Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2014, 04:39 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yeah but a lot of old rich dudes date/marry young hot chicks.
Amongst the extremely wealthy, perhaps. Few of us (myself included) have much cognizance of what happens in those circles.

However, this thread is implicitly about the "middle rich"... $150K/year salary, maybe a couple of million dollars split between IRA-401K-outside investments, paid-off house (or two), great corporate pension cruising towards early retirement. I don't see this demographic of middle-aged men dating/marrying "young hot chicks". Such men are most likely to already be married, to women approximately their own age - and they remain married (likelihood of divorce correlates negatively with income). But if they are single/widowed/divorced, I would think that their chances in the dating-market are not superior to those of their less materially-successful brethren.

How could this be? Well, today's "hot young chicks" aren't interested in 45-year-old orthodontists. Even if they were, social conditions present today would preclude such a match. But what about our orthodontist's female peers? Well, very few of them are available (most, remember, married a decade ago, and remain happily married). And if Mr. Orthodontist (sorry, Dr. Orthodontist) happens to live in South Bumble, where only 16% of adults graduated from college, he doesn't have much of a peer group, married or single. On the contrary, he's priced out of the market. One could argue that were he to have been a mere dental hygienist, his dating-options would have been broader.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:10 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,064,992 times
I don't care how much a man makes. I want a man who can pay his half of the bills, I leave pretty inexpensively so he could make very little and if he is good with his money, that would work for me. The feelings I have for a person are much more important.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enil View Post
Excuse me? do I know you from somewhere for you to resort to personal insults? daddy and mommy not giving you the attention you need for the day? Quite a significant percentage of the men who are hit with alimony can't get away, even if they have the best lawyers money can buy, because the family/divorce laws are quite draconian where it concerns men. Now run along to the nearest moderator and tell him to give me a warning because I don't treat poor little Ruth like the princess that she is.

You might want also to get a job while you're at it. 25k posts, man, if you could make 5 bucks per post you'd be rich by now.

Could be. But my father was a man who lived beneath his means and that meant that he managed to retired by his mid 40s. While most men were slaving away and having to wake up early in the morning to commute, my father was fishing in his cabin and smoking the Havana's most men can only dream of. Whats the point of living in the pink hills even if you have the money for it? do you want to be seen and to have people feel jealous? quality of life beats appearances, and you can have a high quality of life in a middle-class house.

I inherited my uncle's house when I turned 20 years old. It was already paid for. I already had a job that made it easy to pay the property tax and so forth. When I got myself a decent career, I met up with college friends of mine and shared the rent, making it cheaper for me to live in that community because I managed to rent my uncle's house, thus creating two sources of revenue: My job, and my uncle's house. People think they need to have big cars and gadgets to live life to the full. I'm making far more money than most of the men who are struggling to pay their rent, and since I save far more than what I spend, I'll be one of the richest men my own age, regardless of how much money the man has the potential to earn.

I don't smoke, don't drink, and although I read a lot, I get most of my books from the library. What's really funny is that most of the women I come across think I don't make much money because my closet consists of what a 20-something kid would wear, I use the same shoes when I don't have to work(some ugly things that cost me 30 bucks 10 years ago, got a spare pair of shoes for when those begin to smell) and I when I pull my wallet you don't see credit cards. You see small clips of 10's. The 100's are in my right foot, just in case I need more money.

Grandpa taught me that trick. He said it was a great way to ward off gold-diggers.
I do hope writing all that out made you feel better

Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
That passive-aggressive attempt to make me feel like an uncultured redneck made me think how it must feel to have a personal conversation with Ruth. I might have nightmares tonight. Thank you for the smile.
You sure seemed to need it!

Lighten up my friend, not all women are "the enemy"

Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
That passive-aggressive attempt to make me feel like an uncultured redneck made me think how it must feel to have a personal conversation with Ruth. I might have nightmares tonight. Thank you for the smile.
Dude, chill. Your condescending 'tude is a downer.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
If the guy is good looking and can lay it down in the bedroom than all of these women income requirement rules go out the window. Many of these ladies would probably be paying the guys bills if he gives it to them good enough.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
If the guy is good looking and can lay it down in the bedroom than all of these women income requirement rules go out the window. Many of these ladies would probably be paying the guys bills if he gives it to them good enough.
Fully agree with this. If he's offering me something else, I don't care if he makes nothing. Then again I don't want marriage or kids, so I don't care about a man being financially stable.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:

Could be. But my father was a man who lived beneath his means and that meant that he managed to retired by his mid 40s. While most men were slaving away and having to wake up early in the morning to commute, my father was fishing in his cabin and smoking the Havana's most men can only dream of. Whats the point of living in the pink hills even if you have the money for it? do you want to be seen and to have people feel jealous? quality of life beats appearances, and you can have a high quality of life in a middle-class house.

I inherited my uncle's house when I turned 20 years old. It was already paid for. I already had a job that made it easy to pay the property tax and so forth. When I got myself a decent career, I met up with college friends of mine and shared the rent, making it cheaper for me to live in that community because I managed to rent my uncle's house, thus creating two sources of revenue: My job, and my uncle's house. People think they need to have big cars and gadgets to live life to the full. I'm making far more money than most of the men who are struggling to pay their rent, and since I save far more than what I spend, I'll be one of the richest men my own age, regardless of how much money the man has the potential to earn.

I don't smoke, don't drink, and although I read a lot, I get most of my books from the library. What's really funny is that most of the women I come across think I don't make much money because my closet consists of what a 20-something kid would wear, I use the same shoes when I don't have to work(some ugly things that cost me 30 bucks 10 years ago, got a spare pair of shoes for when those begin to smell) and I when I pull my wallet you don't see credit cards. You see small clips of 10's. The 100's are in my right foot, just in case I need more money.

Grandpa taught me that trick. He said it was a great way to ward off gold-diggers.

Now, ladies, don't go around trying to look at men's feet. They stink.
Yeah - that mentality is not appealing to me at all but to each their own. As long as you are happy with your life - that's all that matters but it sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have no idea what that is intended to mean.
Be glad you don't!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I do not drink ant more just the occasional drink of red wine with dinner . I rather spent money on college then go on vacation.
I have seen some of your other post and tbh, it looks like you drunk post sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships