Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:59 AM

525 posts, read 406,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
It is never to late to break off a relationship that isn't good for you. He must be ecstatic that he was able to find a decent girl to date him. You need to talk to your parents and he needs at least as long as he was in prison to prove himself. Tell him to call you in a year.

He never went to prison. He only spent time in the county jail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:01 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,909,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post

My mental energy is already a little drained being that I am trying to stop him from smoking weed until his probation is done. I do not want him to spend 30 days in jail because that would mean the relationship is over between us
You are enabling an addict.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:02 AM

It's not your job to "help" him to quite smoking pot. That's his job. You can't make an addict stop using his drug of choice. Your job is to set firm boundaries and are not to be crossed. Those boundaries should be backed up by strict consequences.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:05 AM

Hey guys thanks for the advices. Just to be clear he never spent time in prison but in the county jail and has been on probation for 2 years now and been out of trouble since he was 21. He is now 23. Once he pays off his probation, his felony charge will drop.

If he hasn't changed by our anniversary which is January 1 or even some months before them, I am ending it. I worked to hard for my accomplishments to have someone come in and ruin everything.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Honestly, everyone has a past and some people past are much worse than others which was why I gave it a shot. He also told me about his past when we first began to talk rather than keeping it a secret. He told me with sincerity
His present is that he cannot stop using weed long enough to finish his probation and he is violating the terms of that probation. This is what addicts do.

You are already enabling him, so you are part of the problem also.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Hey guys thanks for the advices. Just to be clear he never spent time in prison but in the county jail and has been on probation for 2 years now and been out of trouble since he was 21. He is now 23. Once he pays off his probation, his felony charge will drop.

If he hasn't changed by our anniversary which is January 1 or even some months before them, I am ending it. I worked to hard for my accomplishments to have someone come in and ruin everything.

This is not how healthy people set healthy boundaries. You are well on your way to a full blown co-dependent relationship with addict.

You might want to consider attending an Al-Anon meeting or two.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:13 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Just to be clear he never spent time in prison but in the county jail ...
Does it REALLY matter?

That's called "two sides of the same coin."

This is the kind of distinction you make when you are trying to justify something you know isn't quite right.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
This is not how healthy people set healthy boundaries. You are well on your way to a full blown co-dependent relationship with addict.

You might want to consider attending an Al-Anon meeting or two.

I set a boundary. I told him he must stop or I will leave him. I can not support him if he spends 30 days in jail

Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times
OP:

Since you mentioned that both of you are going to church, have you 1) talked to God about this to get his wisdom and guideline?, 2) have you prayed about this and 3) have you talked to God about whether or not he wants you to be with him?

With everything that is happening regarding your boyfriend, perhaps God is telling you that he is not the one for you.

God could very well be telling this guy to east and you to go west. He could very well not want you to go east as well.

I would follow what God tells you, not what your boyfriend tells you.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Does it REALLY matter?

This is the kind of distinction you make when you are trying to justify something you know isn't quite right.

It sort of does matter because his crimes were considered petty crimes. I even was about to spend time in jail over an unpaid speeding ticket,

I know what he doing isn't right but the county jail is far different from the prison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships