Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think even plain wedding bands are overpriced for what they are, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Personally, I think even plain wedding bands are overpriced for what they are, as well.
I agree. I'm lucky to know a lot about making jewelry and I was able to have our rings custom made at a really reasonable price. The price was based on the market price of the metal at the time plus labor. It was much cheaper than anything from a regular jeweler.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Nowadays it's more common for couples to pick up some of the expenses, especially now that people are marrying at later ages. My fiancé and I are mid-thirties and we're just doing a small backyard ceremony with a cookout to follow and no gift registry. My parents are retired and there's no way I would ever let them spend their savings on a big wedding. My mom stated she'd like to pay for some flowers, but we're taking care of everything else.
My mom did the same thing. She and my dad purchased my bouquet and my bridesmaids' flowers, and that was their gift. My mother-in-law picked up the tab for a rehearsal dinner. We paid for the rest. It was a simple church wedding with BBQ reception at an old vintage movie theatre, and it was completely affordable for us - we didn't even use all the savings we earmarked for the wedding. I got a thousand-dollar bridal gown and veil for free, our photographer was a military photojournalist who worked with my husband, and did our photography for free, so we really had essentially no big ticket expenses. Getting married is only as expensive as you make it.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,282,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why would a guy not like a woman that says "Nope - I don't want you to spend $10-20k on a ring"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Women want rings and not the wedding because the man pays for the ring and the woman's family typically pays for the wedding. So... they'd rather the man spend a lot of money because they don't want to.

Why not just tell it how it is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If I ever meet a marriage minded woman who doesn't want an engagement ring, I will let you know. Otherwise, I cannot imagine this is all that common.
It's not common at all for a woman to NOT want a man to get her an engagement ring. My wife and I thought having thousands of dollars wrapped around our fingers wouldn't make much sense. Instead we saved that money for a longer honeymoon and home improvement. We did get wedding bands but that was about it.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I agree. I'm lucky to know a lot about making jewelry and I was able to have our rings custom made at a really reasonable price. The price was based on the market price of the metal at the time plus labor. It was much cheaper than anything from a regular jeweler.
Ours were inexpensive, too, as those things go (got them from a military exchange jeweler, so discounted and tax-free, like essentially everything in military exchanges). I still thought they were overpriced for two plain gold bands.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,433 times
I recently read a newspaper article that the average cost of an engagement ring in 2014 was between $2500 and $3500.

The article also mentioned that the pricier the ring, the more likely the couples were to divorce. I can believe how that might be true. It's sort of similar to how tattooing your sweetheart's name on your body is a sure sign that you are about to break up!

Old 01-02-2015, 05:47 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,433 times
In my first marriage, I didn't have an engagement ring. We were young and poor and it wasn't important. I don't wear rings anyway. My current husband not only insisted on a ring, he refused to purchase the ring I picked out at first, because it was "too small". He said that he would be embarrassed to have his wife wear it.

So the ring I have meets his requirement for being "respectable" in size and quality. It's bigger than anything I ever would have chosen without his prodding me to go bigger and better. I've gotten used to it and I love it now. It means something to me, and I would be devastated to lose it. I am glad that I have it.

I paid for both of my weddings and his wedding rings (he keeps losing them, so I've bought him 4 rings at last count). My husband paid for the honeymoon and the engagement ring. Not that it matters, it's all the same at the end of the day.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I recently read a newspaper article that the average cost of an engagement ring in 2014 was between $2500 and $3500.
Yeah, there's no way mine was that expensive.

People can spend whatever works for them on jewelry. I just know that for us, the money was better spent elsewhere. My ring's great, but between choosing to spend more money on the ring, and having that money to spend on traveling to England and Scotland, it was a real no-brainer for us. Others may prioritize differently.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:51 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,904 times
I would lose mine..

Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,621,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
turn on!
Absolutely.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships