Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 06:01 PM

837 posts, read 961,391 times

Advertisements

It would be more worth it to get direct feedback on your profile content instead of shelling out money to get photos. Have you tried posting your profile to get advice from women? "Well written" is kind of a subjective opinion.

Personally, any profiles that have professionals head shots are a turn off (unless the guy is an actor or comedian and needed to take them for work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 06:01 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,221,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
First off, not to sound mean, but do you have what professional photographers can work with to make you into the type you wish to woo women with? From what I hear, most men don't get many responses anyway unless they look like a model. Online dating is very shallow. Most women won't talk to you unless you fit a certain criteria with height and looks . If you look better at a certain angle or need some makeup/photoshop, then maybe... but honestly, I wouldn't bank on it. I don't know if your criteria for women online are too high but it's often true that people's standards when it comes to online dating are abnormally higher than IRL.
This.

OP, there is no point. It's a waste of money, unless you are in the Top 10% of men looks-wise (Hint: if you were, you wouldn't be having problems dating....so this means that you're not). Just meet women IRL.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DierksBentley View Post
I get a lot of compliments in real life

In pics, I look average to maybe slightly above average
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
First off, not to sound mean, but do you have what professional photographers can work with to make you into the type you wish to woo women with? From what I hear, most men don't get many responses anyway unless they look like a model. Online dating is very shallow. Most women won't talk to you unless you fit a certain criteria with height and looks. If you look better at a certain angle or need some makeup/photoshop, then maybe... but honestly, I wouldn't bank on it. I don't know if your criteria for women online are too high but it's often true that people's standards when it comes to online dating are abnormally higher than IRL.
well Im far from a model so that's not true

Old 12-25-2014, 06:21 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
It's your money. Spend it how you like. Figure out how much the pics would set you back and decide if they're worth it. I think they might help you since online dating is all about appearances.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:05 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,644 times
I think pics that show your personality are the best. I like my profile picture here but have shown "normal" pics of myself to people who said they like them better because they can see my personality in them. Maybe someday I'll switch my profile pic to one of those (not online dating so take it for what it's worth).

Old 12-26-2014, 12:22 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,727 times
I dont think 1 or 2 pro photos would HURT
especially if you are a bad photographer or don't have a flickr/instagram feed with 100s of pics to choose from.

but I do have a female friend who does OKC (she's a strange bird, overall) and she's one of those women who says she automatically clicks "next" when she sees a headshot.

My own circumstance was - I had absolutely zero recent photos of me. So I did do the pro photog session. Can't say "its working" but I'm still having fun with OKC, I'm not white-knuckle serious about it.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:39 AM

378 posts, read 441,789 times
Default It is your job

Quote:
I tried online dating once and absolutely despised it. I think one of the big things holding me back is that my pictures look so awful compared to how I look in real life

Is it worth it to have a professional photographer take a couple nice pics of me? I was thinking one good headshot and maybe a full body picture outside in a nice fitted t-shirt and jeans. I would have maybe 2 professional pics and 2 regular ones

I hear so much awful feedback on online dating. I dunno. Are there any men here who have had any real luck finding somebody online? Are sites like match any better than okcupid?
How much do you make?

Old 12-26-2014, 06:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeinca View Post
How much do you make?

Oh, that doesn't matter. I never listed income or mentioned anything that indicates income. No one cared, no one of quality anyway.

Lots of the guys I know have tons of luck. Not as much as real life, but I've known plenty of guys that met their wives online. Most everyone gets a few dates a week and sometimes it turns into something. I met the woman I was engaged to online. Had relationships come out of OLD many times. Made a fair number of my closest friends form OLD that didn't work out romantically. Found two lovers that lasted 5 years+ (5 for one, 8 for the other) online. It's a gold mine to meet people. My most successful years (as a guy) was when I was 32-35 and 38-42, in between there I ran into a bit of "I want to have children and I have to decide if you're the future dad right away" crap, but that was just a blip... still had dates and plenty of sex, but it just didn't lead to relationships.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
I tried online dating once and absolutely despised it. I think one of the big things holding me back is that my pictures look so awful compared to how I look in real life

Is it worth it to have a professional photographer take a couple nice pics of me? I was thinking one good headshot and maybe a full body picture outside in a nice fitted t-shirt and jeans. I would have maybe 2 professional pics and 2 regular ones

I hear so much awful feedback on online dating. I dunno. Are there any men here who have had any real luck finding somebody online? Are sites like match any better than okcupid?
I did it. Most women can tell they're professional pics (not all mine are), but they like them anyway. So yes, I say do it.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:18 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:

It's not worth it to get professional pictures done because online dating is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships