Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 04:43 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
After she gets to know him, she might. You never know.
But if you had to bet the house on it, highly unlikely a very attractive woman is going to even give a below average attractive guy a chance. Hell, if I were to go up to Sanaa Lathan, no one on C-D in their right mind would give me a chance hell of dating her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Ironically I was bored yesterday and watched Hitch for the first time in a decade. Which if you all recall, is about regular joes creating opportunities with the women of their dreams.

A zillion people have said it, not all women have the same definition of attractive. For some people an "average" guy is the hottest guy ever.

All guys have a chance if they make a women feel awesome, and that was really the premise of the main character's relationship with the heiress. She was waiting around for someone who showed that they believed in her and thought she was capable. Then she was smitten.

There is big element of truth in that movie actually.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
True, but at the same time how often would they give the average guy a chance when her options are endless for attractive guys which she's likely going to date the most. Some would give someone a chance that's not their type, but how often do those last?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
But if you had to bet the house on it, highly unlikely a very attractive woman is going to even give a below average attractive guy a chance. Hell, if I were to go up to Sanaa Lathan, no one on C-D in their right mind would give me a chance hell of dating her.
Sometimes people just fall for people. It doesn't have anything to do with giving someone a chance. To me, that's cold approach talk. Sometimes you meet someone, get to know them, and then realize that you have become attracted to them. You don't have to give them a chance in order for this to happen.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:06 PM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Ironically I was bored yesterday and watched Hitch for the first time in a decade. Which if you all recall, is about regular joes creating opportunities with the women of their dreams.

A zillion people have said it, not all women have the same definition of attractive. For some people an "average" guy is the hottest guy ever.

All guys have a chance if they make a women feel awesome, and that was really the premise of the main character's relationship with the heiress. She was waiting around for someone who showed that they believed in her and thought she was capable. Then she was smitten.

There is big element of truth in that movie actually.
You've got books by people like Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people." It's all about learning and understanding human interactions and behaviors and also not being so trapped in your head about what you're going to say next to someone.

It's about listening, being there at that moment, paying attention to people, remembering the things that they like or have an interest in.

They used to simply call it charm, or charisma, or maybe even being a gentlemen.

These ideas actually are universal, and shouldn't necessarily be gender specific.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You've got books by people like Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people." It's all about learning and understanding human interactions and behaviors and also not being so trapped in your head about what you're going to say next to someone.

It's about listening, being there at that moment, paying attention to people, remembering the things that they like or have an interest in.

They used to simply call it charm, or charisma, or maybe even being a gentlemen.

These ideas actually are universal, and shouldn't necessarily be gender specific.
Yup, charisma is a magical thing! I worked in sales many many moons ago. I wasn't awesome. But my boss told me that I should use the skill I had...it wasn't persuasion, it was likability.

This is my advantage in the dating too. I don't do well online, but in person, after a couple minutes most people love me. Unless they are a weirdo. But that is not my problem. So I put myself in places where I can chat with people.

We all have advantages, you just have to find them and use them.

I think you are already putting yourself out of the game if you walk around thinking "I am ugly, no one wants me, woe is me."

What is awesome about you? Obviously this "unattractive man" found a way to standout for this "attractive woman." And everyone has that power if they cultivate it.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:03 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Unless it's in a bigger city it's almost always because the guy is supporting the woman and makes more than her. Bigger cities and suburban areas have more professional women that can support themselves so they can afford to worry more about looks and personality.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:30 PM

405 posts, read 325,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Unless it's in a bigger city it's almost always because the guy is supporting the woman and makes more than her. Bigger cities and suburban areas have more professional women that can support themselves so they can afford to worry more about looks and personality.
Good point. I forgot to mention or don't remember if I did, but I'm sure the area you live in definitely can factor into these things a lot. I live in one of the most expensive states in the U.S. so I'm pretty sure women are definitely factoring in money in a partner where I am.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
True, but at the same time how often would they give the average guy a chance when her options are endless for attractive guys which she's likely going to date the most. Some would give someone a chance that's not their type, but how often do those last?
In my experience, she gives the average guy a chance because she already has experience with him. She knows him, from work, from church, from school. And he's made her smile, he's always nice to her, he's shown that he's worth taking a chance on. He is her type. Generally, women aren't as visual as men. Women like looking at physically attractive men, but they don't necessarily connect with a man just because he's attractive. And women who are pursuing a relationship, not just a one-night stand, are looking for a connection. Different women want different kinds of connections. Some women are looking for a sense of security, they want to feel safe in his arms, they get turned on when he asks for her keys to the car because he noticed one of her tires is low on air and he's going to fix that. Some women are looking for a connection based on common interests. Will he introduce her to new adventures? Can she introduce him to new experiences? Their common interests will lead to shared experiences that will bond them together. Women aren't all the same, they each offer something unique. And when you connect with people because you share something with them, then they become more and more attractive to you, regardless of if they are a little pudgy, or they are short, or their smile is crooked. These things actually become part of why you love someone.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 AM

11,796 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In my experience, she gives the average guy a chance because she already has experience with him. She knows him, from work, from church, from school. And he's made her smile, he's always nice to her, he's shown that he's worth taking a chance on. He is her type. Generally, women aren't as visual as men. Women like looking at physically attractive men, but they don't necessarily connect with a man just because he's attractive. And women who are pursuing a relationship, not just a one-night stand, are looking for a connection. Different women want different kinds of connections. Some women are looking for a sense of security, they want to feel safe in his arms, they get turned on when he asks for her keys to the car because he noticed one of her tires is low on air and he's going to fix that. Some women are looking for a connection based on common interests. Will he introduce her to new adventures? Can she introduce him to new experiences? Their common interests will lead to shared experiences that will bond them together. Women aren't all the same, they each offer something unique. And when you connect with people because you share something with them, then they become more and more attractive to you, regardless of if they are a little pudgy, or they are short, or their smile is crooked. These things actually become part of why you love someone.
This post is so awesome and so accurate!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well said, DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships