Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 04:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,165 times

Advertisements

What if he makes the $15/hour but has millions on the bank?
Or what if he makes the $125k/year but is heavily in debt?

How would we know what he has unless they actually tell us? My xbf had a crappy ass job, lowest on the totem pole. But yet, um, he had a lot of money....to the point where he didn't really have to worry and could retire by 40....almost. Of course, no one would know otherwise by looking at him and his lifestyle.

At this point in my life, I'd rather just have someone that is financially responsible and isn't struggling. Oh, and isn't a total tightwad either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 04:45 PM

867 posts, read 909,683 times
This is going to sound so politically incorrect but, but, but I'm being honest. After reading the posts in this thread and the responses in this thread I thank my luck stars I'm Hispanic and only date Hispanic women; these are white people problems k:

Old 03-15-2014, 04:48 PM

288 posts, read 255,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
What if he makes the $15/hour but has millions on the bank?
Or what if he makes the $125k/year but is heavily in debt?

How would we know what he has unless they actually tell us? My xbf had a crappy ass job, lowest on the totem pole. But yet, um, he had a lot owf money....to the point where he didn't really have to worry and could retire by 40....almost. Of course, no one would know otherwise by looking at him and his lifestyle.

At this point in my life, I'd rather just have someone that is financially responsible and isn't struggling. Oh, and isn't a total tightwad either.
If he makes 15 and has millions, well no thank you, if he has debt what kind? Student or gambling? Big difference

Old 03-15-2014, 04:59 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,944 times
For me money is very important but what is equally important is enjoying what you do for work . Sure not every day going to be rainbows and unicorns .It remind s me of the joke if your about to have open heart surgery and the Dr doing the surgery is shadow boxing in the corner your going to die . know one loves there job that much every day.

For me it is about being challenged and having up word mobility in the field your in. That being said if a made 4k to 8k take home a month working 3 or 4 days a week that would be perfect but that is just me.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:06 PM

589 posts, read 639,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kch84 View Post
If he makes 15 and has millions, well no thank you, if he has debt what kind? Student or gambling? Big difference

So you're going to turn down someone who has millions over someone who has a better job and a ton of debt? Student loans don't exactly go away in a few months.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:09 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,127 times
Hypothetically, I would expect him to make at least what I make, preferably more.

Not because I believe any bull**** about being "taken care of" or because I want a man to "spoil" me. No sirree! But I make what I would consider to be the minimum needed for a decent lifestyle in my city. If he made even less than I do, it would be tough to swing occasional nights out a the theater, good quality food and drink, and many of the small things I enjoy. (Not talking limos and cristal--more like exotic ethnic cuisine at a hole-in-the-wall.) I don't want to have to sit at home because he can't afford to go anywhere and I can't afford to cover his share out of my own small salary.

I think it works best when people have approximately the same income, but hope to increase my income in the next few years, so I wouldn't mind if he got there ahead of me.

My real-life boyfriend makes almost twice what I do. (Still a fairly modest income--hey, I told you my salary sucks!) I am very proud of his success. Someday we are going to be a power couple!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
So you're going to turn down someone who has millions over someone who has a better job and a ton of debt? Student loans don't exactly go away in a few months.
No, I said I would be ok with someone with someone with student debt , opposed to other, And I have none

Old 03-15-2014, 05:18 PM

589 posts, read 639,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kch84 View Post
No, I said I would be ok with someone with someone with student debt , opposed to other, And I have none

You also said:

Quote:
If he makes 15 and has millions, well no thank you

Why is that a problem, but debt is not?

Old 03-15-2014, 05:30 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times
It depends on where you live. I live in Seattle and have come to the conclusion that if your a guy that makes less than 50k, your dating life will be difficult if you like attractive women over the age of 30.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:31 PM

Don't cut off replyd, not Oktoberfest suit your wants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships