Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,723 times

Advertisements

I struggle with this issue.... part of me wants marriage abolished. What's wrong with 'living together' till death due us part.....

then comes the pro's vs. con's.... married people get all sorts of TAX BENEFITS! and medical/health insurance, and retirement benefits, which include Social Security.... hmmmm...... there certainly is a financial edge to getting married!

Then I thought.... I know... let's remove all these "financial benefits" of marriage, and let's see how many people actually get married?

Then the final cookie crumbled in my thought processes.... Whitney Houston's daughter, Bobbi..... during a MARRIAGE... the SPOUSE makes any and all horrendous decisions, that *might* have to be made about the spouse's final days, such as "pulling the plug".

If we abolish marriage... then I get into a car accident, and am left in pretty bad shape... who's going to be responsible for making necessary decisions about me????

Now I don't know how I believe???????????????????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 05:46 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
No but I am for collaborative divorces AND mandated neutral observer mediation. In all but like 7 states everything is a straight formula. Take out a judges bias and the lawyers for all but ubermensch.

I know a couple that spent 60K arguing over 10K.

>Then I thought.... I know... let's remove all these "financial benefits" of marriage, and let's see how many people actually get married?<

Bwahahahaha hahahaha ROFLMAO. WOW.

Marriage and families are a MASSIVE financial liability. You do it for love. NOT MONEY!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
No but I am for collaborative divorces AND mandated neutral observer mediation. In all but like 7 states everything is a straight formula. Take out a judges bias and the lawyers for all but ubermensch.

I know a couple that spent 60K arguing over 10K.

>Then I thought.... I know... let's remove all these "financial benefits" of marriage, and let's see how many people actually get married?<

Bwahahahaha hahahaha ROFLMAO. WOW.

Marriage and families are a MASSIVE financial liability. You do it for love. NOT MONEY!
And when the gays/lesbians were DENIED marriage... they lost out on all the financial benefits of marriage. THAT was the POINT I was trying to make.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
There is nothing wrong with the system in place.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Are you kidding? That means your marriage license would expire right when you might have a couple of kids, you're not getting any sleep, the house is always messy, and you're paying out the butt for daycare and babysitters. The chances of renewal get pretty a lot slimmer at that point.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I have an idea, I think marriage license should be limited to 10 yrs and requires renewals like passports. This way it gives couples an exit or a renewed vow to stay longer together. Sure, children complicates things but just like a failed marriage.

If things aren't working out after 10 yrs, a couple decides not to renew a marriage license is the same as a divorce anyways. Atleast there is closure and people can move on and not being stuck in their marriage forever.

Their should be some sort of marriage reform but I'll wait for some liberal state like California or NY to make the first move on this. My idea would be a limited time contract of intervals either 3-7-10 year marriage contracts. anything after 10 years the contract can turn into a license. I would also have it if anyone is young and marries, the couple can not quality for a license but only can qualify for a timed marriage contract. If anyone wants to marry under license the couple must pay the extra money for a marriage license which can cost upwards to 5000 dollars. Marriage licenses are only for those who are 30 years old and older, and certain factors will be looked at if a couple can obtain a license such as economic standing of a couple and relationship vitality, especially since the greatest cause of divorce is economics.

I would set up a contract as is. All marriage contracts are affordable. If the marriage under a 3 year contract fails before expiration, a 5k penalty will be imposed on the couple. If a 7 year contract expires before date of expiration a 7k penalty will be imposed on a couple, and last a 10 year contract will come with a 10k penalty. License will cost more, but couples will have more free range and are free from penality system of the marriage contract. After 10 years of marriage under a contract, marriage contract will automatically turn into licenses. Upon expiration of any marriage contract, depending on if the couple does not want to remain together, all Wills, beneficiaries, insurances must be changed or augmented. Like example if Jim works and has family insurance, upon the expieration of the marriage contract, wifes insurance under Jim will switch over to Cobra. Also under the contract system their will be no child support or alimony without the say saw of the ex spouse or an appeal by the court. Also if anyone that has been divorced through the license system can not get married again through the license system and must go through the contract system. IF anyone divorces through the contract system before exipiration fines or penalities must be paid and lawyers must get involved. Also if anyone marries outside the state like in a foreign country, like an American marrying a foreigner those tyse of liscenses would be convereted into a contract. While married citizens of another state or country will retain their liscense status in their new home state.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-09-2015 at 01:46 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Their should be some sort of marriage reform but I'll wait for some liberal state like California or NY to make the first move on this. My idea would be a limited time contract of intervals either 3-7-10 year marriage contracts. anything after 10 years the contract can turn into a license. I would also have it if anyone is young and marries, the couple can not quality for a license but only can qualify for a timed marriage contract. If anyone wants to marry under license the couple must pay the extra money for a marriage license which can cost upwards to 5000 dollars. Marriage licenses are only for those who are 30 years old and older, and certain factors will be looked at if a couple can obtain a license such as economic standing of a couple and relationship vitality, especially since the greatest cause of divorce is economics.

I would set up a contract as is. All marriage contracts are affordable. If the marriage under a 3 year contract fails before expiration, a 5k penalty will be imposed on the couple. If a 7 year contract expires before date of expiration a 7k penalty will be imposed on a couple, and last a 10 year contract will come with a 10k penalty. License will cost more, but couples will have more free range and are free from penality system of the marriage contract. After 10 years of marriage under a contract, marriage contract will automatically turn into licenses. Upon expiration of any marriage contract, depending on if the couple does not want to remain together, all Wills, beneficiaries, insurances must be changed or augmented. Like example if Jim works and has family insurance, upon the expieration of the marriage contract, wifes insurance under Jim will switch over to Cobra. Also under the contract system their will be no child support or alimony without the say saw of the ex spouse or an appeal by the court. Also if anyone that has been divorced through the license system can not get married again through the license system and must go through the contract system. IF anyone divorces through the contract system before exipiration fines or penalities must be paid and lawyers must get involved. Also if anyone marries outside the state like in a foreign country, like an American marrying a foreigner those tyse of liscenses would be convereted into a contract. While married citizens of another state or country will retain their liscense status in their new home state.
If a husband racks up gambling debts and empties the family coffers, or if a wife cheats on her husband with the plumber, you expect them to stay married or pay several thousand dollars to divorce?

Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:

I'm so happy you're not a law maker.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:32 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:

What in the world would you hope to accomplish by this.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If a husband racks up gambling debts and empties the family coffers, or if a wife cheats on her husband with the plumber, you expect them to stay married or pay several thousand dollars to divorce?
If the couple divorces before the end or termination of the marriage contract. Both couples jointly have to pay 7k dollar penalty which can also be taken out of their income tax. Failed to pay both couples will have to spend a week in prison. .if both couples remain married upon the the termination of the marriage contract no penalty shall be imposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I'm so happy you're not a law maker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What in the world would you hope to accomplish by this.
Marriage is like a business. Only those with financial means or mature enough receive marriage license. Those who are not mature enough or not financially sound must fall under the marriage contract system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships