Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2021, 05:46 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

What I love most, for natural scenery around here, is the sky. The way the clouds and light and shadows move across the mountains can be really cool. I do miss having proper transitional seasons, though. Spring and Fall around here feel like Winter and Summer are on a light switch and somebody just starts flipping it on and off. It's snowing today. It's supposed to be in the 70s in a couple of days. We don't get quite the display of flowers and greenery you get in other places in the Spring, nor the spectacular colors of the mid-Atlantic states in the Fall. Aspens feh, they're just YELLOW. lol

What is nice about living on a mountain is that you can kind of select what weather you want to deal with. In the summer when it is hot in Sacramento, you drive up the hill and in 45 minutes you are high enough where you beat the heat.

In the wintertime there is no snow on the valley floor, but you can drive up to Squaw Valley or Alpine Meadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The mountains around Laramie and south of I 80 are a place I want to poke around. I would like to load up the camper for that adventure.
I also don't know why water helps for elevation sickness but it works. Also as you spend more time at elevation you quickly adjust. If you are doing more aerobic activities at lower elevations that too is supposed to help ward off altitude sickness at elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 12:13 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
There are few hells worse than the 405 and the 10. I feel your pain.
Don’t forget the 91 around Green River…. Lol

Last edited by Sydney123; 05-12-2021 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 12:33 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Just caught a trailer for a BBC miniseries called "The Pursuit of Love" that features Andrew Scott being delicious and I'm going to be very impatiently checking Amazon Prime for it now...it's premiered in the UK but not yet here in the States.

It's been driving me bonkers waiting for shows to come back that had to be put on hold due to Covid... First world problems, I know.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:53 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Just caught a trailer for a BBC miniseries called "The Pursuit of Love" that features Andrew Scott being delicious and I'm going to be very impatiently checking Amazon Prime for it now...it's premiered in the UK but not yet here in the States.

It's been driving me bonkers waiting for shows to come back that had to be put on hold due to Covid... First world problems, I know.
If you haven't read the Nancy Mitford book that it's based on (and you're a reader) it's definitely worthwhile. Nancy was one of the famous Mitford sisters--she was a flapper and writer who lived in Paris and had affairs with married men. One of the other sisters was a devotee of Hitler, one was an avowed Communist, and another became the Duchess of Devonshire. Super interesting family.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:07 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you haven't read the Nancy Mitford book that it's based on (and you're a reader) it's definitely worthwhile. Nancy was one of the famous Mitford sisters--she was a flapper and writer who lived in Paris and had affairs with married men. One of the other sisters was a devotee of Hitler, one was an avowed Communist, and another became the Duchess of Devonshire. Super interesting family.
Huh, perhaps I will!

I wasn't sure if the book would be interesting to me or not, I just got all excited about the preview for the show!

I am a reader, but I usually prefer fantasy fiction...though I might need to branch out. I need more authors in my life.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:16 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
UGH, the WORST! I used to work off of McKinley and would get caught up in that crap.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:59 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
The 91 is probably the second worst nightmare after the 405, 91 and the 10 are probably neck and neck. I work on projects spread throughout all of the So Cal Basin and I've been on freeways since about 92. It's a nightmare here. It was one of the nice things about COVID, (if there was a nice thing), at first was how empty the freeways were. Now they are about up to 90% of what they used to be, not quite the same before the pandemic, but almost.

That whole Santa Ana canyon drive is a nightmare.

The drive on the 405 from around LAX up to and past west LA, another nightmare. You try and get slick and get off the freeway and it's just as bad.

It's probably one of the number 1 reasons I want to leave LA. Actually there are about 5 or so, but traffic and crowding are probably number 1.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The 91 is probably the second worst nightmare after the 405, 91 and the 10 are probably neck and neck. I work on projects spread throughout all of the So Cal Basin and I've been on freeways since about 92. It's a nightmare here. It was one of the nice things about COVID, (if there was a nice thing), at first was how empty the freeways were. Now they are about up to 90% of what they used to be, not quite the same before the pandemic, but almost.

That whole Santa Ana canyon drive is a nightmare.

The drive on the 405 from around LAX up to and past west LA, another nightmare. You try and get slick and get off the freeway and it's just as bad.

It's probably one of the number 1 reasons I want to leave LA. Actually there are about 5 or so, but traffic and crowding are probably number 1.
I’m not looking forward to traffic on my trip since Cali will be fully reopen during it.

I’ve been very spoiled after moving to NC by the lack of traffic here. There aren’t but two choke points in the area that I’ve seen and neither would be on my way to my physical office. I-85 in and out of Durham is especially easy since it opens right from two to five lanes right when you cross the county line and through North of Downtown. Coming down from DC, taking out considerations of traffic opens up so much.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:14 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Quote:
I don't know if you ever spent time in Chicago, but both of my parents were born and raised there, so growing up we used to visit often. One of the regional foods in Chicago is something called a Green River and when I would visit my grandmother she used to make these Green River floats. Chicago has this collection of regional foods like Italian Roast Beef sandwiches and pizza cut in squares that never seemed to escape Chicago. So I was thinking about how a lot of my placed based memories are also food specific.

Now that you are in France are there any Los Angeles foods you miss?

Old 05-12-2021, 06:00 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I don't know if you ever spent time in Chicago, but both of my parents were born and raised there, so growing up we used to visit often. One of the regional foods in Chicago is something called a Green River and when I would visit my grandmother she used to make these Green River floats. Chicago has this collection of regional foods like Italian Roast Beef sandwiches and pizza cut in squares that never seemed to escape Chicago. So I was thinking about how a lot of my placed based memories are also food specific.

Now that you are in France are there any Los Angeles foods you miss?
I miss authentic Mexican food. There’s a restaurant in the SFV called Los Toros. Best Mexican food ever and some pretty good margaritas.
I also miss Damon’s steakhouse in Glendale. It’s a little hole in the wall place decorated with fishing nets, bamboo covered walls and tiki torches. Lol From the street it’s pretty nondescript, but if you went around back there was always a line waiting ( no reservation accepted) to get in. My favorite was to order a New York Strip, baked potato, salad and garlic bread. Yum! It’s a few doors down from Portos Cuban Bakery which is another restaurant I miss. Cakes, pastries, and Cuban dishes. They have these little fried meat filled potatoe balls that were to die for.

I’ve only been to the Airport in ORD…. Just passin through.

Last edited by Sydney123; 05-12-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships