Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
That doesn't have anything to do with this. If you want to end a marriage - you get a divorce. Having a marriage expire in 10 years isn't going to make anything easier - it's just creating a hassle for those that don't want to end their marriage.
I haven't figured out all the details of a 10 year marriage but, as it is now, it's almost like ownership. People aren't possessions or robots. They shouldn't be bound to anybody or else face financial ruin--which is effectively the thing that current marriage laws do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:49 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I haven't figured out all the details of a 10 year marriage but, as it is now, it's almost like ownership. People aren't possessions or robots. They shouldn't be bound to anybody or else face financial ruin--which is effectively the thing that current marriage laws do.
But the financial problems will still exist even if a license expires... you still have to split all the stuff you accumulated together and still work out parenting, etc, etc.

My ex and I mediated everything. We didn't go to court and slog it out. The end result of our friendly and mediated divorce was about $120k of costs and debt for both of us. I seriously considered bankruptcy, but I toughed it out and got through. The truth is, actually filing for divorce is cheap. It's all the other stuff that ends up costing you money and it's all stuff you'd still have to do even if you just had an expired licenses (our big one was having to sell the house... which was upside down closely followed by our combined $40k we spent on legal fees for each of out lawyers and the mediator we hired). You'd still need a mediator (at least) to split assets and debts and set up parenting schedules. You'd still need lawyers to draw up the contract to split things (what is now a divorce decree).

Why get the government involved any more than it is by making it something you license? Do you like government running your personal life or something? And you know they are going to attach fees, taxes, late fees, etc to all that too (becuase they will need the tax dollars to hire people and set up offices of "marriage management" build websites, informational brochures in several languages, and all stuff). Just say no to bigger government and run your own life I say.

You don't HAVE to be bound to anyone else. Don't marry. Marriage is an option and a choice, not a requirement.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
As soon as marrige in its current form is all but abolished or lost most of its importance they will just introduce common law laws to pick up the slack where a certificate of marriage no longer applies.

You will never be free of legal ramifications of you do wrong to another.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:02 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I have an idea, I think marriage license should be limited to 10 yrs and requires renewals like passports. This way it gives couples an exit or a renewed vow to stay longer together. Sure, children complicates things but just like a failed marriage.

If things aren't working out after 10 yrs, a couple decides not to renew a marriage license is the same as a divorce anyways. Atleast there is closure and people can move on and not being stuck in their marriage forever.

I think that view/solution is a very simplistic one. It's unrealistic at best, and fails to acknowledge the myriad of issues surrounding the dissolution of a marriage.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:13 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Divorces are nasty and expensive. Having a set expiration of marriages fulfills this without the nasty fighting. You must come to terms for a marriage license renewal or let it go.

There are men and women who are stuck in their marriages because it's too costly to go through a divorce or they're afraid a divorce will ruin their lives.

So exactly what happens at the end of this 10 years if one spouse doesn't want to renew the license?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:31 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So exactly what happens at the end of this 10 years if one spouse doesn't want to renew the license?
A big court battle over assets, child support, and custody.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:50 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times
Quote:
I have an idea, I think marriage license should be limited to 10 yrs and requires renewals like passports. This way it gives couples an exit or a renewed vow to stay longer together. Sure, children complicates things but just like a failed marriage.

If things aren't working out after 10 yrs, a couple decides not to renew a marriage license is the same as a divorce anyways. Atleast there is closure and people can move on and not being stuck in their marriage forever.

Really? Are you serious?

Let's go and ask the children that question.

What you are suggesting sure diminishes what a marriage is

Using divorces out there that happens to further more your idea is just

Old 02-05-2015, 03:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Marriage is not like ownership nor is divorce a guarantee of financial ruin. Having a marriage license expire after 10 years is no different than a couple choosing to divorce after 10 years. All it does is create more hassle for people that want to stay married and it changes nothing for those who want an out.

Anyone who has been married or is married can see that having a marriage expire every 10 years is completely illogical and unrealistic.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:35 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
I wouldn't support it. People can stay married for as long as they want

Old 02-05-2015, 06:34 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
A big court battle over assets, child support, and custody.
Exactly. Why does anyone think it would be different than divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships