Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

OP, I don't know how it's possible that she'd be able to run the shower for 60 minutes or close to it, and not run out of hot water. Unless you're in a big apartment building.

But if she's showering so long that she's still in there when your show is over and you can't take your shower, like you said, then that's definitely excessive. Odd.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:23 PM

912 posts, read 915,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Did you say ex? Just saying
lol Yes, he's an ex because he's abusive, not because he has 5 cars (although that wastefulness was a large point of contention in our relationship, until we came up with the previously mentioned solution).

Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 AM

118 posts, read 95,619 times
Let her go five days without a shower, you will be begging for those long ones again.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:35 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Does she have any skin left?

Old 12-18-2015, 12:43 PM

663 posts, read 1,725,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
My girlfriend has many wonderful qualities and I love her. But being that we are in a drought, I find her long showers usually average at least 30 min and are often longer, pretty unconscionable.
Obviously it's not "unconscionable" to her. You can't change her and quite frankly it's not your place to tell her how long her showers should be. There's nothing you can (or should) do. She is aware of the drought and is aware of her shower length. If it bothers you that much, then move out.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,909,751 times
Bottom line, is that it depends on how selfish she is in other matters. If this is just a one-off thing, I'd let it slide. If this was her normal behavior for most things, she'd be paying 100% of the rent at her own place and I'd be paying my 70% at my new girlfriend's place.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:11 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
I'm sorry, but, I think OP is making a bigger deal of it than needs be.

You moved into her place I am assuming from the OP.. She has a routine in the shower, whether it's diddling herself, pooping like an elephant, or that she is a clean freak, and here you come and bust her chops about it. Like it or hate it, she has probably been doing this for years, and, the only thing griping will get you is a Uhaul.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:31 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
California is in a state of severe drought. You are not supposed to shower long, water prices are rising. Yards are brown, rivers empty and lakes almost dried up.

I just collected $5k from the state because I turned my yard into a drought resistant landscape and got $$ for putting in new toilets who use less flush water.

Showering for 60 minutes is not only expensive. It is a huge waste of natural resources - drought or no drought - and very ignorant.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Recognize that she is definitely not into frugal living or resource conservation. At 40+, chances are she will not change. In 27 or less years you will be able to retire. Are you willing to live with someone who is unwilling to compromise or think of their carbon footprints? It's your decision but it's thoughtless people like this who got us into ecology problems in the first place.
Nooooo - not from long showers. Its all the ag-business and other industries using millions of gallons of water...oh, and how about the celebrities watering their acres and acres? If this is the ONLY thing she does, then OP better hang on to this woman! He gives no indication that she spends on other stuff.

You can SAY this is totally about conservation, but it is extremely controlling to try to browbeat what people do in the bathroom! Do I limit your time to take a dump every day? Or to ___ck off, if that's where you do it? Sorry, but what I do in the bathroom is my business. And I don't share my bathroom, HE gets the other one to stink up for as much time each day as he wants!

Find a bigger battle OP, because as you state it here, this is a stupid one to break up over. You gotta have something more!

Old 12-18-2015, 04:59 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
My girlfriend has many wonderful qualities and I love her. But being that we are in a drought, I find her long showers usually average at least 30 min and are often longer, pretty unconscionable. Last night after another one of her marathon showers, I said you know we have a severe drought. 45 minutes is too long. And while I take 5 min showers, I do realize women have more to do in there. She said "I'll shower as long as I want." And then something to the effect of "you didn't have to move in if you don't like it."

Meanwhile I pay 70% of the rent, since I earn much more than her. I was really put off by her comment. I don't like to find arguments but I'm really turned off by her selfishness in this regard. It makes me wonder if she even knows how bad a drought we have? Not that her actions alone are using up all our water, but it's still not right in my opinion.

By the way, we're both in out 40s.
Thoughts?
She's playing with B.O.B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships