Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:04 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And those are the pics where people look their best. They don't even realize they're being photographed.
If they're lucky enough to have a picture like that. Not everyone is photographed regularly unknowingly by other people, and if they are they may not have a nice clean shot of their face or they may just not look very good. Happens to me all the time. I don't get a decent picture if I don't put effort into it. We're all not the same. And if you're like me, you're almost always the one holding the camera and rarely the one being photographed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 12:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
No one reads profiles, all about the pics
Bull.

I wrote my husband based 100% on his profile. He had one photo up, and you couldn't even really see him (it was mostly a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge with little tiny him standing down in one corner of it - pretty much what you could tell was that he was most likely male and a fan of t-shirts and cargo shorts). I took a leap of faith that he wasn't a troll. It worked out fine.

OP, having staged portraiture up for online dating is really only going to make you come off as trying too hard, IMO.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
And those are the pics where people look their best. They don't even realize they're being photographed.
Eh, candid shots where you don't know you're being photographed are REALLY hit and miss, at least for me. If I know somebody's taking a pic, I can smile, stand up straighter, think to smooth my hair, etc. If I just happen to get caught in somebody's shot, nine times out of ten, I've got my mouth half open talking to someone, am caught mid-blink, standing with awkward posture, and any other number of variables that aren't particular flattering. While I think having headshots done expressly for online dating is a bit much, pics where you are, in fact, aware of the camera, versus complete candids, are fine, IMO.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:13 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Eh, candid shots where you don't know you're being photographed are REALLY hit and miss, at least for me. If I know somebody's taking a pic, I can smile, stand up straighter, think to smooth my hair, etc. If I just happen to get caught in somebody's shot, nine times out of ten, I've got my mouth half open talking to someone, am caught mid-blink, standing with awkward posture, and any other number of variables that aren't particular flattering. While I think having headshots done expressly for online dating is a bit much, pics where you are, in fact, aware of the camera, versus complete candids, are fine, IMO.
I once had one taken where I looked like I was throwing up. Candid shots are not my thing.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:58 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Well you'd only post the ones that are hits, obviously.

Posed pics though have, almost exclusively, posed smiles. And posed smiles are nearly universally fake and unappealing looking.

OLD photos don't need to be "flattering", they just need to look like the real you doing something you naturally and normally do. They help paint a picture of you and what you're about in your life. It's more natural, more honest, and therefore more appealing.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:01 PM

72 posts, read 65,903 times
Quote:
Average. On my best days. Bald. Glasses. No car. Don't earn much (for this area).

Those things have nothing to do with it. A decent guy that just wants a date (trying the numbers approach) can have 3-5 a week without trying hard. I'm very selective.
Welp, don't know what you have going for you, but it's something that I don't...especially if you are pretty selective.

I don't know, I just can't get OLD to work for me. They either don't answer, seem interested then disappear, or flake out on the planned meeting.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times
If you don't look like George Clooney or Brad Pitt, forget it.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:14 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
If you don't look like George Clooney or Brad Pitt, forget it.

LOL, I'm closer to Anthony Edwards, with less hair and glasses. Close enough?

Old 12-26-2014, 01:26 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,151 times
Nope. Professional pictures will make people less likely to write to you as they will feel you look different in person. The opposite will happen!

Old 12-26-2014, 01:33 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Well you'd only post the ones that are hits, obviously.

Posed pics though have, almost exclusively, posed smiles. And posed smiles are nearly universally fake and unappealing looking.

OLD photos don't need to be "flattering", they just need to look like the real you doing something you naturally and normally do. They help paint a picture of you and what you're about in your life. It's more natural, more honest, and therefore more appealing.
Not if the photographer's any good! A good photographer can catch you at the right angle and the right moment, so you don't look posed and your best features are highlighted. They take photos of people smiling and not smiling. Either way, they can get a good shot. That's the point in paying for the service. There's an art to it.

Some people need a photog's help in portraying "the real them". There are people whose candid shots simply don't represent them well. Their friends might say, "huh. This doesn't really look like you", or "You look much better in person". In that case, a professional photo would provide a more accurate likeness than a candid shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships