Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 9,678 times

Advertisements

Guy #2 would not have thought you were being creepy :P you didn't just know him from a street corner. you technically "knew" him from your class together. Lots of people say the best place to meet new mates is at places like mutual hobby meet-ups, classes, etc. So now all you have to do is attend the same class time again to see if hes there.

Not being a moron helps too though lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Man up, OP and do a cold approach and so what if he rejects you because hes got a gf or wife, Lol

Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels4ever View Post
Guy #2 would not have thought you were being creepy :P you didn't just know him from a street corner. you technically "knew" him from your class together. Lots of people say the best place to meet new mates is at places like mutual hobby meet-ups, classes, etc. So now all you have to do is attend the same class time again to see if hes there.

Not being a moron helps too though lol
It's a no-brainer, OP. And you already have a convo topic for an opener, if you need one--talking about films, or local theater recommendations, or just saying you're new in town.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I've been out of the dating scene for a while now and I'm just starting to get back in. Moved to a new city so it's kind of weird, and I'm trying to figure out WTF guys want!!

Guys on here are always saying that girls should initiate the conversation, but I have no idea how to do this. I'm so out of practice.

Example #1:

I'm at the local pharmacy. Just got done with a run so I'm sweaty, but I don't sweat a lot so I'm not super gross or anything. There's a cute guy at the counter waiting for the cashier to come up and ring him out. He smiles at me. I feel like an idiot because I'm 1.) buying blister bandages, which doesn't exactly scream "sexy." 2.) I have no idea if he is smiling at me because he thinks I'm cute, or if he is just being polite, or what.

So I just give a quick smile and look away and ignore him, because I am a moron.

Example #2:

I just get done with a class I'm taking. It's not the normal session I usually take, so there are people that I don't really know there. One of them is a guy who is pretty cute. On the walk home I end up standing next to him on the street corner. He's got his earbuds in so I say "Hey, it's you."

He takes his earbuds out and starts talking. Asks me where I'm going, and I say home. He asks if a certain theater is having shows that night, and I say I have no idea. He tells me he's on his way to work, and instead of saying something like "where do you work?" I just say "oh, cool." Finally he kind of gives up talking to me and crosses the street, and he reminds me of his name as he walks away. I don't know if I'm supposed to give him mine or just assume he is being cordial.

Again, because I am a moron.

Bottom line is, I'm not sure if these guys want to be approached or if I'm misreading signals. I don't want to be some creepy chick who hits on random dudes at the pharmacy or on the street corner, and I also assume that if they were really that into me they'd be the ones doing the chasing.:

Am I right about this, or should I have tried a little harder?
I wish creepy chicks hit on me

Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,365 times
now you know how we feel

Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Man up, OP and do a cold approach and so what if he rejects you because hes got a gf or wife, Lol
The married ones are usually the good ones.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
now you know how we feel
Oh I know how you feel.The anxiety, nervousness, turning red, the unwear suddenly up your butt and you want to pick it but you are talking to the guy now.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
I've been out of the dating scene for a while now and I'm just starting to get back in. Moved to a new city so it's kind of weird, and I'm trying to figure out WTF guys want!!

Guys on here are always saying that girls should initiate the conversation, but I have no idea how to do this. I'm so out of practice.

Example #1:

I'm at the local pharmacy. Just got done with a run so I'm sweaty, but I don't sweat a lot so I'm not super gross or anything. There's a cute guy at the counter waiting for the cashier to come up and ring him out. He smiles at me. I feel like an idiot because I'm 1.) buying blister bandages, which doesn't exactly scream "sexy." 2.) I have no idea if he is smiling at me because he thinks I'm cute, or if he is just being polite, or what.

So I just give a quick smile and look away and ignore him, because I am a moron.

Example #2:

I just get done with a class I'm taking. It's not the normal session I usually take, so there are people that I don't really know there. One of them is a guy who is pretty cute. On the walk home I end up standing next to him on the street corner. He's got his earbuds in so I say "Hey, it's you."

He takes his earbuds out and starts talking. Asks me where I'm going, and I say home. He asks if a certain theater is having shows that night, and I say I have no idea. He tells me he's on his way to work, and instead of saying something like "where do you work?" I just say "oh, cool." Finally he kind of gives up talking to me and crosses the street, and he reminds me of his name as he walks away. I don't know if I'm supposed to give him mine or just assume he is being cordial.

Again, because I am a moron.

Bottom line is, I'm not sure if these guys want to be approached or if I'm misreading signals. I don't want to be some creepy chick who hits on random dudes at the pharmacy or on the street corner, and I also assume that if they were really that into me they'd be the ones doing the chasing.

Now you know how guys feel

Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Bottom line is, I'm not sure if these guys want to be approached or if I'm misreading signals. I don't want to be some creepy chick who hits on random dudes at the pharmacy or on the street corner, and I also assume that if they were really that into me they'd be the ones doing the chasing.

You certainly COULD have tried harder, but nobody's going to fault you for not doing so.

You're in a good position; as a woman looking to put moves on men, you can afford to be a bit "bolder" than men who would make the first move without looking creepy. In fact, I've never heard of a woman described as "creepy" in that scenario. Guys might be a little intimidated, but it would be rare for anybody to think BADLY of you for starting a conversation.

I've been cold approached once in my entire life under what I'd call "normal" circumstances (the reason for that clarification is boring, just trust me here):

She walked up to me, standing with 2 of my friends in line for a movie, and said, "Are you seeing anyone?". After an awkward couple of seconds while I tried to compose myself, having never been asked that before, she broke the silence with "Here's my number. Call me if you'd like to have dinner sometime."

FLOORED. Such a baller move on her part...I'm still impressed by it years later. I'm sure there's some real idiots out there, but I can't even imagine someone viewing that as "creepy".

Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times
Quote:

<...snip...>
"Guys on here" != most guys out there.

Don't make the mistake that whatever guys say on here about "who should initiate" is what most guys in the real world believe.

For me personally, I file this under "who cares". Sometimes I've initiated, sometimes she has. In the end, we're still engaging with each other and sometimes that led to a date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships