Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 AM

75 posts, read 57,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
Were the red flags always there and you just ignored them or did your partner change? Or did you not really know each other like you thought you did?
I thought I was marrying for life and I built my life around my husband and now kids. I was very young and I changed so much over time. I realize now I married a good person but not the right person or someone I have anything at all in common with. There is nothing holding me here anymore and I am miserable being with someone who sees life so differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 09:36 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,739,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star.crossed View Post
I thought I was marrying for life and I built my life around my husband and now kids. I was very young and I changed so much over time. I realize now I married a good person but not the right person or someone I have anything at all in common with. There is nothing holding me here anymore and I am miserable being with someone who sees life so differently.
If you're trying to get out, for the sake of your kids...it is absolutely crucial that you know whether your spouse who is the kind of man who will behave with integrity in the divorce and not resort to manipulation sabotage of your parenting, and other forms emotional abuse. If he is that type it will be a horror to co-parent with him. You have got to know this FOR SURE going in. I didn't...and my fifteen year old spent the next three years of her life exploring just about every kind of trouble a teenager can get into. When people would ask her father what was he doing to help get her back home, straighten her out again, he would shrug and say, "The children live with their mother." As if to say, if my daughters are not acting out under MY roof, on MY custodial time, then I could give a flying d**mn."

Old 05-02-2015, 11:10 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,029,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF206 View Post
All three. But sometimes the warning signs don't seem as obvious, until you've experienced what the warning signs were about. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I think it was me not knowing myself the way I should have. I knew his shortcomings but thought I could deal with them and provide a good balance to us as a unit. I still feel kinda guilty that I wasn't strong enough to do this.
I think both of these ^^ ring true. Red flags were there, but I didn't have the knowledge base to recognize them as red flags. Likewise, I did know of his shortcomings as a human and partner, but I felt I was strong enough to bridge the gap.

I was so very wrong, and the life experience has changed me drastically. I know what I did wrong in the relationship so that I can improve on the future. My future will be brighter. What I didn't anticipate was the person he would become, influenced by the new personalities in his life, when the end came. I will be paying for that oversight for many years to come.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:13 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Were the red flags always there and you just ignored them or did your partner change? Or did you not really know each other like you thought you did?
All of that. I was very inexperienced, she wasnt, but we both jumped in too soon. Then we had several critical life events soon in the marriage which caused great stress. Tried to overlook them, eventually that caused more stress. Suddenly realized how different we really were, tried to make it work, eventually that didnt work for her and she ended it. At the same time changed her life completely, quit her very secure job and moved across the country. It was a total big mistake from the start now that I look back on it.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:22 PM

253 posts, read 655,867 times
Red flags were all over mine from day 1, or even before we got married. Many things didn't make sense that ALL made sense after he left and I asked the other party directly. All the inconsistencies in his schedule, the deodorant smell that wasn't his, the missing underwear.. yeaaaaaah. I wasn't going insane, it was at least good to know that much. Because it was a marriage, I tried really hard to work things out, but at the end, he left. And it was the best thing he ever did for me, since it felt like I had my brain back again. So yes, if something feels off, SOMETHING is most definitely wrong. Trust your intuition/gut.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:37 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,915,469 times
The red flags will always be there for most of you, see them in the mirror.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:24 PM

22,621 posts, read 19,329,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
it felt like I had my brain back again. So yes, if something feels off, SOMETHING is most definitely wrong. Trust your intuition/gut.
great post, especially the part about having your "brain back again." well said
trust your gut

Old 05-02-2015, 09:37 PM

51 posts, read 74,566 times
Quote:
All of the above. My ex-husband changed on our honeymoon with excessive drinking. It went downhill after that, and he eventually left me when our baby was four months old. I found out later, the reason for his departure was due to his "friendship" with a 13 year old girl.

So, again, all of the above.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,029,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKitty View Post
All of the above. My ex-husband changed on our honeymoon with excessive drinking. It went downhill after that, and he eventually left me when our baby was four months old. I found out later, the reason for his departure was due to his "friendship" with a 13 year old girl.

So, again, all of the above.
Define "excessive"? Everyone has there own definition when it comes to drinking.

For me, I drink on the weekends only, and it's not every weekend. It's maybe one weekend evening a month.

But that's pretty pathetic to start drinking excessively on the honeymoon. That's a special time.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:31 PM

332 posts, read 499,726 times
Both.

I suppose what allowed me to ignore the red flags was the fact that they were tempered (at least for a while) by the good things. We had a similar sense of humour and laughed a lot, could talk to each other easily (strangely!) and had the same view on a lot of things..........but not enough.
The things that bothered me started to eat away at everything and became larger. Areas where he was supposed to "grow up" didn't happen etc etc. It got to the point where I had to put up with it or walk. I chose to walk. I couldn't live like that. I would have had to make all the compromises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships