Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 AM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Sounds strange to me. Even if it's legit, it's still about the dumbest way on Earth to conduct this transaction, and they are putting your info at risk.
I know. I'm just wondering how many people go along with it.

The thing that's bugging me is that I'm doing this for an overnight trip for my mom and her friend, and they already know about it and are excited about going. And you can't believe the hassle and the time wasted I've already gone through trying to get a simple reservation. I finally got it booked yesterday and now this.

Anyway, thanks for your response, Bio.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:12 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,780,311 times
Identity theft is scary stuff these days. I've seen people's lives ruined.

My mom's fiance (they've been engaged for like 15 years ) owned a very successful real estate appraisal business for many years. Well some guy got a hold of his info somehow, and started doing fraudulent appraisals downstate, while pretending to be my mom's bf.

Well, all the major banks found out what was going on, and they blacklisted my mom's bf's company from doing any appraisals, and put him right out of business

I recently had to take a picture of my driver's licence and send it via email to re-gain control of the domains to websites that I own, and I was sending it to a major tech company, but that even made me nervous.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Identity theft is scary stuff these days. I've seen people's lives ruined.

My mom's fiance (they've been engaged for like 15 years ) owned a very successful real estate appraisal business for many years. Well some guy got a hold of his info somehow, and started doing fraudulent appraisals downstate, while pretending to be my mom's bf.

Well, all the major banks found out what was going on, and they blacklisted my mom's bf's company from doing any appraisals, and put him right out of business

I recently had to take a picture of my driver's licence and send it via email to re-gain control of the domains to websites that I own, and I was sending it to a major tech company, but that even made me nervous.
lol

Really? Did he ever recover from that? I mean, was it ever straightened out so he could do that work again? smh

Well, I just emailed them back asking if there's a way around it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
lol

Really? Did he ever recover from that? I mean, was it ever straightened out so he could do that work again? smh

Well, I just emailed them back asking if there's a way around it, but I'm not holding my breath.
Nope, he never did another appraisal again. His credibility was ruined.

He never even ended up getting another job because around the same time he developed Scleroderma, and now he's on disability because of it. It's pretty bad, and it will eventually take his life.

He's such a nice guy too. I felt so bad for him.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM

He just answered. He said the credit card companies demand it because of fraud. (Chow had said I should call my credit card company and see what they say.) He said hotels and rental car agencies do it, too. I don't remember ever doing that.

And that I could fax it. They don't share info (yeah, yeah), and they've never had a security breach, but that they do require it.

*sigh

Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Nope, he never did another appraisal again. His credibility was ruined.

He never even ended up getting another job because around the same time he developed Scleroderma, and now he's on disability because of it. It's pretty bad, and it will eventually take his life.

He's such a nice guy too. I felt so bad for him.
Oh... Sorry, Bio. I'm really sorry to hear that.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
He just answered. He said the credit card companies demand it because of fraud. (Chow had said I should call my credit card company and see what they say.) He said hotels and rental car agencies do it, too. I don't remember ever doing that.

And that I could fax it. They don't share info (yeah, yeah), and they've never had a security breach, but that they do require it.

*sigh
Yeah hotels and rental cars do require a card to make a reservation, but they live in 2015 and take that information via a web application over an SSL connection. They usually don't ask you to fax them a picture of the card

Chances are nothing bad will happen, it's just a dumb way of doing business in my opinion.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah hotels and rental cars do require a card to make a reservation, but they live in 2015 and take that information via a web application over an SSL connection. They usually don't ask you to fax them a picture of the card

Chances are nothing bad will happen, it's just a dumb way of doing business in my opinion.
Lol, but not your DL, though... ?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Lol, but not your DL, though... ?
Every time I have made a hotel reservation online I showed ID when I got there.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Every time I have made a hotel reservation online I showed ID when I got there.
Hmm, I guess that's true. Forgot about that. I guess I'm just thinking about all the times you use a credit card over the phone or whatever and your DL never comes into play at any point.

Well, wish me luck, then, I guess... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships