Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 11:16 PM

103 posts, read 100,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post
Well, it was just the first meeting. The more you bring her around the more they may come around too. You can't see all sides of someone's personality from only meeting them once.

I'd give it another shot and take her home for another visit when the opportunity arises.
Think I should aim for a summer visit or too soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,860,499 times
As a mom, this first impression would stick in my mind for a long time. I would need to see some serious change to give any kind of blessing.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 AM

12,979 posts, read 9,696,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
What bothers me is, they didn't even take a ton of time to know her, because, once you get to know her, she is very sweet, like I said, this is a girl who pulled an all nighter with me teaching me math.
If that took all night, and I doubt you guys were doing math all night from the way you feel about her. Then you need to stay focus on your studies, sounds like that have taken a back seat to this relationship and not even your priority right now. Your main purpose of going there was an education first, but now it sounds like the relationship first, spite your parents second, and oh yeah, that education thing last. You act more like a newbie at dating and making up for lost time. Your parents only know what you tell them they are not there. If you don't like what they think of her, then stop bring here name up. When the infatuation have faded and it will, this is most likely someone you wont be married to when all is said and done.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:11 AM

12,979 posts, read 9,696,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post
Well, it was just the first meeting. The more you bring her around the more they may come around too. You can't see all sides of someone's personality from only meeting them once.

I'd give it another shot and take her home for another visit when the opportunity arises.
He shouldn't be worrying about taking anybody home right now, the guy is a freshman and should be on point with his school work. He shouldn't be more focus on getting his parents to like his girlfriend, that shouldn't even be on the radar this early in his college years. I would not be pleased with my son if I'm paying for his education and as a freshman he is heads over heel in love and his priority is not where it should be. I'm sure this is not the norm with all the freshman guys around there at least not to the extreme of the op.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,402,490 times
She's not Indian.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:59 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,219,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Best to just ignore your parents opinion of your girlfriend, you're the one dating her so its your opinion that matters. Its amazing to me how people are so riled up about swearing - everyone swears where I live, highly educated professionals, sweet old grandma, doting mothers, its just a normal part of conversation here.
I have to admit that I don't know a lot of people from Finland.

However, a very close family friend was extremely active in a Finnish-American Social Organization in my home town. Over the last 25 years he had numerous exchange students and groups of travelers visiting from Finland. All of whom my family met and interacted with on frequent occasions.

Natski, perhaps where you live "everyone swears where I live, highly educated professionals, sweet old grandma, doting mothers, its just a normal part of conversation here." but when all of those people from Finland visited or lived in our Midwestern town none of them swore in "normal conversation". Perhaps they realized when & where swearing was acceptable (or tolerated) and when it was inappropriate.

Many posters tried to point out to the OP that even if it was acceptable to swear in NY and maybe on campus it was not acceptable to swear in certain situations, like meeting your BF's parents for the very first time.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,266,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have to admit that I don't know a lot of people from Finland.

However, a very close family friend was extremely active in a Finnish-American Social Organization in my home town. Over the last 25 years he had numerous exchange students and groups of travelers visiting from Finland. All of whom my family met and interacted with on frequent occasions.

Natski, perhaps where you live "everyone swears where I live, highly educated professionals, sweet old grandma, doting mothers, its just a normal part of conversation here." but when all of those people from Finland visited or lived in our Midwestern town none of them swore in "normal conversation". Perhaps they realized when & where swearing was acceptable (or tolerated) and when it was inappropriate.

Many posters tried to point out to the OP that even if it was acceptable to swear in NY and maybe on campus it was not acceptable to swear in certain situations, like meeting your BF's parents for the very first time.
Were they religious people? They're the only ones I know that don't swear regularly. But maybe my town is a bit "rougher" than perhaps other places. But I do agree that its not a good idea to swear when meeting your BF's parents for the first time! I've always warned boyfriends not to swear when meeting my parents.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 AM

678 posts, read 1,067,221 times
Just make it clear to your parents that she's your girlfriend, it's fine for them to not to like her but they should respect you and your choice. It's okay for them not to like her but it's not okay if they are constantly putting her down with the intent of putting pressure on you to dump her for a "Midwestern girl".

Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 AM

103 posts, read 100,864 times
believe me, education is #1 priority, but she is a close #2

Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,442,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
I was asked, is she of different ethnicity I said yes, now, as you pointed out, they meant race, so in that case, no. It was a wrongly worded question.
no i meant ethnicity. ethnic backgrounds don't have to be racial differences. i don't know what your background is, but an italian girl from brooklyn can be starkly different from a midwestern family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships