Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
How is 80% not a vast majority?

I would say the percentage of the population that does want kids is around 90-95%.

There are the people who don't want kids, but end up having them anyway because of birth control failures/abortion bans/pressure from spouse, family and friends/they didn't know that not having kids at all was a real option.
Adding to this, over the years I have met both men and women who have breathed a sigh of relief when I mentioned in the course of conversation that I didn't have kids because I never wanted them. It's always nice to meet others who think along the same lines as you especially when you are in the minority.

The older I was, the more often the subject came up. Men who felt the same way would especially breathe a sigh a relief and I instantly became more attractive to them. That certainly got me some dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:11 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,692,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne75 View Post
Time Magazine: Having It All Without Having Children

Research report showed that childlessness has risen across all racial and ethnic groups, adding up to about 1 in 5 American women who end their childbearing years maternity-free, compared with 1 in 10 in the 1970s.
America doesn't represent the world.

That tells me nothing about childfree men anyway. Where are the statistics for CF men?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,073,450 times
Quote:
That's not what I said. I said that I think the chances of randomly meeting other childfree people (let alone a childfree man who is also single, straight, non-religious, non-smoker and compatible with me) in normal social settings seems low. The vast, vast majority of people want kids; that's a fact, not just my opinion. The odds are against it. You were lucky to meet your childfree husband in highschool.
The bolded part is my biggest hurdle. I rarely meet men off the street who don't want kids. Usually, they're the types that "can go either way". I wouldn't ever get involved with a man that says that, mostly because he doesn't know himself well enough and could one day, want kids. Very few people I meet at all, are completely 100% against having kids. I have met 1 IRL, one. And this includes people at work, people who know people, etc.

For those that find them IRL, without going to CFBC type meetups or groups, how in the world do you find them? Where are they at? And please don't say, "do things that they would do", because CFBC has nothing to do with hobbies.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
That's not what I said. I said that I think the chances of randomly meeting other childfree people (let alone a childfree man who is also single, straight, non-religious, non-smoker and compatible with me) in normal social settings seems low. The vast, vast majority of people want kids; that's a fact, not just my opinion. The odds are against it. You were lucky to meet your childfree husband in highschool.
Maybe you need to move to the US? Especially in the Northeast... plenty of single men like you described. Otherwise, you've just described my boyfriend.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,940,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post

Also, with the OP saying, "the chances of two people not wanting kids is remote," is totally ridiculous. Most of my adults friends (in their 30's-40's) don't have children and have zero interest in wanting them.
Yes, same here. My social circle is in the same age range, and nearly all are childfree and wish to remain so. And most of their friends are childfree as well, and I know that least one of the cf couples met through one of our mutual cf friends.

OP, you need to get into a cf group of friends. Chances are their friends as well wish to remain cf. You may expand your odds that way.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:03 PM

You just have to cast a wide net. I found over the years that no matter what interest, hobby, group etc there was always one or two people who were dedicated CF people. One of the best CF friends I ever had who sadly passed away a few years ago from Cancer was a woman I met in an acting class. She had and I found a CF group of people we didn't know existed in our city consisting of men and women. We weren't looking for one but she happened to stumble upon it on the Internet.

In that same acting class I met a man who was about ten years older than I who had almost grown children from a prior marriage. He was looking for a relationship that definitely did not include more kids. We were a couple for a couple of years. That's another option I found. As I got older, I found it easier to meet men who were not interested in creating a family because they already had one. The older their kids, the better for me because they weren't looking for another mother for them. I always made it clear that if they were divorced and there was a mom in the picture I was not interested in being mom number two. They accepted that with no problem. I also wasn't looking to remarry after my divorce to that was also understood.

I am talking back in the 70's throughout the 90's. I think as time goes by it actually gets easier because people are now more comfortable about talking about wanting to be child free. I wouldn't discount social events. Everything is a potential possibility. You just have to put yourself out there.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM

249 posts, read 473,850 times
I met my BF at work and we are both child free but we have an African Grey Parrot that is like a child We don't want children either

Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 PM

To expand upon my previous post a bit as an example:

I met one CF woman who told me she was surprised to meet another CF person, male or female because it seemed everyone she ran into around her age had kids or wanted them. I asked her where she hung out and who with. It turned out her interests ran along the lines of those that pretty much matched mothers. Most of the women she worked with were moms, when she befriended them, their friends were also moms. She liked sewing and the people in her sewing classes were mostly moms too. Likewise crafts and cooking.

I told her she didn't have to give those things up but she should try more things like outdoor sports or hobbies such as photography and things not of a domestic nature. These appeal to both men and women and seem to attract CF people. At least that had been my experience. As one who liked to hike, she joined a hiking club. Voila. She did meet a couple of CF men. She also met a couple of women friends in a karate class who were CF. Through those friends and me she met more CF people both men and women. She really hit the jackpot when we both signed up for classes at out local cable station to learn how TV works and actually do broadcasts on the local TV stations.

I used to help run out local science fiction convention. I met a really nice CF guy there whom I dated for quite a while. Lots of different kinds attend these things. Several of my friends and I always participated in the costume contests which included our trio complete with female Elvis impersonator who did The King's songs as a popular British SciFi character with his backup crew.

As I said before, you gotta put yourself out there and go everywhere. Use your imagination. That's the way to meet people. There is a whole banquet of things to do and choices to make. If you have already decided to be child free, you have already decided to march to the beat a slightly different drummer than most. You just have to set your sights a little further beyond that in creating a different lifestyle.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,162,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, rural anywhere stinks for dating. I had lots of success in Madison too, but that was in my 20s, it would be harder now.

I too, when I did OLD, received similar messages on my profile (I'm quite blunt about not being a foodie, not drinking wine, not interested in hosting dinner parties, and not being "laid back" which are two things that the vast majority of people want in a partner it seems.)
Everyone in OLD is a foodie now. It's getting obnoxious. "I enjoy small batch craft beer and overpriced organic food, I must be a foodie."

Old 12-24-2013, 06:16 PM

432 posts, read 492,123 times
Quote:
That's not true. Almost of the men I have dated were met online.

I had to filter through a lot of creeps though. Most of the messages I got were:
I've had three dates in five plus years off online dating. How is that even remotely a good method?

Quote:
And this is why online dating as a guy isn't very hard. All you have to do to stand out from the competition is construct complete sentences and come across as semi-intelligent and non-creepy.
I do all of that: I'm educated. I have a good career. I'm articulate. I stand out from the crowd.

I'm not sure what non-creepy REALLY means... but I don't get sexual before meeting and getting to know someone if that's what you're getting at.

Why do 99.9% of my messages get ignored, and no one ever messages me then?

Last edited by variant; 12-24-2013 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships