Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:55 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Others will say if a person's got nothing to hide, it shouldn't matter & if anyone can look through your stuff, well surely your spouse/SO should be able to.
I tend to believe in the latter myself. What does everyone think?
Why does it have to be about having something to hide or not? There is more to it than that. I have nothing to hide but I still would not let my girlfriends look into my email or accounts. Why? Because it is not just MY personal stuff in there but the personal stuff friends of mine share with me. It is not MY privacy I am protecting by keeping other people out of my accounts - it is THEIRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 04:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I stand by my statement, which was in response to jw2 saying " If I were in wry's shoes, related or not, that would be the last I would speak to either".

I DO feel really sorry for someone like her would could be so shallow and short-sighted as to completely write off a beloved family member, someone they truly love and enjoy being with, simply because of some hurt feelings and mistakes made on all sides.

The concept of forgiveness and agape love is apparently lost on some folks
There is no such thing as completely unconditional (agape) love. All love has conditions and a breaking point. "Simply because of hurt feelings?" Are you ing me? This is much bigger than "hurt feelings." Betrayal hurts like a and it is something you can barely recover from. I do not blame Wry at all for severing that relationship, hell I'd encourage it if one of my friends was betrayed like that.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
I stand by my statement, which was in response to jw2 saying " If I were in wry's shoes, related or not, that would be the last I would speak to either".

I DO feel really sorry for someone like her would could be so shallow and short-sighted as to completely write off a beloved family member, someone they truly love and enjoy being with, simply because of some hurt feelings and mistakes made on all sides.

Oh, please. "Forgiveness" does not mean that you have to let the other person into your life. "Forgiveness" means that you let go of the hurt and anger. Wry isn't there yet....and she doesn't need anyone else making her feel badly because of it. She feels badly enough about the situation without the finger-pointing and minimizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It's slightly hypocritical to call someone "shallow and short-sighted" and then immediately chastise them for not grasping the idea of agape
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There is no such thing as completely unconditional (agape) love. All love has conditions and a breaking point. "Simply because of hurt feelings?" Are you ing me? This is much bigger than "hurt feelings." Betrayal hurts like a and it is something you can barely recover from. I do not blame Wry at all for severing that relationship, hell I'd encourage it if one of my friends was betrayed like that.
Agreed. Lovesmountains is minimizing the betrayal that Wry felt....and even blaming her for it. Yes, Wry made the "mistake" (REALLY?) of trusting her sister. But Wry has every right to feel the way that she feels and I don't get people actually telling her she is wrong.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Yet on another thread you recommended that a girl ditch the man she loves for no other reason than he did not see her point of view first time off the bat when she explained it to her. I do not think you are in the position to lecture others on love and forgiveness and understanding here.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Why does it have to be about having something to hide or not? There is more to it than that. I have nothing to hide but I still would not let my girlfriends look into my email or accounts. Why? Because it is not just MY personal stuff in there but the personal stuff friends of mine share with me. It is not MY privacy I am protecting by keeping other people out of my accounts - it is THEIRS.
Teach your friends this important lesson my father taught me:

NEVER EVER WRITE ANYTHING DOWN YOU DON'T WANT THE WHOLE WORLD TO FIND OUT.

It's just dumb. If they have problems, they should speak to you...not write it down. Especially now...the internet is not a secure place. My father told me that before the internet took off - and he is right.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've got nothing "bad" to hide, but that doesn't mean I don't want some privacy. No, my SO does not have carte blanche to read my emails or private messages. We have a lot of mutual friends and sometimes one of them may say something to me in confidance or I may vent about him to someone, or I may be planning a surprise.

Our wallets are not off-limits to one another (if someone needs to grab some cash) but I've never, ever looked through it. I don't know what I'd be expecting to find?
No, no, no, no...now THAT I find a breach of trust.
You have a problem with ME, you talk to ME. Not dirty laundry all over the universe AND IN EMAIL FORM?! Holy crap, what a terrible and ludicrous idea.

Also, maybe it's because you're not married, but if anyone tells me something, I am not hiding it from my wife. I may not tell her because it doesn't come up or isn't relevant or I forget about it...but I am not keeping deliberate secrets from her (and I tell everyone this up front). Haven't had anyone have any problems; in fact, all of my friends have brought her into their "circle of trust" and ask to speak to BOTH of us if they are having problems, etc.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Teach your friends this important lesson my father taught me:

NEVER EVER WRITE ANYTHING DOWN YOU DON'T WANT THE WHOLE WORLD TO FIND OUT.

It's just dumb. If they have problems, they should speak to you...not write it down. Especially now...the internet is not a secure place. My father told me that before the internet took off - and he is right.
Not really advice I follow myself - but regardless the crux of my point is that I do not lock people out of my email and other accounts to protect my own privacy - but the privacy of the people I have been conversing with. Even my own girlfriends do not have access to my accounts - not because I have anything to hide - but because I value the privacy of the people I talk with myself.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
yet on another thread you recommended that a girl ditch the man she loves for no other reason than he did not see her point of view first time off the bat when she explained it to her. I do not think you are in the position to lecture others on love and forgiveness and understanding here.
Thank you.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 01-31-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Oh, please. "Forgiveness" does not mean that you have to let the other person into your life. "Forgiveness" means that you let go of the hurt and anger. Wry isn't there yet....and she doesn't need anyone else making her feel badly because of it. She feels badly enough about the situation without the finger-pointing and minimizing.

Yes.

Agreed. Lovesmountains is minimizing the betrayal that Wry felt....and even blaming her for it. Yes, Wry made the "mistake" (REALLY?) of trusting her sister. But Wry has every right to feel the way that she feels and I don't get people actually telling her she is wrong.
We are getting way off topic here , I have not "minimized" Wry's feelings, only encouraged her not to stay stuck in them.

In addition, I have said repeatedly that her "mistake" was in ASSUMING what she wrote in an email would not be seen by anyone else.

It's been my observation that Wry is an intelligent young woman, but even smart people sometimes need fresh perspective - which is all I attempted to gave her.

I have not told her she is wrong for being hurt, upset or angry, especially at her brother-in-law. Again, I just encouraged her to work on getting past this without wasting more time.

If she was close enough to her sister to want to share such private info, then theirs is a precious relationship that is worth repairing before too much time is wasted.

People tend to mistakenly believe that they have all the time in the world with those they love. They put off saying things or doing things they think they will eventually get around to.

I'm here to say, none of us knows how much time we really have - so please don't waste any of it.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
My take on Wry's sister is that she's a wife first, sister second. If she cleaves to her husband to the point where she condones his not only reading a private email but also being dumb and rude enough to blab about it in front of others, then yes, she should be lumped with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships