Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 12:41 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hm. I prefer partners who are not obsessed with looks. In general. Maybe that's why my preference is somewhere in a broad spectrum of "average." I was with a man who was obsessed with looks and forever on about how ugly he thought he was and how hot and gorgeous he thought I was, and I got damn tired of it. I actually dialed down my looks many a notch just because of him. Mainly he was obsessed with the idea that a better looking man would come along and steal me from him. So the idea that lodged silently into my brain somewhere was that I was a bad person for being pretty, I was a temptation to other men and I had no morals or goodness, I was heartbreak and betrayal waiting to happen. So if I were less good looking, maybe I'd be more deserving of trust or respect? I stopped even wanting to be pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 01:08 PM

641 posts, read 406,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Looks mean little for women. Looks do help and will make it a bit easier (or harder as sometimes a shy man that is good looking won't approach a woman and she won't approach him), but if a good looking guy comes across as timid, boring, overtly stupid (even though I've seen many people get away with this one) or any other trait that makes it look like a man isn't fun: that's when men struggle with women. And personality is far more difficult to change than say, lose weight.
Also, some women perceive attractive men as both more likely to cheat and more likely to leave long-term relationships.
Yeah, if a guy is good looking but can't back it up with some combination of confidence, charisma, humour, exciting, wealthy then it won't make a lot of difference. Guys being more visual will overlook a lot of faults in a woman if she's good looking.

In terms of OLD guys can tend to get dates easier if they look good but they've got to back it up in person with personality. As dating goes more online now, guys are judged more initially on their picture, so attractiveness does make a big difference. On its own though it's not going to get you far as a guy.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:13 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,410,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
It takes a secure woman to date an attractive guy.

My partner is very attractive and gets hit on all the time... free drinks from bar tenders, free pastries at coffee shops. His dentist one told him he reminded her of Bradley Cooper!

Girls have hit on him when I’m standing right next to him.

I can see how it may be hard to date an attractive put together guy if a girl has been cheated on before, or has self esteem or body image issues.
Do you say anything to them when they do this? That's incredibly rude.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:21 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I think the more important question is, how does he react to that? Does he respond to them, and if so, how? Or does he ignore them, and walk away with his date, or with his arm around his gf?

Old 10-29-2018, 01:50 PM

553 posts, read 303,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the more important question is, how does he react to that? Does he respond to them, and if so, how? Or does he ignore them, and walk away with his date, or with his arm around his gf?
If its a compliment, he'll smile and say thank you. I don't think he realizes it most of the time. He couldn't believe me when I told him the dentist was hitting on him by comparing him to Bradley Cooper. He had a follow up appointment with her and I asked him to see if she was wearing a wedding ring and she wasn't.

The few times its happened in front of me its been quick, the girl starts talking and then leaves. I think I have an "are you done?" expression on my face, and they walk away.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
The girlfriend should never say anything when someone hits on her BF. She shouldn't have to.

It's his job to be that "gatekeeper" in this situation.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Recently I was talking to a good looking guy that I met on social media. Of course, I was attracted to him but then he made a public post about how good looking he was. This turned me off. I prefer the ones who are oblivious to it or don't care. He also had a SWARM of female friends and commenters on his social media and he was kind of whiny (i.e. poor me). So I lost interest.
Hmm I wonder if we were talking to the same guy. LOL.

I had a similar experience recently. He kept going on and own about being so good looking and women wanted to use him and blah blah blah.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:57 PM

61,869 posts, read 87,339,575 times
This is your second thread about how good looking you are.
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...esnt-seem.html

I am good looking guy with M3... Perhaps that's your problem?
Try to humble yourself and see if that helps.

Research finds, again, that men tend to overestimate their own attractiveness.
Yup, the male ego is a funny thing....
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ing-they-think

If you meet a guy and you can tell he thinks he breathes wonders and craps miracles, and he knows he's really good looking, most likely he will be bad in bed.

https://www.nantucketchronicle.com/f...are-bad-in-bed

Last edited by elnina; 10-30-2018 at 12:08 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,107,449 times
Yes but because of my lack of attractiveness lol

Old 10-30-2018, 12:13 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,673,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hmm I wonder if we were talking to the same guy. LOL.

I had a similar experience recently. He kept going on and own about being so good looking and women wanted to use him and blah blah blah.
Such a stupid game but I guess it works on some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships