Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
ive said before that if someone does marriage, they should be forced to stay married for 5 or more years

might just make people think a lil more before they do it

the "oh, i'll just get a divorce" atitude will go out the window

couldnt legally get divorced for 5 yrs
Well, some states have or had laws which were sort of aimed at this. States without no-fault divorce basically created a burden of proof that abuse, neglect, infidelity, etc, had to be made for a divorce to be granted. People couldn't just file and get it on a whim. It was not a good system either, as it caused a ton of problems for people in toxic marriages who would have been MUCH better to be out of them, but would have had a far easier road with a no-fault ruling.

People should not be in a "marriage jail" either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,243 times
all things such as divorce or "marriage jail" can be avoided by not getting married to begin with

Old 02-05-2015, 10:03 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times
What if I'm just too lazy to renew my license? LOL, I do support it though. Way too easy to get married but extremely annoying to get divorced.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
"Our 10 year renewal is coming up." ( singing words )

"Yeah?" Him

"Have you thought about it?" Her

"Yeah." Him

"..and?" Her

"It's a surprise."

Old 02-05-2015, 10:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
What if I'm just too lazy to renew my license? LOL, I do support it though. Way too easy to get married but extremely annoying to get divorced.
How would it make it any easier to end the relationship?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I have an idea, I think marriage license should be limited to 10 yrs and requires renewals like passports. This way it gives couples an exit or a renewed vow to stay longer together. Sure, children complicates things but just like a failed marriage.

If things aren't working out after 10 yrs, a couple decides not to renew a marriage license is the same as a divorce anyways. Atleast there is closure and people can move on and not being stuck in their marriage forever.
The whole idea of marriage is to provide a safety net for individuals and society. It keeps people locked and therefore provides stability to society. Nobody would ever vote for a 10 year limit but, personally, I think it's a good idea. Maybe even a 5 year plan.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM

I feel like the people that think it's a good idea don't really understand all that getting married entails. You are joining two lives together. Unless you keep all of your finances separate, keep separate residences, don't have children, etc. - even having a marriage that "expires" is still going to be messy and difficult. And if you are going to keep separate finances, separate residences, and not have children - what's the point of getting married in the first place?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I feel like the people that think it's a good idea don't really understand all that getting married entails. You are joining two lives together. Unless you keep all of your finances separate, keep separate residences, don't have children, etc. - even having a marriage that "expires" is still going to be messy and difficult. And if you are going to keep separate finances, separate residences, and not have children - what's the point of getting married in the first place?
People change and things change. That's just reality.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
People change and things change. That's just reality.
That doesn't have anything to do with this. If you want to end a marriage - you get a divorce. Having a marriage expire in 10 years isn't going to make anything easier - it's just creating a hassle for those that don't want to end their marriage.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:42 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Anytime someone decides to get a divorce, the marriage "expires." So what is the real point of having an arbitrary time limit set? What extra does it really accomplish that does not already happen without it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships