Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 11:36 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

What kind of jerk goes:

"Hey! You know that mode of transportation your brother died on just a couple years ago? That's what I want!!!!"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
For all those who cite the death of the brother-in-law for reason he should not get a bike, let me question this. If the brother died, in a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, despite those being two of the safest cars on the road, What if OP said he wanted an Accord? Despite solid research that backs up the likelihood he would survive a crash in an Accord, if the wife refused to "let" him purchase one, would you still think that is reasonable?

I completely understand the fear the wife has, but there is a point where fear causes irrational actions to be done. OP should take every precaution he can, but a wife "forbidding" the OP from purchasing a bike because of her trauma? Not reasonable.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherethenotsare View Post
I have been thinking for a long time about getting one, not to do anything crazy or like that but I think it would still be fun and convenient to save on gas car payment etc.

The thing is my wife is really against it because a few years ago her brother died on one. Whenever I have brought the subject up she always says absolutely not.
Well, I guess you've got to ask yourself a question. What's more important to you?

*Accommodating your wife's understandable dislike of that which reminds her of the tragic loss of a loved one and which would undoubtedly cause her considerable angst and worry that she might lose another loved one?

or

*Your fun and convenience?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, I guess you've got to ask yourself a question. What's more important to you?

*Accommodating your wife's understandable dislike of that which reminds her of the tragic loss of a loved one and which would undoubtedly cause her considerable angst and worry that she might lose another loved one?

or

*Your fun and convenience?
It's this simple. It's a choice.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:51 AM

264 posts, read 183,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What kind of jerk goes:

"Hey! You know that mode of transportation your brother died on just a couple years ago? That's what I want!!!!"

Anybody that is married to a person who's sibling died in a car crash....

Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 AM

That's just beyond insensitive.

My late husband rode, and my current husband now rides. If my late husband would have died in a motorcycle crash, I don't think DH would even ask.......

Old 06-15-2016, 11:56 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Quote:
That's just beyond insensitive.

My late husband rode, and my current husband now rides. If my late husband would have died in a motorcycle crash, I don't think DH would even ask.......
You're expecting humans not to have normal human tendencies.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
You're expecting humans not to have normal human tendencies.

The ones I choose to associate with tend towards more human tendencies like compassion and empathy. Also wouldn't let a mode of transportation matter that much to them.

Of course, those you associate with (or be) may differ.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
For all those who cite the death of the brother-in-law for reason he should not get a bike, let me question this. If the brother died, in a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, despite those being two of the safest cars on the road, What if OP said he wanted an Accord? Despite solid research that backs up the likelihood he would survive a crash in an Accord, if the wife refused to "let" him purchase one, would you still think that is reasonable?

I completely understand the fear the wife has, but there is a point where fear causes irrational actions to be done. OP should take every precaution he can, but a wife "forbidding" the OP from purchasing a bike because of her trauma? Not reasonable.

I agree with this to a point. Some things are more dangerous than others. They call helmets brain buckets for a reason..... that's about all they accomplish.... hold the head together.

An accident on a bike is almost never minor, and there are a lot of stupid drivers out there.

An accident in a Camry (any car) and a motorcycle is like night and day.

And my husband packs me, so I am not anti-bike.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
I agree with this to a point. Some things are more dangerous than others. They call helmets brain buckets for a reason..... that's about all they accomplish.... hold the head together.

An accident on a bike is almost never minor, and there are a lot of stupid drivers out there.

An accident in a Camry (any car) and a motorcycle is like night and day.

And my husband packs me, so I am not anti-bike.
I think if you look hard enough, you can use "some things are more dangerous than others" to justify a lot of things.

Take my residence in Northern VA. Since 2000, we've had a major earthquake, the worst terrorist attack in US history, and a major hurricane. Can any of those things happen again? Absolutely. Am I at a higher risk of dying from one of those things here than in other parts of the country? Yes. But why did I move back here after college? Because this area was somewhere I needed to be in spirit. The risk was worth all I've been able to do here.

I'm not completely unsympathetic to the wife's concern. I had a case where I lost a close friend a few years ago in a car accident on a major interstate in another state and I had to travel that same road to get to a concert. Did I think twice? Yes. But I decided to power through that fear and ended up having the best weekend ever at a great show.

OP should do everything he can to attempt to get his wife on board or at least realize that this is something important to him. But I think OP has a right to pursue this despite reasonable concern from his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships