Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:16 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times

Advertisements

I've never considered that in dating someone. Exact income wouldn't be in my criteria for marrying either....
He should work & earn his own living & be a functional adult. That is my criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So - you basically started a poll asking women to show you how shallow they are with out trying to justify their shallowness because you already know that they are shallow and why they are shallow? And you don't understand why it's not a "nice" thread? Really?

For the record, if I found myself single right now, I wouldn't marry again unless the man was financially stable. This has no minimum income attached to it - but I have two sons so I would need to make sure that whoever I married was stable and responsible. When I met my husband, I didn't have any idea how much he made. We were both on the same tour together. In the years since we have been together, his salary has surpassed my wildest dreams - but we still aren't rich. I had no idea he would ever make this much and I certainly never had any "minimum" salary requirements. The guy that I was engaged to before was unemployed some of the time that we were together and it was never an issue. Actually, I wanted him to turn down some of the jobs he took to focus on what he said he really wanted to do - because I thought it would make him happier in the long run.

I'm actually surprised at this poll coming from you. I thought we women only cared about looks. I guess now we only care about looks AND money. Funny, I thought it was my husband's spicy sense of humor that got my attention…
The poll was started for the very reason of being objective. There's nothing bitter or biased about it at all. If you don't care about $, then you check the appropriate box. They are definitely there. I clearly included NONE and 15/hr there. And even 50K and 75K are not outrageous sums of $. Furthermore, from the results, you can see it is certainly important to many women. And even you admit that 15/hr with two sons just does not cut it.

Regardless, a number of women have said they don't care and I believe them. I think it has been productive for some men to read those posts. I wanted an overall picture of my chances, and right now it's less than half, but that's not too bad.

Last edited by JJS99; 03-15-2014 at 06:26 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 06:27 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Regardless, a number of women have said they don't care and I believe them. I wanted an overall picture of my chances, and right now it's less than half, but that's not too bad.
You look at it wrong. It's not less then half but 100% with the right women.

Most women want a hard working man who will treat her well and make a good father to their kids. He may not have star earning power but can support his share of the family.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Most women want a hard working man who will treat her well and make a good father to their kids. He may not have star earning power but can support his share of the family.
That's how I think about it.

As long as a woman is trying, that's good enough for me. I would like to find someone with the same attitude. I just like to know my odds.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
As long as a woman is trying, that's good enough for me. I would like to find someone with the same attitude. I just like to know my odds.
You're odds are excellent. I was fortunate to marry a woman from a humble background and she was very common sense on her spending and wants.
It's not so much a female expectation of income but an expectation on how she wants to live.

Just choose wisely. A Modest man cannot support a Princess.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 AM

527 posts, read 600,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My question is do you really believe the average normal woman has a minimum required yearly income a guy must be earning to consider marriage.

I have known exactly one woman in my 50+ years that was that shallow.

What I have noticed lately as we hire a lot of college students who seem to graduate, get engaged then marry while employed here, is that the women these guys are marrying are and will be making more money. These couples are more interested in love than numbers.
This. I know a very small number of women who care about this (or penis size, for that matter) in real life. They tend to to be extraordinarily shallow.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
This. I know a very small number of women who care about this (or penis size, for that matter) in real life. They tend to to be extraordinarily shallow.
It seems the poll says you are dead wrong.

Though I will say the amount of women who have responded that they don't care is encouraging.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:48 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
The poll was started for the very reason of being objective. There's nothing bitter or biased about it at all. If you don't care about $, then you check the appropriate box. They are definitely there. I clearly included NONE and 15/hr there. And even 50K and 75K are not outrageous sums of $. Furthermore, from the results, you can see it is certainly important to many women. And even you admit that 15/hr with two sons just does not cut it.

Regardless, a number of women have said they don't care and I believe them. I think it has been productive for some men to read those posts. I wanted an overall picture of my chances, and right now it's less than half, but that's not too bad.
I know you sent me a PM asking me to be nice to you because I'm obviously upsetting you - but this is part of the problem. I post that, since I have 2 sons now, I would need to date someone STABLE and RESPONSIBLE - and you tell me that I ADMITTED that 15/hr with two sons just does not cut it. No, I did not. Nowhere in my post did I say that. You say that you are not bitter or biased at all - and yet you clearly read something into my post that simply isn't there. And now, you have just PM'd me that I'm on ignore. And that's totally fine. But I think that everyone else needs to see this.

Stable and responsible doesn't have a minimum income. Polls like this are flawed because financially responsible people want financially responsible people - and that is far more important than actual income. And this is not because "women want the man with the most money" or nonsense like that. I alluded to this in my earlier post - arguments over finances arise when people don't have the same outlook financially. Now, this wouldn't have been as big of a problem when I was single in my early 20's and just starting out because saving wasn't as important to me. I didn't have very much money, a house wasn't on my radar, I didn't plan on having kids any time soon, etc. But if I was to be single now, I have mortgage payments, bills, and 2 children. I couldn't marry someone who spent every dime he made and then some. I couldn't marry someone who made enough to pay his rent but didn't seem to have the money when the rent was due. Now, if was was single again right now - I wouldn't be living somewhere that I couldn't afford - so I wouldn't be dependent on someone else's income to pay for my housing. But if I were to get married again - I would need to make sure that they were STABLE and RESPONSIBLE so that their spending habits didn't endanger my financial ability to take care of my children.

And Rakin is right - this poll has nothing to do with your chances. Your chances are 100% with the right woman and 0% with the wrong woman. And most women do not have a minimum income in mind. But if you ask someone to take a poll - many people will simply decide on the choice that they think might make the most sense to them even if they would not make such a limitation in reality.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:10 AM

527 posts, read 600,791 times
Quote:
It seems the poll says you are dead wrong..
The people who frequent this board are not a representative sample of the population, thank Gawd. Not even close. The "men" here are probably an even more distorted sample, but the women aren't exactly what I would call normal. I don't find real life women to be obsessed with men's salaries or penis size, just like I don't find real life men to be obsessed with women's number of partners, age, or weight.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
The people who frequent this board are not a representative sample of the population, thank Gawd. Not even close. The "men" here are probably an even more distorted sample, but the women aren't exactly what I would call normal. I don't find real life women to be obsessed with men's salaries or penis size, just like I don't find real life men to be obsessed with women's number of partners, age, or weight.
I agree COMPLETELY! Or maybe you and I just hang around really strange people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships