Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,615 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

If he moves away from the bad influences, he will be better.

He has so much potential.

He behaved that way because xxxx.

He will be perfect if I can change x, x and x about him.

Meanwhile, somewhere out there is a guy who doesn't need to be changed. Someone you don't have to rescue. Someone that you can respect exactly as he is right now.

Edit: by the way, when you get SERIOUS with your threats, that's when he will start hiding the behavior and sneaking around to behave that way.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-12-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:57 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
Do you really want to be the girl who's attached her life to a felon? This will cross itself over to you by association and affect your life too. What nice boy is ever going to want to get involved with you knowing of this past relationship? It doesn't matter that he's downplaying the seriousness to you. He's doing a sales job to gain your acceptance. One mistake should have set him right, anything after that was his disregard for the law and rules in general. How many girls are in prison because they were too weak to disregard that bad boy they thought loved them?

I'm not saying he can't change but he has already affected his life, and potentially yours, with a felony conviction. At the very least I would recommend continuing to date other people and not make any sort of commitment even an emotional one to him for a good long time. There are plenty of guys who don't have this hanging over them. Don't sell yourself short.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't suppose you will listen, but here goes. His parents divorce is no excuse for his behavior. Millions of kid's parents get divorced and they don't commit crimes and use drugs. These things show him to be of weak character. Could he turn his life around? Sure, but he needs to put a lot more time in. He has already demonstrated that he is a parole violator. Even if he does not get caught, he is still a liar.

You should be totally honest with your parents. What would be the downside of doing this? You should take advantage of their judgement to protect you from yourself.

Why are you so needy that you feel you only deserve a man like this?
Yep. In fact, OP, your hesitance to tell your parents SHOULD BE a huge red flag. Shouldn't you be able to talk about your BF with people WITHOUT fear "finding out" stuff?

So now you've broken two of your own deal breakers.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:00 AM

525 posts, read 406,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't suppose you will listen, but here goes. His parents divorce is no excuse for his behavior. Millions of kid's parents get divorced and they don't commit crimes and use drugs. These things show him to be of weak character. Could he turn his life around? Sure, but he needs to put a lot more time in. He has already demonstrated that he is a parole violator. Even if he does not get caught, he is still a liar.

You should be totally honest with your parents. What would be the downside of doing this? You should take advantage of their judgement to protect you from yourself.

Why are you so needy that you feel you only deserve a man like this?

Honestly, everyone has a past and some people past are much worse than others which was why I gave it a shot. He also told me about his past when we first began to talk rather than keeping it a secret. He told me with sincerity

Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yep. In fact, OP, your hesitance to tell your parents SHOULD BE a huge red flag. Shouldn't you be able to talk about your BF with people WITHOUT fear "finding out" stuff?

So now you've broken two of your own deal breakers.
I thought about this, I should not have to hide anything.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Do you really want to be the girl who's attached her life to a felon? This will cross itself over to you by association and affect your life too. What nice boy is ever going to want to get involved with you knowing of this past relationship? It doesn't matter that he's downplaying the seriousness to you. He's doing a sales job to gain your acceptance. One mistake should have set him right, anything after that was his disregard for the law and rules in general. How many girls are in prison because they were too weak to disregard that bad boy they thought loved them?

I'm not saying he can't change but he has already affected his life, and potentially yours, with a felony conviction. At the very least I would recommend continuing to date other people and not make any sort of commitment even an emotional one to him for a good long time. There are plenty of guys who don't have this hanging over them. Don't sell yourself short.

I have waited too late to start dating other people. He and I is head over heels now and I allowed myself to look at all angles of this situation

Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Honestly, everyone has a past and some people past are much worse than others which was why I gave it a shot. He also told me about his past when we first began to talk rather than keeping it a secret. He told me with sincerity
He must be pretty good looking then.

I'm sure he didn't have his criminal record in his POF profile.

As he was telling you about each charge and conviction, at no point did you hear your inner voice warning you?

Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
He must be pretty good looking then.

I'm sure he didn't have his criminal record in his POF profile.

As he was telling you about each charge and conviction, at no point did you hear your inner voice warning you?
Yes I did. My first thought was has he changed or will he do something that would put me in harms way. So far he has been attending church with me and working. I hope this remains

Old 04-12-2016, 08:09 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times
OP:

Why on earth are you involved with him?

Old 04-12-2016, 08:11 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Yes I did. My first thought was has he changed or will he do something that would put me in harms way. So far he has been attending church with me and working. I hope this remains
Whether or not he wants to truly change and not go back to his old ways is up to him.

He has to do this for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships