Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:31 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopingLady View Post
Muscly men are awesome!
Yes we are

I've done it, but without the flexing, a relaxed pose.
Why did I do it? 1) To possibly enhance my dating prospects 2) to enhance attracting a fit/healthy woman
3) Well if we are to get intimate, she may as well see what shes dealing with

Didn't get any negative feedback. I'd imagine though if someone with a below par body did it they would.
Also a lot of gay guys messaged me, until I changed my profile to "women only apply" in caps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 04:27 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

Meh. We can do better than that, Raena! Remember this great commercial? THIS is more like it (and, yes, I would be one of those women standing at that window every morning. Damn straight):

Lee Garfinkel"s Diet Coke commercial, "Diet Coke Break" - YouTube

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-20-2014 at 04:53 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Yes. If you live in a big city where there are a lot of profiles, a shirtless guy with a chiseled physique will get laid quite easily providing he isn't a total douche on his profile or in person. Even if he is not too educated but writes to women with degrees or MBA's he is still getting laid by them.

I never reached that physique level but having a great build is such a game changer. Women love a fit build but again, only if you are not a total stuck up douche or socially awkward.
Oh, he'll get sex. No doubt. And if sex is all both parties are looking for, then it'll work well for him in getting all kinds of women. Heck, just because a woman is well-educated doesn't mean she doesn't have good eyesight. But will those same women consider him relationship material? That's the question. If he's looking for a relationship, shirtless pics might not glean desirable results.

However, it depends on the type of shirtless pic it is. As with anything else, shirtless pics should be considered in context. If the shirtless pic is one showing him busy in an outdoor activity well-suited to a man being shirtless (like the guy in the commercial above or the guy in the pic Sydney posted), then Yes! I'd consider him potential relationship material. Definitely. But if it's the typical one of a guy flexing his muscles as he takes a picture (s) of himself in the mirror, that's a definite NO.

But even in the first case, there should be no more than a couple of pictures. A gallery of shirtless pics - and I've seen online profiles like that - is overkill, and I won't be interested. Less is more.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I haven't let myself go and I have a sex drive (at least, the last guy thought so). But I never liked the shirtless picture. Like I said, to me it said, "looking for a hookup not a relationship" because the focus is on the physical. It's also pretty easy to tell by looking at a guy if he's in shape or not. You can tell by the face, arms, etc. And hopefully he has a full body shot somewhere in the profile. So you don't need to take your shirt off to prove you are in shape.

I should note, I tend to look for older men (in their 40s mainly) and most of them don't post shirtless pictures. When I did online dating and a man would message me (and have a shirtless picture-usually a selfie of him flexing in a dirty mirror) he tended to be in his 20s or such and usually sent a sexually suggestive message--it was clear he was looking for just sex. So in a way, the combination kind of cemented my idea that shirtless guys aren't serious about dating. Also, when I think "shirtless guy in OLD pic" I think, "guy flexing, taking a selfie in a mirror that looks like it's never seen glass cleaner."
I'm a straight, married guy, but to me, that screams "Jersey Shore wannabe d-bag".

Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Exactly. Women might not notice this, but men - heterosexual men - are impressed by each others' muscles. Big, well-defined muscles are a sign of achievement, dedication, and genetic luck (because different bodies respond differently to exercise). As a guy, I'd assume that because other men are impressed by my bench-pressing or ratio of chest circumference to waist circumference, that women would be as well. Perhaps men are simply not cognizant of women responding to such things with rather less enthusiasm.
Nice physiques attract women too, but its only 1 of the legs of the stool along with money/status and personality/confidence.

Women obsess over their looks/beauty to extent that they do because they know it's basically the only card they have to play and the only one that matters. They know men don't really care about the other stuff.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Do guys actually "flex"? I'm curious what type of real flexing poses one can do and not look utterly stupid. I had a shirtless pic in a mirror but it was just casual, not hitting some stupid pose.

Like I said earlier, if a guy has a great profile other than the one pic I.e. several intriguing and catchy paragraphs, good career, normal, good guy, I think the shirtless pic will rarrrrrely be a deal breaker, if all else excels very well.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:42 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times
Personally, I think shirtless selfies scream: "I'm too shallow to offer anything of substance, so swoon over my naked body".

Old 10-20-2014, 05:16 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Personally, I think shirtless selfies scream: "I'm too shallow to offer anything of substance, so swoon over my naked body".
Or when they have everything else going for them, it just adds to the rest. "Wow he is smart, successful, funny, caring, AND in great shape"

How can you judge every person that does OLD by whether or not they have a shirtless pic?

Like I said before, I have been on dates with easily over 100, 150+ women I met online, in a span of a few years. I slept with an insane amount and could have dated about 90% of those I met..

Obviously a shirtless pic didnt hinder me..

I find it funny that I did about 1000x better than any guy ive seen mention OLD in this section of the forum, and I had a shirtless pic. Not saying it works for all, because I'm in insanely good shape, but for the right person it wont hurt a damn thing, and I felt ir helped far more than it hurt.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:13 PM

957 posts, read 1,059,884 times
I put up a shirtless picture, not flexing or anything and I was at Lake Dillon. I'm not huge or anything but I'm pretty cut at 210.

I got way more messages after that, yet women always write how much they hate when guys have shirtless photos.

Admit it! you like it!

I'm kinda proud of it too, I was a scrawny kid my whole life. I broke my back when I was 22-23 and kept working out when PT was over, haven't quit since. It's amazing how differently people treat you when you're not a rail thin dude. Haha.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:17 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I put up a shirtless picture, not flexing or anything and I was at Lake Dillon. I'm not huge or anything but I'm pretty cut at 210.

I got way more messages after that, yet women always write how much they hate when guys have shirtless photos.

Admit it! you like it!
Its natural for to be a little shy and blushy. That's why they don't admit it on spot .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships