Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I agree with this to a point. Some things are more dangerous than others. They call helmets brain buckets for a reason..... that's about all they accomplish.... hold the head together.

An accident on a bike is almost never minor, and there are a lot of stupid drivers out there.

An accident in a Camry (any car) and a motorcycle is like night and day.

And my husband packs me, so I am not anti-bike.
Neither am I anti bike. But motorcycles are the least safest way to commute.

There's a huge difference riding my motorcycle in Hawaii (open roads) and navigatating my motorcycle in Arizona (downtown Phoenix) to get to my office; it's a gauntlet of idiot drivers always in a hurry to get somewhere.

As experienced/skilled as I think I am, I have absolutely no control over other people's vehicles, nor can I predict their next dumb action. I'm at their mercy.

I only have one suggestion for the OP if he decides to get a motorcycle: don't let it be your only mode of transportation.

I still think you should gain the support of your wife, OP before getting one.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I think if you look hard enough, you can use "some things are more dangerous than others" to justify a lot of things.

Just because one can, doesn't mean they do. Nothing in the OP indicated the wife was doing that.

OP should do everything he can to attempt to get his wife on board or at least realize that this is something important to him. But I think OP has a right to pursue this despite reasonable concern from his wife.

Of course he has the "right" to do it. Do you think it is the compassionate thing to do? I have the "right" to do a lot of things, so does my husband. But we care about the other's happiness, which is one of the main reasons we have a happy marriage.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2016, 01:11 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
We used to call motorcycle riders cycle donors at the big box hospital I used to work at. I've seen those horrific accidents and have lost two boyfriends to them. One other friend nearly lost her leg from an accident.

John had one when we first met and we had a couple of close calls just riding around the neighborhood.

The best birthday present he ever gave me was when he let his motorcycle license expire.

Think twice or three times or more about getting one.

John wants to fly airplanes, sorry this is not related, but it's the same mentality. YeaH and NO!

Old 06-15-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
John wants to fly airplanes, sorry this is not related, but it's the same mentality. YeaH and NO!
Ugh. I forgot, husband wants to get a plane license when he retires. I'm a "no" on that, I don't like to fly in small planes. I can't stop him from doing it, but I can refuse to fly with him. He wants the license so we can fly ourselves for travel.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
I don't want you to get a motorcycle either.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Who cares what you THINK?
Those aren't the facts.
Where do you see me saying facts? These are common sense lessons.
Quote:
  • Lesson number one: Never take advice from a person who has little to no riding experience.
  • Lesson number two. Never listen to a person who has crashed and burned on a motorcycle because that person was most likely at fault or not a skilled rider.
If you were looking to purchase a motorcycle, would you go seek advice from a person who has never touched one? Or a person who has 40 years of experience riding them?

If you wanted to learn anything about motorcycling who would you get your advice from? A person who has no experience at all with a motorcycle or a person who is highly experienced?

By the way you post I would be willing to bet you would go to the person who has zero experience or knoweldge about motorcycling. HA Good luck with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Better *lesson* is not to listen to people like you who have no medical training or experience.
BIG LESSON for you is it's not wise to assume.

I work as a Medical Professional and I hold degree's to be licensed as a Medical Professional.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-15-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Ugh. I forgot, husband wants to get a plane license when he retires. I'm a "no" on that, I don't like to fly in small planes. I can't stop him from doing it, but I can refuse to fly with him. He wants the license so we can fly ourselves for travel.
Screw that noise, those little small Cessna's and other super small aircraft. LOL, naw, I'll take my chances with a bike, not to scare you but those little planes are always dropping out of the sky.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
For all those who cite the death of the brother-in-law for reason he should not get a bike, let me question this. If the brother died, in a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, despite those being two of the safest cars on the road, What if OP said he wanted an Accord? Despite solid research that backs up the likelihood he would survive a crash in an Accord, if the wife refused to "let" him purchase one, would you still think that is reasonable?

I completely understand the fear the wife has, but there is a point where fear causes irrational actions to be done. OP should take every precaution he can, but a wife "forbidding" the OP from purchasing a bike because of her trauma? Not reasonable.
Most people don't use logic when reasoning about things like this.

They can't get past the knee jerk reaction.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Screw that noise, those little small Cessna's and other super small aircraft. LOL, naw, I'll take my chances with a bike, not to scare you but those little planes are always dropping out of the sky.

That's EXACTLY where I'm coming from.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I agree with this to a point. Some things are more dangerous than others. They call helmets brain buckets for a reason..... that's about all they accomplish.... hold the head together.
They do more than just hold a head together.

They help in the following.
  • Avoiding Fatal Head Injuries
  • Wind and Dust Protection
  • Keeping Eyes Secure

Motorcycle Helmets – Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety

Quote:
An accident on a bike is almost never minor, and there are a lot of stupid drivers out there.
Actually most motorcycle accidents are minor. There are a lot of stupid motorcyclist out there doing extremes and those are never minor accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships