Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 05:03 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times

Advertisements

Considering about half of all marriages end in divorce; is it any surprise that a lot of people are cynical as hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 05:48 AM

361 posts, read 333,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Considering about half of all marriages end in divorce; is it any surprise that a lot of people are cynical as hell?
No ****! If somebody offered an investment opportunity where 50% of the time, you lose all your money, would you do it? I look at marriage rationally and it does not make much sense anymore if you are a man.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:14 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Meh....Love is for idiots.
Yet, Sex is for idiots, too ..and all others. Apparently, this is really what people are driven by, not love (attachment, connection, a lengthy involvement). It used to be said that terrific physical compatibility would emerge due to what two felt for each other, on an emotional level. Though surely some may experience this, you wouldn't know it by what goes on. Everyone (seemingly) has sex before they know anything about a person. I've seen men say in topics here that "If she won't have sex on the first date, it's over", claiming they "need to know that they are sexually compatible". (So, he is not interested in or willing to get to know the woman to gauge if she is worth engaging, physically).

I think that "first time sex" might be exciting because it is new, but it is not necessarily representative of what might develop down the road. (Either partner may not really be themselves, initially). Then, there are the guys who will stop seeing a woman because she does have sex early. Though it has been instructed "to wait", there are pressures and yes, needs of both. But as we see, even if a female acts upon her own needs, she may be judged as "incompatible" or "slutty" ..(and another one bites the dust).

I have had to laugh that it will be depicted in movies and TV that two will have sex almost immediately. Of course, they may make it appear a lot transpires between the two prior and "under the guise of love", with the male uncharacteristically "falling for and stating his love" for the female. (I realize this is part of movie-making, but they should quit trying to entice the audience, especially impressionable females who might feel this sets the stage for reality). No wonder females continue to struggle with meeting and getting to know men.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:47 AM

113 posts, read 77,382 times
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Just goes to the point I made that some people are not looking for a Love Relationship. They are looking for a perfect "Buddy" with benefits.

What happens down the road when something happens, and there is a medical issue with your woman, or an accident, that leaves her needing some care? What do you do, dump her, because now she has "Baggage?

Also, there are a lot of women out there that have kids, and found that what they thought was Love was not, or the Hubby left them for a younger woman, with no baggage. So you eliminate that whole list, because you "don't like" kids.? Even more so, why would any woman want a guy who "don't like kids."

Then they have the audacity to complain about "Not finding true love." Maybe its me, but I just don't get it.

Maybe we should change all marriage vows to "Do you take this woman to be your wife...etc...till death do you part unless she becomes ill, runs into some misfortune, becomes a burden to you, or you have to make a sacrifice because of her?"
I can agree with you on this. Perhaps a "buddy" is all that is really wanted, and can be changed for a newer model when the mileage gets high? That makes sense I suppose if a relationship begins and ends with sex (which is WAY over rated), and there is no danger of actually becoming a committed life partner, eh? Accept no "Baggage".
Some people have taken a different relationship trajectory, promises were exchanged and commitments were made, but that's just me. An "old school" idea that you stay with a spouse in sickness and in health, forsaking all others for only her, for richer or poorer, till DEATH do you part. And that means helping her with her baggage just like she has to deal with yours.
Here's an idea, your woman is a flawed human being and deserves to be treated gently with compassion. She will screw up, might try forgiveness. ok, I'm done.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I have visited dating sites and had opportunities out and about , but women are about so much drama, I really don't want to get into any more .
I have female friends ,but there is very little intelligent conversation with them now days.
May be it the phase of the moon . I hope,

Old 09-27-2015, 07:44 AM

1,273 posts, read 991,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkypeColorado View Post
sex (which is way overrated ).
What???? Speak for yourself!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:45 AM

1,273 posts, read 991,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have visited dating sites and had opportunities out and about , but women are about so much drama, I really don't want to get into any more .
I have female friends ,but there is very little intelligent conversation with them now days.
May be it the phase of the moon . I hope,
So basically you want a man with boobs?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I know lots of these people who are not married (yet). I guess it depends where you live!
If they wanted to be, I bet it wouldn't be hard.

Maybe it's not where we live but age?

I am mostly speaking of people 30+, with a few exceptions of remarkable young folks.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
This is a misleading overall type statistic.

Look at your cohort for a better stat.

For example, second marriage with kids involved from previous marriage has around 70% divorce rate.

The divorce rates have gone up for uneducated people, while they remain consistent for people with college degree or better at 20%.

The later you marry, the lower the rate.

I mean, this stat does not apply across the board.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:39 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
I have literally never read a thread full of such shallow, cynical people.

Receding hair lines, only attractive people have luck in love, just be hot and rich and you'll find love, woman age badly, no one meets my standards, I only want someone like me, etc.
Maybe it's thinking like this that keeps y'all miserable and single.
OH, from what I've seen, there's a lot of that in these topics.

Also, those comments / ideas seem indicative of a certain type:

* The youngish guy who only seeks what he considers "hot" girls and thinks this is what life is about (not unlike the rich college kid in Santa Barbara, CA - who was so affected by this, that he shot a bunch of people at his school, because he had been turned down by this type of girl). Some seem invariably wrapped up in image and unrealistic expectations.

* The little bit older, not so attractive guy, who also covets this type of female who he has been rejected by and when referring to, are unpleasant, unappreciative, overly concerned with wealth .. clearly describing these superficial females, that he does not stop gravitating to, despite disappointment. They will also generalize that (these) women will prefer a guy unlike themselves, but keep referring to these females "as the only women that exist".

* The older man who has been there repeatedly, having sought women he wanted to show off, who he spent time and money on, ultimately finding out how unfulfilling it all was, no longer wanting involvement and is left with the wrong impression of what women and love is about, due to limiting himself to this type of woman.

I don't know entirely why this is and certainly does not reflect all men, but if these influences do not change (and depending upon the psyche of the male), issues will persist, affecting the ability for positive female - male relationships to develop. I think that males have been conditioned from an early age to seek out female perfection due to imagery and depending upon one's environment, experiences and growth, some will integrate more reality, rather than fantasy, into their lives over others, having more success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships