Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 01:44 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's exactly what I am talking about.

Maybe I expressed myself poorly.

Of course illness, little kids, stressful job, etc. etc. are a different story.
I have only experienced this when the other person themselves has had their minds preoccupied elsewhere.
Their headspace is nowhere near being sexual or sexual in nature on their own, they are full on with some other thoughts or events in their own minds.

It's important to take where they are when trying to "get" something you and only you want in those moments. It should change your approach and you shouldn't come out a angry for them not wanting to suddenly swing from left to right.

Now, if it's the same song and dance EVERYTIME you try it, that's another issue.
That IS them not taking your needs in to consideration to only focus on their own selves, ideas, desires and thoughts.

You may still get lucky, but it's only ever goin to be on their terms when they feel the personal need for it.

Last edited by rego00123; 10-15-2015 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I have only experienced this when the other person themselves has had their minds preoccupied elsewhere.
Their headspace is nowhere near being sexual or sexual in nature on their own, they are full on with some other thoughts or events in their own minds.

It's important to take where they when trying to "get" something you and only you want in those moments. It should change your approach and you shouldn't come out a angry for them not wanting to suddenly swing from left to right.

Now, if it's the same song and dance EVERYTIME you try it, that's another issue.
That IS them not taking your needs in to consideration to only focus on their own selves, ideas, desires and thoughts.

You may still get lucky, but it's only ever goin to be on their terms when they feel the personal need for it.
Aren't we all? You HAVE to make time for love. 10-30 min an hour per week really is too much to do?

Old 10-15-2015, 01:59 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Quote:
Aren't we all? You HAVE to make time for love. 10-30 min an hour per week really is too much to do?

You cannot speed up some trains of thought or acceptance. Things like being angry at one another keeping you from wanting intimacy. You have to logically work through this at the pace your mind allows you.

That's not in your direct control, you only control the ability to want to work through it, not how quickly it happens.

The rest of it is where the second part of my post comes in.

You can say your intentions are not selfish or self served, but if your actions are always to only serve what "you" want in every moment and shut out the possibility of anything you haven't planned for happening in your thoughts.

That speaks for itself.

You may not want to consider your actions selfish, but they are. You are only taking actions based on self in a situation based on the involvement of two (or more)

Romantic relationships require opening yourself up for their to be intimacy. If you are always shutting yourself and others down or only acting on your needs, you are purposefully chocking the intimacy out of your relationship.

It may not be affecting you in any peronsal way, but it's affecting the other.
It's undermining the others involvement and the purpose for being in a romantic relationship.

Last edited by rego00123; 10-15-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 02:07 PM

714 posts, read 748,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Just curious, have you ever had sex with someone who wasn't really into it but was just being dutiful?

I have never had sex that wasn't like this. It's not very fun.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:08 PM

714 posts, read 748,174 times
Quote:

If you don't want to do it, then yes it's too much.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I have been thinking a lot about "solving problems backwards" lately. For instance, most will say that withholding sex has some deeper emotional or even physical culprit behind it, and that this needs to be solved first; sure, in many cases, that is true. But sometimes taking action BEFORE we feel fully mentally or emotionally prepared or sorted out can help us to develop the skills we need to dissolve the emotional issues. It is like people who stress about being awkward in dating and so they avoid it, but if they jumped in and dated more, then things would likely get better over time.

There is some evidence out there that sex drive can increase the more sex you have...which seems "backwards", but makes some sense if you think about it. Of course, communication is still necessary for working out details in order to solve what led to the dry spell to begin with.
I agree with this. I know when he is ticked off about something and not in the mood, but I also know that frequent or infrequent jags will cause an upward or downward cycle accordingly. When it's very frequent, we are usually in better moods, more communicative, more helpful. I get the idea behind the OP, and we do try to be proactive and initiate for the other person, but to me "withholding" is a wholly different mindset. When he's stressed out about work I don't think he is withholding.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
I have never had sex that wasn't like this. It's not very fun.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:34 PM

507 posts, read 443,340 times
Quote:
I agree with this. I know when he is ticked off about something and not in the mood, but I also know that frequent or infrequent jags will cause an upward or downward cycle accordingly. When it's very frequent, we are usually in better moods, more communicative, more helpful. I get the idea behind the OP, and we do try to be proactive and initiate for the other person, but to me "withholding" is a wholly different mindset. When he's stressed out about work I don't think he is withholding.
In other words, you don't take it personally.

Unfortunately, some people do, and then it becomes a bit of a power struggle.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
yes, of course not.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:23 PM

oh and to all of those who leave mean reputation comments: I don't take them seriously if you don't leave your name, coward.

But thanks for adding points to my reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships