Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:19 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Physically, I'd generally agree with you. But people are often quick to point out that physical attraction isn't AS important to women as it is to men. In those other, non-physical regards, older men are generally more sought after....maturity, culture, financial stability, etc.
Physical attractiveness was the main thing that attracted me when I was younger.

Nowadays I look at other things - whether a man is well-balanced, is he funny, does he love his family, does he have good relationships with people, is he intelligent, is he intellectually curious, is he kind, does he work.

But back then? OMG it was the looks!!! And where do you find the best looking guys? Young guys, not older ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:20 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
It's because women weren't able to support themselves so they looked for a man who could. Now women work so they go by attraction. Women didn't marry older because they are interested in them.
There's some truth to this, but the "attraction" they go by is a complete package that generally includes a man that is a few years older than themselves. Look at most preferred age ranges, and you'll see women saying they prefer a range between their own age and a guy a few years older. A "few" in this case generally being between 3 and 9)

Old 07-01-2014, 03:20 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
That's true! On TV and Hollywood movies the male actors continue to be hired, and no matter how old they get, they keep being coupled with female actors that are the same age as they ones they were coupled with when the male actors were in their 20s.

Look at Harrison Ford, Richard Gere and Sean Connery and the females they and other old actors are coupled with on film. Really old fart who belong with older women as their movie mates are not being coupled with women their age? Why not? Because males their age watching the movie don't want to see that. They want to imagine that at their ages they are still deserve women 20-something.
Many men see these and think "hey I'm old so I can get younger too". Of course they can't because they are neither handsome nor wealthy like the actors are. Personally I am always repulsed when I see those movie pairings.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Or because if males of any age are going to be looking at a woman for ~2 hours, they'd prefer a 20-something to a woman of Sean Connery's age. If people don't like age discrepancies, they're welcome to vote with their wallets...and they do. If the aforementioned actors and actresses didn't bring in numbers, they'd stop getting work.
Well, there's no doubt that every human on the planet would rather look at someone younger, but unless one is as shallow as a dinner plate, never grew up like Peter Pan, or has an utterly stunted brain, one had better develop wisdom quickly and stop with the bullsh*t philosophy of, I-never-grew-up-and-want-young-young-young.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Many men see these and think "hey I'm old so I can get younger too". Of course they can't because they are neither handsome nor wealthy like the actors are. Personally I am always repulsed when I see those movie pairings.
Yup. Some people believe Hollywood movies are real life, and that they can be like Hollywood actors.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Does this surprise you? Entertainment media is meant to, among other things, sell a certain fantasy for entertainment. For every movie where there's an older male actor together with an unreasonably young, attractive actress....there's another movie where a woman is in an awkward position to choose between two otherworldly attractive men fighting for her love. These things are in demand by both genders.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Well, there's no doubt that every human on the planet would rather look at someone younger, but unless one is as shallow as a dinner plate, never grew up like Peter Pan, or has an utterly stunted brain, one had better develop wisdom quickly and stop with the bullsh*t philosophy of, I-never-grew-up-and-want-young-young-young.
But why do you care? Either they can get younger, and so they do, or they can't, and they end up alone, or their requirement suddenly becomes flexible.

There are men out there that think they deserve younger, super hot women.
There are women out there that think they deserve older, super rich men.

Let them wait all they want, it's no skin off your nose.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
But why do you care? Either they can get younger, and so they do, or they can't, and they end up alone, or their requirement suddenly becomes flexible.

There are men out there that think they deserve younger, super hot women.
There are women out there that think they deserve older, super rich men.

Let them wait all they want, it's no skin off your nose.
Nope, but I can observe the madness and comment on it.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times
Sometimes real life mirrors Hollywood. I've had several younger women chase me and date me. My wife is 8 years younger. I'm not rich or amazingly handsome - I'm just a decent man with his life together, and that's attractive to many women. Not all, of course, nor would I expect it to be, which is why I never pursued much younger women.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:39 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Sometimes real life mirrors Hollywood. I've had several younger women chase me and date me. My wife is 8 years younger. I'm not rich or amazingly handsome - I'm just a decent man with his life together, and that's attractive to many women. Not all, of course, nor would I expect it to be, which is why I never pursued much younger women.
This is so true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships