Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
What do you care? You're gonna be outa there as soon as you get your degree. Just tell them, Sayonara, and see how long it takes them to find someone to replace you. I know someone who had to quit a job just like that, for health reasons, and the only people who applied for the job were ex-cons and druggies. Be glad you're in school. That's your ticket to better options.
Oh I am it just when people say you make good money all i can do is laugh . Yea on paper and if it was the 1980 i be rich LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:30 PM

867 posts, read 909,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Ok back on topic I think guys are behind the curve when it comes to relationships . Woman seem to have more experience with relationships and dating them most guys do.

I am willing to bet there are way more 25+ year old guys with little to no dating experience then there are woman 25 and older with little to no dating experience.

It just makes me kind of sad that at my age of 30 i look back and say what in heck happened ? I have no long term relationships , the same kind of job i did in high school , and nothing to show for it .

I am doing everything i can to make something of myself it will not fix every thing but it a darn good start.
I still think you should go to trade school because a college degree means very little these days. I'm aware of college graduates with student loans who are not making $19.00/hr.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:41 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times
Quote:
Oh I am it just when people say you make good money all i can do is laugh . Yea on paper and if it was the 1980 i be rich LOL.
You do make good money. Enough to pay for a college education with it. Don't diss yourself, you're pulling off a major coup!

It's weird how even when people are doing well for themselves, they beat themselves up and then hit up everyone around 'em for sympathy.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I still think you should go to trade school because a college degree means very little these days. I'm aware of college graduates with student loans who are not making $19.00/hr.
Doing a trade is good but been there done that . I know what I want to do and need to stay focused and get it done.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
You do make good money. Enough to pay for a college education with it. Don't diss yourself, you're pulling off a major coup!

It's weird how even when people are doing well for themselves, they beat themselves up and then hit up everyone around 'em for sympathy.
To some people 19 an hour is good money but to me it is not. I want to go a good vacations like leave the country and I am not talking about going to vist mexico or Canada .

For me my career defines me as a person. So doing something I am passionate about matters to me a lot.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
To some people 19 an hour is good money but to me it is not. I want to go a good vacations like leave the country and I am not talking about going to vist mexico or Canada .

For me my career defines me as a person. So doing something I am passionate about matters to me a lot.
What is it you are passionate about and can do with a college degree?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
OP, so many people are behind the curve, they've made their own curve! Forget the curve, just be you. The curve is irrelevant. There's only Now. Be Here Now, and don't worry about what other people are doing.
This! Tons of people are behind the curve. So OP, why would you compare yourself to the unknown percentage of the population that did date at 17-20 (your age choice), instead of comparing yourself to those who didn't? What about those who still haven't dated, after college?

Comparisons are meaningless. You might as well feel sorry for yourself for not making as much as some of your former classmates, or for not being as good-looking as movie stars, or for any number of other comparisons you could make. Why bother? The only meaningful comparison is with yourself. Have you progressed since HS? Have you learned and matured? Had some good experiences? Helped others? Accomplished a few things? That's the only thing that counts.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
What is it you are passionate about and can do with a college degree?
I wanted to do something more beneficial to society, something that wasn't about the money. I wanted to give back to the world.

What am i passionate about there are a ton of things but most of them you can make a living doing. It is more of being challenged and like a very fast-paced work environment.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I wanted to do something more beneficial to society, something that wasn't about the money. I wanted to give back to the world.

What am i passionate about there are a ton of things but most of them you can make a living doing. It is more of being challenged and like a very fast-paced work environment.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from a college career I really am not. For example, if you wrote I really want to be a lawyer or a doctor--all doable by the way--I would then agree you need a college education. I'm genuinely writing this because I care.

This is going to be long but I have research experience in this matter. There was a study done in the seventies where Economists were puzzled because they could not find a link between having a college degree and income in life. They found there was no link. One of the Economists was a brilliant Economist and realized that a college degree is just a piece of paper with ink on it, in it of itself it did not equate to a certain amount of income. The paper gets technical from there as they try to sort out what about college would lead to higher income for some. They came up with what is called the ability bias. The ability bias basically says that while a college degree is irrelevant what is relevant to what income you earn in life is the set of skills you earn while in college i.e. ability or technical skill. In other words, if you go to Harvard and major in Philosophy you are not going to earn as much of an income as someone who goes to a Poly Technic university and majors in engineering. One learned a marketable skill in school the other didn't.

Now a days if you watch CNN on the weekends they talk about STEM areas of education as being the only thing lucrative and worth going to college for. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. This just further confirms that old paper that unless you develop some kind of marketable skill in college it pretty much is a waste of time.

I'm not writing to go into one of the STEM majors as none may appeal to you. But if you are setting your hopes that a college degree is going to change your income potential drastically you might be rudely awakened once you get it and realize it doesn't.

There are other things you can do with a college degree other than STEM but you need a plan. So, for example if you wanted to be a teacher I would say plan to major in something you can teach--the teaching profession needs science and math teachers mainly so that you know--and go to a school where you can get a BA and a license to teach at the same time. In California plenty of the state schools have such a program. If you wanted to be a social worker then I would write do volunteer work--a minimum number of hours of volunteer time is necessary for social work--and go to a school where you can get a BA and a license at the same time.

The point I'm making is that for most professions a college degree is not enough. You are going to need to go through some sort of credentialing. So plan it out otherwise you may find yourself with a college degree and still making $19/hr

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to dissuade you from a college career I really am not. For example, if you wrote I really want to be a lawyer or a doctor--all doable by the way--I would then agree you need a college education. I'm genuinely writing this because I care.

This is going to be long but I have research experience in this matter. There was a study done in the seventies where Economists were puzzled because they could not find a link between having a college degree and income in life. They found there was no link. One of the Economists was a brilliant Economist and realized that a college degree is just a piece of paper with ink on it, in it of itself it did not equate to a certain amount of income. The paper gets technical from there as they try to sort out what about college would lead to higher income for some. They came up with what is called the ability bias. The ability bias basically says that while a college degree is irrelevant what is relevant to what income you earn in life is the set of skills you earn while in college i.e. ability or technical skill. In other words, if you go to Harvard and major in Philosophy you are not going to earn as much of an income as someone who goes to a Poly Technic university and majors in engineering. One learned a marketable skill in school the other didn't.

Now a days if you watch CNN on the weekends they talk about STEM areas of education as being the only thing lucrative and worth going to college for. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. This just further confirms that old paper that unless you develop some kind of marketable skill in college it pretty much is a waste of time.

I'm not writing to go into one of the STEM majors as none may appeal to you. But if you are setting your hopes that a college degree is going to change your income potential drastically you might be rudely awakened once you get it and realize it doesn't.

There are other things you can do with a college degree other than STEM but you need a plan. So, for example if you wanted to be a teacher I would say plan to major in something you can teach--the teaching profession needs science and math teachers mainly so that you know--and go to a school where you can get a BA and a license to teach at the same time. In California plenty of the state schools have such a program. If you wanted to be a social worker then I would write do volunteer work--a minimum number of hours of volunteer time is necessary for social work--and go to a school where you can get a BA and a license at the same time.

The point I'm making is that for most professions a college degree is not enough. You are going to need to go through some sort of credentialing. So plan it out otherwise you may find yourself with a college degree and still making $19/hr
I know what i want to do it just a matter of staying focused . School is not hard for me it just staying on task and not get all ADHD .

I plain is to get my BSN in nursing then do that for a few years go back to college and get my masters so i can be a nurse practitioner specializing in pediatrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships