Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:05 AM

619 posts, read 652,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Yes, ONLY depression. I'm in therapy and on meds. The future is looking pretty good for me now because I'm working hard on my depression and myself.

I've never been the most empathetic person on the planet.
It's positive that you're working on yourself...sometimes all the baby steps you take can completely change your outlook later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
http://youtu.be/qZZ7fKC1uNY

Does this resonate?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:37 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
I think she has some growing up to do. Not saying she shouldn't have said the things she said in the letter to the guy, but it should have been said in person, so she can see the man he is now, not in a nasty letter, and then upload it on the internet so the World could see. I think she's still pretty immature for doing that, but anger clouds thought.

The guy was a super douche for bullying her for 3 years. If what he said is true, that he was honestly trying to apologize to her for the hurtful things he said, then yeah he's grown considerably more than she has. It was just a message though, and it's easy to mask who a person really is through letters and messages.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
There were a few guys from freshman/sophomore P.E. who were jerks to me. Once they thought it would be funny to keep throwing volleyballs at me and hit me in the head a bunch of times. One of them tried to chat me up at the local junior college a few years later, obviously oblivious to who I was. I think all I mustered was a "You don't remember me, do you?" and telling him I had a boyfriend.

I did something mean to a boy in junior high, which rankled in my soul for years. Then one day he showed up on my doorstep as the cable guy. I recognized him right away despite our being 20 years older. He didn't remember the incident (or claimed to not remember), but I apologized anyway and was grateful to do so. If the guy in the OP is any kind of a good person, he'll have been glad for the opportunity too.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:32 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That's not "all over her letter." That was her talking to Buzzfeed about it. And she was most likely talking about what she perceived to be his view of her based on how he spoke to her. And again, just because YOU don't find her attractive, that doesn't mean he didn't. A lot of guys would consider her cute.

She had an eating disorder. Trust me when I say people don't get out of those with monumental egos. They fight that voice that says "you're ugly, you're not good enough, fattie," for the rest of their lives. The word "manbeast" probably going to pop into her head one night when she orders dessert five years from now, and if she puts on a couple--and I do mean two--of pounds, she's going to have to cope with that voice getting louder.

You know, for someone who is grappling with mental illness, you could stand to have a little more compassion for someone else who has one, too.
Amen. The guys here judging her and dismissing her based on her physical appearance are no better than that 8th grade bully.

Grow up! This is why you get nowhere with women.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:38 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,221,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Amen. The guys here judging her and dismissing her based on her physical appearance are no better than that 8th grade bully.

Grow up! This is why you get nowhere with women.
This is a very broad statement. Who says we're not getting anywhere with women? I have a third date lined up with someone today.

Some of the people on this forum are funny. If our stories don't fit into your little box of what's right, then we're either losers or making up stories. Some people here have a very strange and close-minded outlook on life.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:49 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Meh... she still isn't anything to write home about.. but that aside, more power to her for taking her control of her life.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:51 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
The only difference in her appearance is that she bleached her hair and wears it straight now, and dresses conventionally. She wasn't that unattractive before; she was just going through a Middle School Bohemian phase.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:02 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
She wrote all over her letter that she thinks she's very attractive when she really isn't. It says something about her personality and character.
It says a lot more about your personality and character that you read something into her letter that wasn't there.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:14 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
I experienced a LOT of situations like this during college. Not so much the "bullying", but the simple reassessment of attitude towards someone because of their image. I don't have much experience from the women's view of things, but the number of times that women switched gears about some me or some other guy simply because we had on a sports uniform, or were on a stage, or whatever...was simply ridiculous. Half of the time, they didn't even recognize that it was the same person.

People are stupid that way. Kudos to the guy for owning up to it, that's better than most would do in his situation (assuming it's genuine, of course)

And while it's an awesome feeling to be in her situation, taking straight to social media with it was really immature. I wouldn't put it on par with several years of bullying, but come on. Be the bigger person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships