Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:22 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Well obviously it is easier to get dates in your 30s when you are single than in your 20s when you have a boyfriend...

That's like me saying it is a million times easier selling my crappy cellphone than my hot 60 inch TV....because I put my cellphone on the market and never put my 60 inch TV on the market.

What...the...heck....I am stunned at the logic.
Did you not read the whole post? I didn't have a boyfriend from the time I was 19-25. I didn't even have a single date. I was just as single then as I am now... six years of being young and single but I got nothing. No dates, not even a flirt. It's easier now. Why? I really think it's because I've opened up and become more of a people person. I am not so shy. I also think self esteem had a lot to do with it too. I mean, when you are a 22-year-old women and everyone is telling you "you are at your prime" and "this is when you will be the most popular with men" and NO MAN seems to take an interest in you or asks you out... self esteem takes a nose dive. And low self esteem is like opposite sex repellent.

I've only been single for four years now and I only started dating two years ago (after my divorce I took "time off"). In that time, I've dated about 12-18 men (some just one date and a handful I dated for a few weeks but it never went beyond that. Most I met online). I have had one boyfriend whom I met "offline." Overall, in just two years I am way ahead from my 20s. Hence my observation that dating now is "easier" (at least for me. I am not saying it is for everyone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
What I don't understand is why is there a spike of "never married" at age 45?
How does that make sense?
That's all those divorced people who like to say they are "single"...
and don't like being told that it doesn't apply to divorced (or widowed).

There was a thread on them here recently.
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ed-single.html

Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's all those divorced people who like to say they are "single"...
and don't like being told that it doesn't apply to divorced (or widowed).

There was a thread on them here recently.
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ed-single.html
That's a good point. I was thinking it had something to do with Gen-X (since that's, that demographic). But it could be just people giving the wrong "status" if it was a poll.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,792 times
Most young women, from the time they reach puberty till they get to be about 30 ish are at the prime of their attractiveness to men, they're very busy with dating, and or real relationships. Why would they be here? Most young guys in the same age group are trying to figure out how to hustle these same women, and get an edge over all the competition.
Most women over 30 or 40 have already been mowed over by said jerkwads in their games, and we 're on here to tell you to quit being such jerkwads and you won't have the problems you are having...but, since you are young jerkwads, you won't listen to anyone anyway, so, did that answer your question?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 PM

663 posts, read 778,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Did you not read the whole post? I didn't have a boyfriend from the time I was 19-25. I didn't even have a single date. I was just as single then as I am now... six years of being young and single but I got nothing. No dates, not even a flirt. It's easier now. Why? I really think it's because I've opened up and become more of a people person. I am not so shy. I also think self esteem had a lot to do with it too. I mean, when you are a 22-year-old women and everyone is telling you "you are at your prime" and "this is when you will be the most popular with men" and NO MAN seems to take an interest in you or asks you out... self esteem takes a nose dive. And low self esteem is like opposite sex repellent.

I've only been single for four years now and I only started dating two years ago (after my divorce I took "time off"). In that time, I've dated about 12-18 men (some just one date and a handful I dated for a few weeks but it never went beyond that. Most I met online). I have had one boyfriend whom I met "offline." Overall, in just two years I am way ahead from my 20s. Hence my observation that dating now is "easier" (at least for me. I am not saying it is for everyone).
In your 30s, the majority of men you met are online. Ok.

So in your 20s did you date online? If not, then you cannot claim dating is "easier" because you used an additional venue which was invented that wasn't before.

Techcrium "People generally start to lose their reflexes and driving ability the older they get."

That is like my granddad saying, "hey I am much better at driving and getting to places in my 60s than in my 50s!...."

"because now I use google maps and GPS!"

Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ng-i-have.html

Guy is 27 and "been single too long"

Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,792 times
Techrium, do you spend a long time compiling these examples? I just wonder because I really DON'T go back after I read something and use it for an example elsewhere like some people do - because I can never remember where I read it, I suppose if I were compiling something to make a point...then...I might. Like if I was trying to convince everyone of something?
What would you say you are trying to show us all here?
Are you making fun of young guys having relationship issues? Or are you pointing out the demagraphics of City Data? What is your angle?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:44 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I mean, when you are a 22-year-old women and everyone is telling you
"you are at your prime" and "this is when you will be the most popular with men"
and NO MAN seems to take an interest in you or asks you out...

I've only been single for four years now
In that time, I've dated about 12-18 men
...my observation that dating now is "easier"
This post needs comparison pictures.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
In your 30s, the majority of men you met are online. Ok.

So in your 20s did you date online? If not, then you cannot claim dating is "easier" because you used an additional venue which was invented that wasn't before.

Techcrium "People generally start to lose their reflexes and driving ability the older they get."

That is like my granddad saying, "hey I am much better at driving and getting to places in my 60s than in my 50s!...."

"because now I use google maps and GPS!"
In my early 20s, when I had the problems dating, online dating did exist, I think. But not the way it does now. It was pretty much just taking off when I finally met someone. So no, I didn't try it.

But you know, the fact remains... from 19-25, 6 years, no dates. Now, even taking online out of it... In the last two years, I've dated 3 men I didn't meet through online dating and one of those was a boyfriend for a while. So it's still better even removing the whole online factor.

What's funny, is in your effort to pick apart my example (because that's what I was showing, myself as an example of a woman who had a rough time dating her her 20s) you are proving my point. You find it almost impossible to believe that a woman in her 20s could have any problems dating at all... they are in their prime and wanted by all. And hence, if you don't have dates as a woman in her 20s... it's her fault and something is wrong with "her." She's doing something wrong. A man in the same position... well, it's rough, dating is rough, women can be picky, don't worry about it, etc, etc. It's "not" his fault.

My point was less women will complain about it because society (And they) tend to blame themselves and they will quietly introspect to figure out what "they" are doing wrong. Look at any post here by a young woman who complains about dating being hard for her? It's always filled with "are you fat" "you must be ugly because even an average woman can get a date" "you must be too picky" etc. There is a stigma.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
Techrium, do you spend a long time compiling these examples? I just wonder because I really DON'T go back after I read something and use it for an example elsewhere like some people do - because I can never remember where I read it, I suppose if I were compiling something to make a point...then...I might. Like if I was trying to convince everyone of something?
What would you say you are trying to show us all here?
Are you making fun of young guys having relationship issues? Or are you pointing out the demagraphics of City Data? What is your angle?
1. I just simply clicked on a couple of links and noticed the pattern so I brought it up.

I noticed most threads were young guys under 30.

Then many respondents here at the usual suspect...females over 30/35.

2. As for quoting past posts...I believe in being consistent. I don't care the viewpoint as long as you are consistent.
If you hold inconsistent views, then I will point it out.

For example, a guy goes out and says, "I bought this $70,000 BMW because I am a car fanatic and I don't use it to attract women!"

Then somewhere in another thread, he replies to another guy, "Haha when girls ride in the passenger side, I always manage to score!"

that is inconsistent and I will happily point it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships