Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,264,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Have you considered that your GF may be dating you because she is rebelling against her parents?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
How so?
If she is anything like her parents they are also brash New Yorkers. Her parents may be thinking "Oh no, our daughter is dating this mild mannered, milquetoast, wimpy, provincial Midwesterner, we certainly hope that she isn't serious about him. He acts so different from everyone that we love & care about here in NY."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 PM

133 posts, read 152,603 times
You have to figure out the best way to handle it. The relationship should only consist of you and Danielle, not Danielle, you, your parents and the people of City-Data, etc. The only people's opinions that should matter re: your relationship is you and her. Period.

I know you want your family to like her. Their approval for her is something you thirst for, and rightly so. When we like or love someone special to us we often want others close to us to feel the same way and respond positively. Your parents see her differently than you see her. You see her as Danielle, a tough, free spirited bad ***** from Brooklyn. Your parents seem to view her as "one of those east coast people" with a dirty mouth.

Consider their background; your parents don't see her appeal because they are from the midwest. Anything or anyone who behaves differently is going to scare them. You have to get them used to the idea.

I dated a southern boy once and my parents were weirded out by him because he kept saying "yes ma'am". My mom found him creepy and banned him from the boathouse. Once they bonded over their love of tennis and wine though, mom fell head over heels and saw the same great things I saw in him.

Do your parents and her have anything in common at all? Something they can agree upon or like together? Sometimes that connection is all it takes to begin warming up to someone.

Here's what I would do: For the time being, you seem serious about this girl. I would start bringing her up to your parents every in a while. Talk about what Danielle is up to and what you both are doing together. Name drop her. Let your parents know that she plays an active role in your life.

For as long as the relationship lasts, they may never truly like her. Or maybe they will fall in love with her. Regardless, if she is an important part of your life, make it clear that they need to be respectful.

As for the cussing, I have to say, the people I admire the most are the ones that are unapologetically who they are. Not people who display condensed down versions of themselves when they feel like they need to play a part. Danielle sounds like a saucy character and I see the appeal.

Also, nothing wrong with getting off on a good fight. My cousin loves bratty girls and he loves to argue with them. It doesn't mean you're dysfunctional- just a bit unconventional maybe.

Last edited by Frustrated Hippy; 06-02-2014 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: typos and spaces galore. My apologies! I'm on my phone and I've had a shot or three.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,276,081 times
Best to just ignore your parents opinion of your girlfriend, you're the one dating her so its your opinion that matters. Its amazing to me how people are so riled up about swearing - everyone swears where I live, highly educated professionals, sweet old grandma, doting mothers, its just a normal part of conversation here.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 PM

103 posts, read 100,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post

I dated a southern boy once

Do your parents and her have anything in common at all? Something they can agree upon or like together? Sometimes that connection is all it takes to begin warming up to someone.
If you don't mind me asking, what part of the south? Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi? Well she's a big basketball fan( naturally Brooklyn Nets fan) and my dad is a basketball fan( Naturally Pacers and Hoosiers).

Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 PM

What bothers me is, they didn't even take a ton of time to know her, because, once you get to know her, she is very sweet, like I said, this is a girl who pulled an all nighter with me teaching me math.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what part of the south? Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi? Well she's a big basketball fan( naturally Brooklyn Nets fan) and my dad is a basketball fan( Naturally Pacers and Hoosiers).
Tennessee.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If she is anything like her parents they are also brash New Yorkers. Her parents may be thinking "Oh no, our daughter is dating this mild mannered, milquetoast, wimpy, provincial Midwesterner, we certainly hope that she isn't serious about him. He acts so different from everyone that we love & care about here in NY."
I know what you're saying is hypothetical, but her parents and I got along great and even if they did think those things about me and voiced them to her, I know she'd be vouching for me and rattling off all my good qualities.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
What bothers me is, they didn't even take a ton of time to know her, because, once you get to know her, she is very sweet, like I said, this is a girl who pulled an all nighter with me teaching me math.
Well, it was just the first meeting. The more you bring her around the more they may come around too. You can't see all sides of someone's personality from only meeting them once.

I'd give it another shot and take her home for another visit when the opportunity arises.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,032,678 times
Quote:
Yes, because I'm the first person is history to do any degree of rebelling against my parents.
Who is paying for your college rebel?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Who is paying for your college rebel?
They are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships