Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,013 times

Advertisements

I had a guy on a first date take me some place really, really fancy for a first date. Think of a type of restaurant that doesn't actually put prices on the menu and costs 200+ for two people. A place most people wouldn't go to unless it was a 25th anniversary or something!

It was nice, he was a super nice guy that I met on match, but from our conversation that night, I found out he went to the place earlier that week and had a dinner there alone to see if it was still good. Something about that seemed weirder than if he had brought flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 12:33 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Different situations. Most RATIONAL people don't expect sex on the first date. A gesture like a dozen roses on the first date just screams desperate and thirsty to most people.
A dozen roses is a bit much, I agree, especially if it's a first date with a complete stranger from OLD. But a first date with someone you've known for awhile and perhaps flirted with for a period of time leading up to the date, is different.

I enjoyed dating men who weren't afraid to look "thirsty". They were always a lot more fun to date than the guys who thought they were too cool to show any enthusiasm. Dating should be fun, don't you think?

Old 08-01-2015, 03:23 AM

596 posts, read 628,062 times
I remember for prom, I had a friend who cried for weeks because she thought she wasn't gonna have a date. When she found one she was thrilled, only to get to prom and freak out that her date was bringing her food, punch, and standing around her the entire night. Ummm he was your date

She then just got plan rude and started purposefully ditching him various times throughout the night.

People are so mixed up. They want gentlemen behavior in a man but call him creepy when he does it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I had a guy on a first date take me some place really, really fancy for a first date. Think of a type of restaurant that doesn't actually put prices on the menu and costs 200+ for two people. A place most people wouldn't go to unless it was a 25th anniversary or something!

It was nice, he was a super nice guy that I met on match, but from our conversation that night, I found out he went to the place earlier that week and had a dinner there alone to see if it was still good. Something about that seemed weirder than if he had brought flowers.
Aww, he seemed sweet. It's a pity you let that be your deal breaker. You know how many strange and weird things we do as ladies when we just have a crush!???

He just seemed like he wanted to make the evening perfect for you.

Last edited by MMorena; 08-01-2015 at 03:39 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 03:25 AM

596 posts, read 628,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
A dozen roses is a bit much, I agree, especially if it's a first date with a complete stranger from OLD. But a first date with someone you've known for awhile and perhaps flirted with for a period of time leading up to the date, is different.

I enjoyed dating men who weren't afraid to look "thirsty". They were always a lot more fun to date than the guys who thought they were too cool to show any enthusiasm. Dating should be fun, don't you think?
This. I wholeheartedly agree. But I know women who will freak out over a single rose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I've had flowers delivered to our table on a first date too. I was delighted, why wouldn't I be? They were so big that we couldn't see each other across the table so the waitor kept them for me until we left. It never occured to me to be mortified. I just figured that I had a hopeless romantic man on my hands. And I thought to myself "Oh goodie!"
Ahaha this would of been my reaction, especially the ol goodie. Eitherway, I'd be grateful simply because the guy didn't have to buy me anything, especially if he's paying for the date!

Idk, it just seems rude and unecessary to get fussy over it. If you're concerned the guy's a stage five clinger, that'll come out over the course of the evening. A rose or bouquet is hardly an indication that a man is unhinged.

But men, you've got to be careful with these grsnd overtures because not every lady feels the way I do.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,464,776 times
Nay

Old 08-01-2015, 01:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Did you give any?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Okay, just, no. Don't ever give me a stuffed anything. I'm not a child.
every woman i have given them to loves them. and i have given out a lot of them.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:41 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
every woman i have given them to loves them. and i have given out a lot of them.
I love stuff animals .

Old 08-01-2015, 01:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Nope, stuffed animals are SO corny. Dustcatchers!!

I think roses are too much on a first date. In fact, bringing flowers at all to someone you don't know is not a good idea, especially if you are meeting somewhere. It's awkward to have to carry them around all night.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:43 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,165,493 times
By all means no! Women need to be challenged and when you show up with flowers on the first date you are already putting her on a pedestal. What has she done to make her deserve roses other than say yes she'll go out on a date with you. Make her work for your affections. Guaranteed fastest way for her to lose interest in you is to be a puppy dog.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:44 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,830 times
It looks like I was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships