Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:12 AM

951 posts, read 1,141,150 times

Advertisements

I am not photogenic either. The pictures I take with my cell phone camera are the worst for some reason. I'm so unphotogenic that when I'm looking at the screen on my cell phone, it looks good, but as soon as I hit that button to actually take the picture, I look 10x uglier. The camera just hates me. I literally have to take over 100 pictures just to get a decent picture.

I've been debating this as well about online photos for OLD websites. Should I post my best pictures or those pictures that make me look very average? I think I look a lot better in person. If I post my best pictures, then I feel like I may disappoint people in real life since I don't always look like that without dressing myself up and putting more makeup on, but if I put up my average pictures, I might not get as many hits either. I'm thinking about going with the latter so the person who I actually meet in person will hopefully be more surprised than disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 11:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWedge View Post

6 meetings in 4-6 weeks?!?! Pffft. You must be extraordinarily good looking.

Average. On my best days. Bald. Glasses. No car. Don't earn much (for this area).

Those things have nothing to do with it. A decent guy that just wants a date (trying the numbers approach) can have 3-5 a week without trying hard. I'm very selective.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:20 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
I am not photogenic either. The pictures I take with my cell phone camera are the worst for some reason. I'm so unphotogenic that when I'm looking at the screen on my cell phone, it looks good, but as soon as I hit that button to actually take the picture, I look 10x uglier. The camera just hates me. I literally have to take over 100 pictures just to get a decent picture.

I've been debating this as well about online photos for OLD websites. Should I post my best pictures or those pictures that make me look very average? I think I look a lot better in person. If I post my best pictures, then I feel like I may disappoint people in real life since I don't always look like that without dressing myself up and putting more makeup on, but if I put up my average pictures, I might not get as many hits either. I'm thinking about going with the latter so the person who I actually meet in person will hopefully be more surprised than disappointed.
I'm not photogenic, either, but I've learned to work with angles and lighting. The pictures I post are pretty much exactly what I look like, but most of what I take look very different. Part of the problem is the fact that it flips. Camera+ is a good app. It allows you to take a picture you like and flip it back to normal. Sometimes that stupid little flip can make all the difference. Use natural light when possible, too. It helps.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:26 AM

951 posts, read 1,141,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I'm not photogenic, either, but I've learned to work with angles and lighting. The pictures I post are pretty much exactly what I look like, but most of what I take look very different. Part of the problem is the fact that it flips. Camera+ is a good app. It allows you to take a picture you like and flip it back to normal. Sometimes that stupid little flip can make all the difference. Use natural light when possible, too. It helps.
Hmmm, good tips. What I notice is that the pictures I take of myself directly off the mirror look so much better. I don't know if it's because that's how I see myself since it's directly off the mirror. I look like two different people when I look in the mirror and directly off the camera.

Sorry, OP. Don't mean to hijack your thread or want to send this to the Fashion and Beauty section. lol I wouldn't mind seeing professional pictures in OLD, honestly. My old family pictures were taken professionally, but they are not corporate looking or anything. They just have better quality and I do look better in them. Even my sister's camera with a good lens took some really nice photos of me. So, do it if you can afford it.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:26 AM

I never thought to have pictures taken just for OLD. I rarely have my pic taken, but a few times a year a pic from a vacation or an event will be taken with me in it and I just use that. Whatever.

Mirror pics and selfies are across the board a turn off though.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I never thought to have pictures taken just for OLD. I rarely have my pic taken, but a few times a year a pic from a vacation or an event will be taken with me in it and I just use that. Whatever.

Mirror pics and selfies are across the board a turn off though.
I don't see why they'd be a turnoff if they're done well. Pretty much every pic I have of myself is a selfie, and I get complimented on them all the time. Sometimes you just look better if you have control of the camera.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I don't see why they'd be a turnoff if they're done well. Pretty much every pic I have of myself is a selfie, and I get complimented on them all the time. Sometimes you just look better if you have control of the camera.

Because they are contrived and posed. Generally that doesn't make for a good photo, at least in my eyes.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:55 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
I'm sorry but this is just an all new level of pathetic...

Professional photos for OLD sites?

Man go to work, give blood, walk dogs, do something!

Damn.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Because they are contrived and posed. Generally that doesn't make for a good photo, at least in my eyes.
Unless a pic is taken without you knowing it, it's almost always contrived and posed to an extent. Doesn't matter who's holding the camera.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Unless a pic is taken without you knowing it, it's almost always contrived and posed to an extent. Doesn't matter who's holding the camera.

And those are the pics where people look their best. They don't even realize they're being photographed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships