Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2021, 08:39 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am not getting the vaccine. I am young and in excellent health. Even if I contract the virus I have like a 95% or better chance of recovering without any lasting effects. I am also still in my child bearing years and want more kids. There’s no scientific data on the possible long term effects of a rush to use drug on pregnancy. It just doesn’t make good sense to me at this point in time. Plus.... I trust the government about as far as I can throw them. Lol
I think i am a few years older then you, Kel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 09:05 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
My mom gets her 2nd shot this week and I am getting my first. My sister is done since she works in a hospital.

Bittersweet since we lost my step dad to the virus. I am happy that my mom will be taken care of though, especially since she has a compromised immune system.

Hope you have had a good weekend
I think getting the older folks taken care of is really a priority. I'm glad your mom is set, she's in that group the CDC really stresses that need to be addressed up front, right along with the first responder health care providers.
I've never been more proud of those workers that really are our first line, kudos to them and thanks to your sister for her efforts.

We'll get through this, I posted upthread, we're seeing the end here so let's keep on keeping on and we will pull through this.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:09 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I think i am a few years older then you, Kel...
Yeah, I am pretty sure most of the posters in this thread are....
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Last edited by Sydney123; 04-11-2021 at 10:09 PM..

Old 04-12-2021, 11:51 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The light at the end of the tunnel appears to not be a train and I think we're on the road to normalcy, fingers crossed.

Found out we'll be able to work from home still. Now that is good news. No more monkey suits for this feller, at least less, we'll still have to go in once a week or so. Gotta love those 18 mile commutes that take an hour and a half.

I get to host my first meeting this coming week. You all might know Chow as the cool hand Luke, oddly strange old reference, but I'm crapping my pants like a big dawg, but I've got the skills to pay the bills, at least enough to keep the lights on so we'll see I guess. My fears have oddly enough invoked some sort of Ringo-esque (Tombstone) sense of unfounded courage.

Reality is to be determined......
You totally have this. Keep us posted

Old 04-12-2021, 11:53 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
WOW. That ending.

I'm really looking forward to a third season, hopefully late this year from what I read online!

I have a lot of moments where I'm like, "if I were writing the show, this is where I'd go with this"...I felt like there could have been more to a scene on an airplane with Greg and Kendall, and it would give added context to things, but I think it would fit really well as a "get us up to speed" kind of look back, if placed early in a first episode of season 3.

Also, fittingly with the perspective I often bring to this board, I think that Shiv really has done Tom over badly, there is both a power dynamic and the "open relationship" thing that was NOT negotiated in good faith at an early point where he needed that information to give informed consent to a relationship with her. That is what happens when people just assume they can do what they want and it'll be fine. I hope he divorces her. He's a total dork, but no one deserves to be treated that way.

But yanno. Vipers, the lot of them, anyhow.

And earlier in the season, the scene where Kendall does the um...musical number...at the event for his Dad... I almost died...
We literally screamed out loud at the ending, LOL. We cannot wait for the next season!!

Old 04-12-2021, 05:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My supervisor got his first shot a few days ago. He keeps hounding me to get one. I hear that the first shot is the one people tend to have more problems with.

Let us know how it goes after the second one, if you feel like sharing that is.
My first shot was not bad. Arm was sore. Felt sort of cruddy for a bit. Thinking that might be more springtime pollen stuff than anything else. I can give you an update.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:53 PM

So now the J&J vaccine has been put on pause because of possible blood clots. I also heard a doctor say that women of child bearing age should not take it ( the J&J shot). Who are we supposed to believe? Seriously...WTF!

Old 04-13-2021, 05:16 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
So far, out of millions of doses, only a handful of women have had severe reactions to the J&J vaccine, so while I understand the abundance of caution, from the information we have now it doesn't seem any more dangerous than any other medication on the market. More women probably get blood clots from birth control pills.

My workplace is sponsoring a clinic, so I get my first shot at the end of the month.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:17 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
So now the J&J vaccine has been put on pause because of possible blood clots. I also heard a doctor say that women of child bearing age should not take it ( the J&J shot). Who are we supposed to believe? Seriously...WTF!
Kind of the question of our times, if you ask me. Who ARE you supposed to believe? Scientists? Religious figures? Political leaders? Which ones, if so? News media? Entertainment? Stand up comedians? Your friends on social media? Who?

I get that some say, and think, that Covid was only ever a sniffle and the vaccine is worse.

How is it worse, though?

Does the vaccine kill? No deaths have thus far been definitively pinned on the vaccine as a cause, as far as I've been able to find through scientific sources. I believe scientific sources, before government, before religion, before my friends, neighbors or relatives...let me hear from scientists. I subscribe to Wired for reasons. That's the kind of source I want to read. Give me interviews with lab people, with science people, with tech people.

Covid kills, though. Sure it's a small percentage. But it is a significant one in a large population. And while a fit and healthy youngish person has even better odds, the possibility of death is still there. The official numbers as of now are 2.95 million deaths from Covid, and none from the vaccine. I know people who will then talk about car accident victims wrongly labeled Covid deaths. OK, well if it's all fake news, you're just telling me that you have chosen what you believe. That's all.

OK, what about the long term possible side effects? You're right, we don't know yet about that.

But we do have reports of "long haulers" with Covid who caught it a year ago and have yet to fully recover and who may have permanent damage to major organ systems.

Granted. It could all be a lie. Scientists could be lying. Anyone could be lying.

At the end of the day, each of us can only make a CHOICE about what and who we trust. That's it. All there is to it. And like every parent contemplating risk where one's actual or potential child is concerned, you are doing the best you can to make a wise and careful choice. I seriously feel for anyone who has babies, or even school age kids, this last year. Ya'll have it so hard in so many ways.

I know a very smart young man who is studying to be a biochemist who says he won't be getting a vaccine. But he also told us (a bunch of us on a Zoom call) that if he were willing to consider it, the Pfizer one is the safest one. He explained in detail about the mechanics of how they all work, and I honestly can't remember it all, but he did seem to know what he's talking about, and it's made me feel better that it's the one I got.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Kind of the question of our times, if you ask me. Who ARE you supposed to believe? Scientists? Religious figures? Political leaders? Which ones, if so? News media? Entertainment? Stand up comedians? Your friends on social media? Who?

I get that some say, and think, that Covid was only ever a sniffle and the vaccine is worse.

How is it worse, though?

Does the vaccine kill? No deaths have thus far been definitively pinned on the vaccine as a cause, as far as I've been able to find through scientific sources. I believe scientific sources, before government, before religion, before my friends, neighbors or relatives...let me hear from scientists. I subscribe to Wired for reasons. That's the kind of source I want to read. Give me interviews with lab people, with science people, with tech people.

Covid kills, though. Sure it's a small percentage. But it is a significant one in a large population. And while a fit and healthy youngish person has even better odds, the possibility of death is still there. The official numbers as of now are 2.95 million deaths from Covid, and none from the vaccine. I know people who will then talk about car accident victims wrongly labeled Covid deaths. OK, well if it's all fake news, you're just telling me that you have chosen what you believe. That's all.

OK, what about the long term possible side effects? You're right, we don't know yet about that.

But we do have reports of "long haulers" with Covid who caught it a year ago and have yet to fully recover and who may have permanent damage to major organ systems.

Granted. It could all be a lie. Scientists could be lying. Anyone could be lying.

At the end of the day, each of us can only make a CHOICE about what and who we trust. That's it. All there is to it. And like every parent contemplating risk where one's actual or potential child is concerned, you are doing the best you can to make a wise and careful choice. I seriously feel for anyone who has babies, or even school age kids, this last year. Ya'll have it so hard in so many ways.

I know a very smart young man who is studying to be a biochemist who says he won't be getting a vaccine. But he also told us (a bunch of us on a Zoom call) that if he were willing to consider it, the Pfizer one is the safest one. He explained in detail about the mechanics of how they all work, and I honestly can't remember it all, but he did seem to know what he's talking about, and it's made me feel better that it's the one I got.
Sorry, but the last paragraph makes no sense to me. The so called experts with years of experience don’t even know what the possible side effects are, but you’re willing to make what could possibly be a life altering decision based on the word of a biochemistry “student”.... because he’s a smart kid?
Did he tell you why he’s not taking the vaccine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships