Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As a married woman have the right to do anything I want that's legal and not against my wedding vows, as does my husband.

As a HAPPILY married couple, we tend to "ask" each other before we do things that we know may be a problem. Riding motorcycles and cutting off all our hair fall within the "ask" parameters.
I cut all my hair off every now and then without asking permission! You can't do that? I probably would check first about a tattoo or piercing but shaving my head? Nah. Sooner or later she gets around to touching it and goes "ewwww".

Old 06-16-2016, 10:38 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I cut all my hair off every now and then without asking permission! You can't do that? I probably would check first about a tattoo or piercing but shaving my head? Nah. Sooner or later she gets around to touching it and goes "ewwww".
My hair is long, my husband likes long hair. If I got a pixie cut it would be rather drastic. I just cut off 4 inches and didn't ask. Why? Because you can hardly notice. My husband hardly ever vetos anything, when he does I listen.

To me, communication is key, as is empathy and caring.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-16-2016, 10:46 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Don't speed, use your signals, be aware of other drivers (who often can't see you,) and don't split lanes. A loud motor on your bike is a plus, not a minus, because drivers who can't see you can hear you coming at least. Cruisers are easier for some people to ride than crotch rockets, so you might want to start with one of those. Happy riding!
Lol. Don't speed? Are you kidding me. That's the allure of most guys buying a motorcycle. It's the speed, the danger that gives you that rush ..."the fun". There's nothing like launching my Ducatti 0-100 in under 5secs, feeling my gut slam into my backbone as I throttle up to 170mph on a open stretch - hanging on to dear life and hoping a small animal doesn't cross the road.

Yeah, it's ridiculously stupid and dangerous, but that's the allure; for me anyways. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:01 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

Yeah, it's ridiculously stupid and dangerous, but that's the allure; for me anyways. I'm sure I'm not alone.
That's the reason I ride with my husband..... so I can prevent that!

They rode rice rockets in their 20s, and even my husband mentioned they should have died on multiple occasions.

The reason I don't get a bike? Because once I got comfortable, I would get stupid.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-16-2016, 11:33 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's the reason I ride with my husband..... so I can prevent that!

They rode rice rockets in their 20s, and even my husband mentioned they should have died on multiple occasions.

The reason I don't get a bike? Because once I got comfortable, I would get stupid.
I was that stupid young guy that popped wheelies (sitting on my handlebars) and trying other dumb stunts. I had no reguard for my own life and machine. If I dumped my new 12k bike I would think nothing of it, and if I broke a bone I would laugh it off to the hospital . I was so reckless I'm glad I made it past that phase.

It just dawned on me..... most of the motorcycles I've bought throughout my life have been by newbie fathers and or newly weds.

"Only 900miles....Wife says it must go!.....price to sell cash only" cha ching!

Old 06-16-2016, 01:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Yes. But isn't the danger part of its sexy appeal to some? *shrugs*
Geez you really have no concept of what motorcycling is about. I am amazed at the posts in this thread.

None have even come close to the reality of what motorcycling is about. It's interesting in a sad way how those with no experience riding think they are all of a sudden the authority on the subject. *big shug*

Old 06-16-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
LOL. There are many people who are telling OP not to get a bike because they're not safe. Many of these posters sound like they've never ridden on one.
It's truly disturbing seeing this behavior here in this thread from all of the folks who have never ridden a motorcycle.

Human intelligence is imperfect, surely, and newly arisen. The ease with which it can be sweet talked, over whelmed or subverted by other hard wired tendencies, sometimes, themselves disguised as right of reason is truly worrisome.

Quote:
Even if you have, I'll remind you guys of this. The purpose of life is to live. We should enjoy life; otherwise, what's the point of it? Riding motorcycles is riskier than driving cars, but there is no way to duplicate the feeling of riding a bike by driving a silly convertible. It's just not the same. Riding a motorcycle feels great. It's not the same drudgery of driving that you get from schlepping back and forth to wherever in your car/truck/SUV.
Nicely put. I have a sports car and it mostly sits. The only time I drive my car is to the store or when we are dressing up to go out. I get much more joy out of commuting on my motorcycle.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-16-2016 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 01:28 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Plactating the wife's' fear? Absolutely assure her that your responsible safety in riding is number 1. You can both agree that you are not secretly harboring a death wish.

Buy the bike, your toy, YOUR money.

Sorry since I know most believe that the wife has the final say. I give balance and autonomy much credence.

I think it's great that you spoke with her. Get your bike. be responsible. Enjoy the ride!

Old 06-16-2016, 01:38 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Interesting. Your ex-husband believes one should always wear a helmet. Why? How would he know? He's never had an accident! I was wearing a (full face) helmet the day I fell off my bike at 55mph and it was pretty scuffed up when I looked at it afterwards. I agree with your husband, helmets are indeed a good idea. I did plenty of speeding in the month or so after I got the hang of it all, and ironically, I was not speeding the day I had my accident.

People throw out stuff and some of it makes sense, but often its just put out there without any science or logic. Like loud pipes. Drivers hate loud motorcycles and they may not treat you right in a clutch situation where they are supposed to yield right of way and... Cruisers are not easier to ride, it just seems that way because you are more comfortable. A crotch rocket is optimized for handling and speed, 'easier' is very relative. Its clear that your ex-husband had opinions formed by his own experience with bikes and he has passed them on to you.
Yes. Drivers hate loud motorcycles. But they also hear them. Because motorcycles are so small, they are often not seen. And it's better to be heard and not seen than to be neither seen NOR heard. And cruisers are more comfortable to ride than crotch rockets, Riding is a complex activity, and cruisers can make it a little easier for the new rider by offering a comfortable sitting ride, rather than the more uncomfortable posture required by leaning forward on a racing bike.

Quote:
Like splitting lanes. In Houston, probably questionable. In California, however, thousands of bikers do it daily without incident. It looks gnarly, but it's an integral part of the road culture there.
People do thousands of dangerous things daily without incident. It doesn't make splitting lanes a safe practice And it doesn't matter whether you are in California or Texas; splitting lanes is a stupid thing to do. FYI, I used to live in California, and there are just as many unsafe motorcycle riders there as here. Poor driving habits does not a "culture" make. It's called being an unsafe driver.

Quote:
One cannot stay in one part of a diverse place like the U.S. and make blanket pronouncements for all to observe.
Sure you can. You just did when you said wearing a helmet is a smart thing to do, didn't you? Geography doesn't play favorites when it comes to many things. If OP wants to take up a risky activity, fine, but take sensible steps to have fun and minimize these risks.

Quote:
I think the main reason the o.p. should pass on the bike thing is age. You could start playing the violin at age 40 and you probably won't kill anyone or yourself. You won't get very good, but, its fairly benign as far as a pointless waste of time and money in pursuit of a missed opportunity of youth. Motorcycle riding relies on built in reflexes and spatial awareness skills that are best learned in youth. Not at all saying it can't be done. There is always going to be some frustrating point killing example that defies the odds. And? What? No, you are not going to be that person. If you have a wife telling you you shouldn't do something, that is IMO more than proof enough that you waited too long to get 'er done. She wouldn't have a word to say about it one way or another if you had already been doing it when the two of you met.
Of course she would. She probably would have complained soon after they met and told OP to stop doing it. Many women are afraid of motorcycles. I was until my ex-girlfriend tossed me her extra helmet and told me to jump on her Harley soon after we met. I was scared at first, then I loved it. The key is to get your lady on the bike with you. If you can do that, she often gets bitten by the bike bug herself.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
And it doesn't matter whether you are in California or Texas; splitting lanes is a stupid thing to do. FYI, I used to live in California, and there are just as many unsafe motorcycle riders there as here. Poor driving habits does not a "culture" make. It's called being an unsafe driver.
Splitting lanes is not stupid. CA is the only state where it's legal to do. It's the main reason most people use a motorcycle to commute, traffic here would take me 1-1.5 hours to travel 25 miles in rush hour.

I get to and from work in 20-25 minutes...no matter how heavy the traffic is...or even if traffic is at a complete stop. I never have to sit in traffic. That is such a wonderful feeling. It's blissful beyond blissful. It peels away all of those years of feeling aggravated from sitting in your car in traffic totally helpless. It really feels light and breezy being fluid and moving down the freeway while everyone else is siting at a stop or doing the stop and go all the way to work.

The only time I view it as STUPID is when the motorcyclist is blasting through at 80 mph while splitting. That is beyond STUPID! It's not only a danger to themselves but they are putting other motorcyclists at risk. They will aggressively ride your tail and rev their engines until you squeeze back over into the flow of traffic to let them pass you.

When I first moved here I thought lane splitting was crazy. However, after I learned about it and about how to do it safely...I see no issue with it. It can be done safely. Me nor my partner has ever had a close call or issue while splitting lanes. The highway culture out here is accustomed to it. Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal.

It spoils you. It's one of the reasons I can't stand driving my car.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-16-2016 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships