautiful shade of red you ever saw? She might mix it up with the hairstyles, but she will likely leave it pretty much alone/similar as color goes.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:14 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,928,502 times
You can always say something like:

I'm really glad you like your new hair color.

I'm a mom of two teens and I end up saying things like that a lot. I'm so glad you had a good time picking out that new outfit. Acknowledge the feeling of the experience without necessarily admiring the result.

My exhusband used to say that short hair was for old ladies. He was not exactly the king of tact.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
You can always say something like:

I'm really glad you like your new hair color.

I'm a mom of two teens and I end up saying things like that a lot. I'm so glad you had a good time picking out that new outfit. Acknowledge the feeling of the experience without necessarily admiring the result.

My exhusband used to say that short hair was for old ladies. He was not exactly the king of tact.

I love it when old women have very long hair. My great-grandmother had hair down to her waist until the day she died.

I don't know who wrote all those hair rules, but they were mistaken. There are no rules.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:23 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,035,484 times
She was telling me her hair looked "dead" for the past week. I told her it doesn't, and I love the way her hair looks multiple times. She tried something different. I was surprised that she went with blonde highlights, that is all.

Anyway. Thanks for the advice. Especially the psychological advice on my closet controlling attitude. Guess I should get that checked out...

Old 12-07-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
She was telling me her hair looked "dead" for the past week. I told her it doesn't, and I love the way her hair looks multiple times. She tried something different. I was surprised that she went with blonde highlights, that is all.

Anyway. Thanks for the advice. Especially the psychological advice on my closet controlling attitude. Guess I should get that checked out...

Hey now... don't get offended. Plenty of people don't realize how much control they like to exert over their environments until it gets tested.

Doesn't mean you're a bad guy... I told you I wasn't trying to insult you and I wasn't.

We all want some measure of control, when you think about it. I was just suggesting that you might not have realized that you let your desire for control over how your GF presents her hair override your ability to be tactful about her new look when she took you by surprise with it.

One thing is pretty clear now... she won't surprise you again... she will warn you well in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships