Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:32 PM

663 posts, read 778,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You are correct here.

It's like asking a guy how big a woman's boobs need to be or what number she needs to be on a scale from 1-10 to get him to date her.

If a guy just happens to get to know a girl and she's really attractive to him in other ways, what "number" she is or what size boobs she has won't be the primary factor.

Not that someone throws ALL their expectations out the window. More that they are flexible expectations, but if you poll people like this here, you'll get the rigid answers.
No because a guy will honestly answer that he doesn't care. No rational is guy going to say they will reject a woman based on her boob size.

A woman on the other hand, will walk out on a date if a guy made a stupid homo joke.

Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I worked with a guy back in college who came into town with no money. None! He got job substitute teaching and made a deal with the school district. Call me to sub and I don't care what school or class, I'll be there, 100%. they called him every day, so he was a sub for two years, every day of school. He also took a waiter job at night in a decent eatery and made $100-$150 per shift in tips. He made $110 per day for subbing. He ate his meals at work and he even babysat from time to time on the weekend days...He rented a small studio and saved every penny he made for 30 months. He left town with $200,000. He went back to his home town and paid cash for two small rental units and rented them, he worked another two years the same he did where I lived. He invested that money and lived free and clear off his rental income. Today he is worth over $3 million. He never graduated college, only had an associates degree (which allowed him to sub) and never had a "professional" career or job.

I know lots of people just like him. The problem is, again, 99 out of 100 people in America today would never make the sacrifices he did. They want the flash in the pan, everything now.

??? He earned perhaps $4,000 per month and saved $7,000 per month? He made most of his $200K by investing in penny stocks?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I'm in a difficult position b/c the salary I earn is substantially high...very high. Unfortunately, there aren't many men (outside of my field) who earn more than me. It's just a fact.

That being said, I'd ideally always like my husband to earn more than me, but I know this will not happen(... this has more to do with my desire to eventually work part time and spend more time at home with the kids). .

I'd be happy with a man who earns, at the very least, $50k-$75k/yr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I want him to make enough to support his current lifestyle. I don't want to have to downgrade my lifestyle if he has an ego that can't tolerate a woman making more than he does. But here's the twist .... I also am cautious with men who are clearly looking for women with high paying careers because they want to upgrade their lifestyle. I'm generous. But I'm also not stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Curious to see if this pole will be reversed in the near future when more women are out-earning the men?

Anyways, I say 75K or more even though my boyfriend already makes more than that. I make enough on my own, but I'd like the option for BOTH of us to have a chance to stay home with children, and I'd like him to make a healthy enough income if I were to fall ill or be unable to work for an extended period of time. I think that's good planning and assuming we are talking about being caught up with inflation, 75k is livable and I am good at saving money.

I make around that mark, and I would feel comfortable with my future man/husband living off that amount if he were to fall ill.

More is preferable OBVIOUSLY (for me and him), but I'm perfectly content at 75. 50K is decent but will stretch you if you have a child. It would be pretty impossible.
Isn't it ironic that in this thread, women who make alot are not willing to downgrade their lifestyle?

What about the guys pulling $150K+ and dating stay at home moms? Aren't they essentially downgrading their lifestyle to support to wife?

I thought we are living in an equal society here?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I dated two unemployed men, giving them the benefit of the doubt. And yes, they even paid for the dates - with mommy & daddy's money. But it was a mistake. The economy was not the only factor for their state. And IMO, they should've been too focused on finding work to even have time to date.

Not all situations are the same, but I'm warier now of dating an unemployed man BECAUSE I do think far ahead.

Discouraged unemployed workers stop looking for work for a reason. Hasn't insanity been defined as continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Isn't it ironic that in this thread, women who make alot are not willing to downgrade their lifestyle?

What about the guys pulling $150K+ and dating stay at home moms? Aren't they essentially downgrading their lifestyle to support to wife?

You appear to be sorely misguided.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You spell apologize like a Brit. Haha.

Perhaps you should reprioritise your complaints.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post

Why the hell should I downgrade my lifestyle? I went to college and grad school for a whole bunch of years and work hard .... very hard. If his ego can't handle my income, then too flippin bad for HIM. If I really expected equality then I'd be limiting myself to dating men in the top 5% income bracket.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
Here is what I like about this thread less than %20.00 of Americans make $100,000.00 annually yet, yet, yet the poll indicates that %41.82 of woman and men on this message board expect a man to make $100,000.00 or more. If income is so important to you, there are going to be some terminally single men and women on here especially considering none of my friends who are in that income bracket use message boards.
Agreed. Many women who are looking for guys who are bringing in the dough probably won't find him.

Most millionaires don't look like they are millionaires.

I am probably the wealthiest out of all my group of friends (no e brag) but they honestly think I am flat out broke. Not because I am shrewd or anything. My car is 10+ years old. I am still renting. I mostly pack a lunch to work, except on Fridays when coworkers all go out. I definitely have no problem covering for someone's cost if they forgot their wallet or something. However I don't look the part of being even middle class or anything.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Why the hell should I downgrade my lifestyle? I went to college and grad school for a whole bunch of years and work hard .... very hard. If his ego can't handle my income, then too flippin bad for HIM. If I really expected equality then I'd be limiting myself to dating men in the top 5% income bracket.

Lots and lots of people went to college and even grad school for a whole bunch of years and work hard - and they've had to downgrade their lifestyle.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
That's fine and dandy but what do you bring of value to the table for a guy that makes 150K a year? Most guys don't really care that you make the same amount as him.

Are you super hot? Super easy to get along with? Even if you are both, you are gonna have a tough time finding guys since those guys usually have lots of women chasing them.

The problem with high income women is that they think their high income entitles them to a guy with high/higher income. After a while reality will hit that guys don't date the same way.

Income isn't a big factor for guys.

Just look at the video on youtube for single black women. Those women are beautiful, educated, earning lots of money, great careers, but no man.

They think that just because they worked hard at school and worked hard at a job, they DESERVE a similar black guy. Except in reality it doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships