Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Agreed. Many women who are looking for guys who are bringing in the dough probably won't find him.

Most millionaires don't look like they are millionaires.

I am probably the wealthiest out of all my group of friends (no e brag) but they honestly think I am flat out broke. Not because I am shrewd or anything. My car is 10+ years old. I am still renting. I mostly pack a lunch to work, except on Fridays when coworkers all go out. I definitely have no problem covering for someone's cost if they forgot their wallet or something. However I don't look the part of being even middle class or anything.

Have you no visible means of support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:56 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Agreed. Many women who are looking for guys who are bringing in the dough probably won't find him.

Most millionaires don't look like they are millionaires.

I am probably the wealthiest out of all my group of friends (no e brag) but they honestly think I am flat out broke. Not because I am shrewd or anything. My car is 10+ years old. I am still renting. I mostly pack a lunch to work, except on Fridays when coworkers all go out. I definitely have no problem covering for someone's cost if they forgot their wallet or something. However I don't look the part of being even middle class or anything.

I was very happily married for 20+ years and lost my husband a year ago. I made about twice what he made, but he was by far the most honorable man I could EVER possibly know. I'm not looking right now, and if I was it would definitely not be on the internet. I'm basically just killing time in here for now.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Why the hell should I downgrade my lifestyle? I went to college and grad school for a whole bunch of years and work hard .... very hard. If his ego can't handle my income, then too flippin bad for HIM. If I really expected equality then I'd be limiting myself to dating men in the top 5% income bracket.

Looks more like YOUR ego can't handle HIS income.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Lots and lots of people went to college and even grad school for a whole bunch of years and work hard - and they've had to downgrade their lifestyle.
What I said in the original post that he quoted, though, is that I won't downgrade my lifestyle to make a man happier who makes far less than I do -- just to satisfy his ego. I'm more than happy to continue to pay for my lifestyle, but some men just can't handle being with a woman whose income far exceeds his. I'm not going to change my lifestyle for some man's silly ego -- he just wouldn't be a good match for me.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:59 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Quote:
Discouraged unemployed workers stop looking for work for a reason. Hasn't insanity been defined as continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results?
That's illogical perhaps, not insane.

I was unemployed for over 2 years myself. There are near endless options to scourging up work, and a little variation makes for a new action, so different results CAN be hoped for. Every job you apply for is different, so it's not the exact same action to just keep sending out resumes.

I created jobs for myself. I bought vintage clothes & sold them online. I signed up for private tutoring sites & got several clients. Etc. No, I didn't make much money, but I was working & it showed a mentality. In the meantime, I was constantly changing up my resume AND keeping big gaps off it with my little side jobs. No, I didn't have time for dating.

And if someone is out of work that long & so discouraged so as to stop trying - still not in the right place for a relationship. I know, cuz I was there, including periods of discouragement. It's not lack of sympathy, but knowing what's involved.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Looks more like YOUR ego can't handle HIS income.
I had no problem with the difference in incomes between me and my husband -- nor did he. There was a whole lot that we both brought to the table besides our income. But some men can't handle it.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
Quote:
I had no problem with the difference in incomes between me and my husband -- nor did he. There was a whole lot that we both brought to the table besides our income. But some men can't handle it.
Well I am sure it is not a good feeling that your woman makes 2 to 3 times more then you and if you have a kid it is hard to look at your self as a man and say life is beautiful. On top of that most woman will throw it in your face I hear it all the time from guys when there GF/wife make a significant amount more then they do. I hear you a POS you do not make enough money ? Then if the guy get a 2nd job he will get the old you are never home why are you working all the time ?

It is also called a thing called heart to want to provide for your family we are just driven to do so . If a girl made more money then me I would get another full time or part time job to put food on the table.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
What I said in the original post that he quoted, though, is that I won't downgrade my lifestyle to make a man happier who makes far less than I do -- just to satisfy his ego. I'm more than happy to continue to pay for my lifestyle, but some men just can't handle being with a woman whose income far exceeds his. I'm not going to change my lifestyle for some man's silly ego -- he just wouldn't be a good match for me.

Oh okay, I missed that - certainly a reasonable position you have. So you can also disregard my other comment.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:

I stand corrected; I did not correctly read your earlier post. (Note to self: Reading Is Fundamental.)

Old 03-16-2014, 12:31 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
It depends on where you live. I live in Seattle and have come to the conclusion that if your a guy that makes less than 50k, your dating life will be difficult if you like attractive women over the age of 30.
I second that and some people in Seattle making less then 50k will have to be turning tricks just to pay rent. There is no such thing as cheap rent in King county it like trying to find a unicorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships