Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 06:49 PM

474 posts, read 384,769 times

Advertisements

S___... it's like echoes of the dead age on here. No wonder I can't find any good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
I've mostly given up on finding love. Like 95%. The things in my life that I do love, that I've always loved, I have a hard time imagining that someone could come along and mean as much to me as these other things have.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
I have heard people say that when someone is single, they should reduce their expectations and settle for less, so to speak. Somehow that doesn't work. Even people who are not overly attractive and popular themselves won't settle for someone unattractive to them just in order to be in a relationship.

Anyway, it is a bit sad to think that there are so many lonely people out there, and the only reason for that is probably that they just don't meet the right people. I believe there are lots of right people out there for each and every person. In the past people knew even fewer people than today, but I assume they often married someone they had known for a long time, maybe childhood, and it was more based on familiarity than on our modern idea of love.

And many modern city people always want to be so cool and hard to get, instead of simply embracing people and letting them know they are also available.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:56 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
S___... it's like echoes of the dead age on here. No wonder I can't find any good advice.
What kind of advice are you looking for?

There are good examples of people having successful relationships I'm sure but on this forum the population generally is people looking (and probably frustrated people in the process) for a good relationship.

Not saying you can't get good advice here however.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:58 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have heard people say that when someone is single, they should reduce their expectations and settle for less, so to speak. Somehow that doesn't work. Even people who are not overly attractive and popular themselves won't settle for someone unattractive to them just in order to be in a relationship.

Anyway, it is a bit sad to think that there are so many lonely people out there, and the only reason for that is probably that they just don't meet the right people. I believe there are lots of right people out there for each and every person. In the past people knew even fewer people than today, but I assume they often married someone they had known for a long time, maybe childhood, and it was more based on familiarity than on our modern idea of love.
It's crazy I used to believe that there was a person for each and every person, but what suks is when you start coming to the conclusion that is not the case. Maybe for some, but not all.

There are plenty of people that will be alone til the day the die. Why? God only knows.

It'd be nice to get that idealistic mindset back.. hope of finding the person made for you.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,644,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
Hahahahshaaa lmao!

Its like that sometimes. Echoes of the dead age, hahaha rollin'

Old 09-25-2015, 07:06 PM

290 posts, read 214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

And many modern city people always want to be so cool and hard to get, instead of simply embracing people and letting them know they are also available.
A big problem to me is just the crazy amounts of competition nowadays. From smartphones with dating apps, online dating websites, social media sites, the Internet in general, etc.

It's no surprise to me that I always hear that dating was MUCH easier and simpler back in the old days.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
It's crazy I used to believe that there was a person for each and every person, but what suks is when you start coming to the conclusion that is not the case. Maybe for some, but not all.

There are plenty of people that will be alone til the day the die. Why? God only knows.
Maybe it is like in nature where with many species those individuals for some reason considered unattractive stay single and never have offspring. Maybe there is also that kind of natural selection going on where nature tries to eradicate ugly, stupid, shy, and other unattractive individuals from the gene pool.

What I dislike today is that everyone seems to be in a hurry so that one always feels like one is stealing someone's time. So conversations remain shallow and short. Then there is careers, which make people move around a lot, often destroying relationships before they really started.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kCity33 View Post
A big problem to me is just the crazy amounts of competition nowadays. From smartphones with dating apps, online dating websites, social media sites, the Internet in general, etc.

It's no surprise to me that I always hear that dating was MUCH easier and simpler back in the old days.
And earlier. Now we feel like we live forever, so we postpone everything. And by the time people start to realize their job is not what life is about and that they need to get serious, they are often 30 or 40 and all of a sudden in a hurry as their appeal is already fading away.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 PM

474 posts, read 384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
What kind of advice are you looking for?

There are good examples of people having successful relationships I'm sure but on this forum the population generally is people looking (and probably frustrated people in the process) for a good relationship.

Not saying you can't get good advice here however.
It's just the world where God, family values, the forefathers, buying American, and other perspectives that only perpetuate with 55 year olds in the state of Kansas just don't apply to many people of my generation and after. While a number of sound relationship platforming concepts can be found in old world thought, it's not where it's derived for most modern, urban denizens. You might have the right ideas, but the background information is not the selling point in the context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships