Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:35 AM

3,952 posts, read 2,572,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Every human on this planet watches something on TV.

Why do you think your experience (of the world) is the only experience??

Or when did you talk with every human on this planet and how was TV viewing the major subject??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,155 times
Quote:
Why do some women want a guy to know........."I'm not much of a TV person"
Simple. Those women are communicating that a couch potato is probably not a good match for them. In addition, you can go ahead and assume that she probably doesn't care for guys who are into video games, Netflix, or spending a lot of time on the Internet on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram or forums like City-Data/Reddit/4chan/whatever. The fact that some of those can be interactive doesn't matter. It's the sedentary lifestyle and/or homebody in general that's probably a turnoff to those women. It's just a personal preference for them.

They likely prefer men who like to get out of the house frequently and are active. Such men are probably into things like outdoor exercise and parks and exploration and stuff. They have social passions and are likely a member of one or two clubs. They prefer to get their entertainment from spontaneous real-life human interaction (friends, family, girlfriend, even strangers) somewhere outside the house...and may very well feel that IRL activity is superior to anything on TV. A house to them is little more than a place to sleep, bathe, read a book, do basic computer stuff (pay bills, MS Office stuff, reply to emails, etc.), have intimacy with the GF and have friends over to shoot the breeze. If they have a TV at all, it's seldom on.

That said, there is nothing wrong with watching TV, a movie or playing a video game, as long as it's done in moderation. Some people want to unwind after a hard day's work by watching some silly simple prime-time TV sitcom during dinner.

There are tons of men and women who aren't so-called "TV people" and there are tons that are. Good people, crappy people and everything in-between exist in both camps.

Why do you even care about women who "aren't much of a TV person", OP. They obviously aren't a match for you so it seems easier and more productive of your time to just click next and forget about them.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
Simple. Those women are communicating that a couch potato is probably not a good match for them. In addition, you can go ahead and assume that she probably doesn't care for guys who are into video games, Netflix, or spending a lot of time on the Internet on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram or forums like City-Data/Reddit/4chan/whatever. The fact that some of those can be interactive doesn't matter. It's the sedentary lifestyle and/or homebody in general that's probably a turnoff to those women. It's just a personal preference for them.

They likely prefer men who like to get out of the house frequently and are active. Such men are probably into things like outdoor exercise and parks and exploration and stuff. They have social passions and are likely a member of one or two clubs. They prefer to get their entertainment from spontaneous real-life human interaction (friends, family, girlfriend, even strangers) somewhere outside the house...and may very well feel that IRL activity is superior to anything on TV. A house to them is little more than a place to sleep, bathe, read a book, do basic computer stuff (pay bills, MS Office stuff, reply to emails, etc.), have intimacy with the GF and have friends over to shoot the breeze. If they have a TV at all, it's seldom on.

That said, there is nothing wrong with watching TV, a movie or playing a video game, as long as it's done in moderation. Some people want to unwind after a hard day's work by watching some silly simple prime-time TV sitcom during dinner.

There are tons of men and women who aren't so-called "TV people" and there are tons that are. Good people, crappy people and everything in-between exist in both camps.

Why do you even care about women who "aren't much of a TV person", OP. They obviously aren't a match for you so it seems easier and more productive of your time to just click next and forget about them.
See I kind of love a guy who's a homebody....
If he's good at fixing or building cars, or he's good at cooking, or house projects....
Reading, playing guitar, working out, writing, playing board games, etc.
I'm quite content staying home w/ a homebody--
Just no tv
I'm not so much into guys that are avid outdoors men.....

Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM

51 posts, read 60,700 times
Another non-TV watcher chiming in. As to why I don't watch it, of course, as other people have mentioned, most of the programming just sucks. Even most of the "educational" channels are full of a bunch of pseudo intellectual infotainment nonsense. Not to mention they tend to go over the same handful of topics over and over again. I also object to the way that history often seems to be told almost solely through wars and battles on TV. There needs to be a more anthropological approach that gives you more insight into the lives of ordinary people - the kinds of problems they faced, how they dealt with them, how those problems and solutions relate to issues we face now, etc.

For me, there is an additional reason though: almost everything is in English. I know English. Why do I want to waste my time watching things I already know? Typically I watch things in Japanese, Korean, French, Chinese, and Spanish. Sure, you can watch shows in Spanish on TV in the US, but for the most part it doesn't matter what language it is, most TV shows just plain suck. That's one reason I just watch stuff online. For those very few shows that might actually be worth watching, you can just get them on DVD (still much cheaper than ridiculously over priced cable or satellite tv). Even then you still don't need a TV, since you can watch DVDs on your computer too.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Why do you think your experience (of the world) is the only experience??
Trying to wean him of that delusion is a pointless exercise. That mammoth epistle entitled, "The World According to TVandSportsGuy" has expanded and been retitled in its new updated edition as, "The World According to FBJ".

Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
And maybe they find it a turn off that you're so dependent on TV.

Just as you don't understand people who don't watch much television, and suspect they have "airs" , there are some of us who don't understand people who DO watch a lot of TV.

This is what the social experience has come to in America: leading such isolated, passive, sedentary lives has become so much the norm, that the people who'd rather interact with other people, read, write, cook, work on crafts or hobbies, or engage in more physically active pursuits, are deemed "pretentious snobs."

No wonder the state of relationships is so poor.

You I don't understand anything in this world we live in

Old 01-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think they are just announcing they don't want a couch potato relationship. They don't care if couch potatoes are turned off or not impressed. Just move along and find someone who likes TV as much as you do. We're a couch potato nation so it shouldn't be hard.
So a person who has a favorite tv show is automatically a couch potato? Interesting. Right now it's COLD and RAINY in my city on a Sunday should any turn on the TV?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
How old are you? 13?

Newsflash.... some of us haven't watched TV, or gone to a Movie Theater, OR rented a DVD movie in DECADES!

I absolutely detest Hollywood, and refuse to allow one penny of my money or my attention feed into their self-absorbed delusional world.

Occasionally, I watch documentaries on the internet. I prefer to learn. Which is why I frequent forums... because I prefer to LEARN!

EDIT: And CD is not the only forum I belong to. I also belong to forums that involve, environmental, politics, gardening, homesteading, energy, plus more.

Haven't watched TV in decades??

Old 01-18-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post

Leaving the House frequently? Every day? Every other day?

Old 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
It sounds so weird for someone to say they never watch TV because I know it's a lie and only be said so the guy can be impressed that she is always on the go lol I just send someone a message asking her why she is not much of a TV person and her response was

"I enjoy people in person"

As the young girls say now in 2015.......I'm just done
My ex'es weren't TV people, and neither am I. I got rid of mine. I only watch it on occasion since there is so much junk on television (how many damn reality cliche TV shows can people try to put a "unique" spin on?). WTF.

I do like TedTalks and interesting documentaries. Millionaire Matchmaker? is funny.

Why do you have beef with people who aren't into pop culture or mainstream media? Is there something about non-conformity that bothers you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships