Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,942 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. The chances of randomly meeting another childfree person in a normal social setting seem low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
It isn't low at all. Not in my neck of the woods. Work, socially, out and about, there are lots of mid 30s - mid 40s (my social range) childfree people, both singles and couples.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
In 30+ years of dating, I have only had two partners who wanted kids strongly enough that they now have them.

I like kids, and would have been happy to have them. And I think that's true for several of my ex's. But in my demographic, a person who wants them badly enough to make it happen (and take the hit with career, travel, etc.) is a bit unusual.

I have never chosen a partner based on their future-kid preferences, or asked about this in early dating.

I have, however, been on several dates with guys who were experiencing intense biological clock stuff, and who told me on the first date that they were looking for someone who would be willing to have kids within the first year or two. That was too fast for me, and so I did not accept second dates with those guys. I told them I love kids, but I would want to know a partner better than that before getting pregnant.

And maybe that is significant. Maybe the people with a 'take it slow' attitude towards kids end up together, and mostly end up childfree. And don't reject as partners the rarer people who are intentionally childfree.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:30 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
This varies greatly by location, at least within the U.S. (Not sure about Australia.) In Chicago I meet tons of child-free people in their 30's and 40's. It's less common in suburban areas (where many former urban-dwellers move when they have kids) and even less common than that in rural areas.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
I have a handful of childfree friends. They tend to know childfree people, and so on and so forth. They're everywhere.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:55 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
I rarely meet CFBC people in general in normal situations, so finding a man that way is hard. And I lived in SoCal. Two relationships I had where I met them IRL, one was a friend the other a coworker. The rest I have met online.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:55 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
In 30+ years of dating, I have only had two partners who wanted kids strongly enough that they now have them.

I like kids, and would have been happy to have them. And I think that's true for several of my ex's. But in my demographic, a person who wants them badly enough to make it happen (and take the hit with career, travel, etc.) is a bit unusual.

I have never chosen a partner based on their future-kid preferences, or asked about this in early dating.

I have, however, been on several dates with guys who were experiencing intense biological clock stuff, and who told me on the first date that they were looking for someone who would be willing to have kids within the first year or two. That was too fast for me, and so I did not accept second dates with those guys. I told them I love kids, but I would want to know a partner better than that before getting pregnant.

And maybe that is significant. Maybe the people with a 'take it slow' attitude towards kids end up together, and mostly end up childfree. And don't reject as partners the rarer people who are intentionally childfree.
A lot of this sounds like my experiences. I have dated all kinds of men, including those who had kids and wanted more or didn't want more, men who wanted kids, men who didn't and men who were mixed (as in if it happens okay but if not okay). My experience has been I work the best with men who like kids, don't have them and would be fine being a dad or not either way. I feel this way, after going from never wanting kids to wanting them to being fine either way.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:59 PM

157 posts, read 253,264 times
I joined classes and group -coed softball

Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Indeed it varies greatly by location. I work in a field that attracts socially-conservative people. Nearly all have traditional marriages with 2-3 kids. This the professionals, the middle or upper-middle class. Amongst the so-called "blue collar", most have children seemingly by accident, becoming parents in their teens or early 20s.

The childless, which is to say those who have not yet found a partner with whom to reproduce, or those who for whom reproduction would be difficult for medical reasons, are encountered from time to time. Most of them met by the usual means (through introductions or group membership).

The genuinely child-free, which is to say those who harbor firm convictions opposed to reproduction, are very rare. Essentially the only venue for such persons to meet is online. There are child-free meetup.com groups, but my experience has been that these aren’t suitable venues for dating.

Bottom line: online dating.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:03 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,987 times
I met my husband on an online dating site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships