Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2021, 06:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times

Advertisements

I took my booster 10 days ago. The weekend was rough for me. Glad I got the booster and some extra protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 09:04 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Thank you.

I hope it was Covid because it means I now have natural immunity, and can be around my 100 year old grandmother and not worry about making her sick.

Its possible it was the flu but I'm crossing everything it was Covid.

That said, I don't recommend anyone to purposely get Covid just for natural immunity. I was willing to risk it but it was a gamble. A gamble I seem to have won but it could have easily tipped the other way.

Imo everyone should discuss with their doctor and make the decision to get vaxxed or not. Its an important and very personal decision. Its also a nuanced decision. There are no black and white (binary) decisions when it comes to medicine.
You do realize that the natural immunity only lasts for so long, right?

Old 12-14-2021, 09:18 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
You do realize that the natural immunity only lasts for so long, right?
I've looked into the data some and they don't seem to know at this time. Some think its a lifelong immunity like you get with chicken pox. But they just don't really know. Time will tell.

But vaxx immunity seems to fade fast. Like within a few months. Thats why they recommend boosters every few months.

I'd prefer a natural immunity over getting a booster shot every 6 months or so.

One can test their natural antibody level every month, and for me personally, I'd trust natural antibodies over vaccine shots. Our immune systems are amazing.

I follow various medical doctors and Biology Ph.D.s, which is where I derive my information from. Though I'm the first to admit I'm no scientist or doctor. But we are being forced to get informed one way or another these days. I know the sources I trust and I am quite careful about what happens to my body. Also my sister is a Nurse Practitioner with a MS in nursing.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I've looked into the data some and they don't seem to know at this time. Some think its a lifelong immunity like you get with chicken pox. But they just don't really know. Time will tell.

But vaxx immunity seems to fade fast. Like within a few months. Thats why they recommend boosters every few months.

I'd prefer a natural immunity over getting a booster shot every 6 months or so.

One can test their natural antibody level every month, and for me personally, I'd trust natural antibodies over vaccine shots. Our immune systems are amazing.

I follow various medical doctors and Biology Ph.D.s, which is where I derive my information from. Though I'm the first to admit I'm no scientist or doctor. But we are being forced to get informed one way or another these days. I know the sources I trust and I am quite careful about what happens to my body. Also my sister is a Nurse Practitioner with a MS in nursing.
That is certainly true! I am glad that you are better, truly. Covid is awful.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
That is certainly true! I am glad that you are better, truly. Covid is awful.
Thank you. I don't even know if I had covid but if I did, it was the worst I felt in my life. Truly awful.

I just want us to get past this. The past two years have been the darkest, most trying times most anyone alive can remember.

I don't know the solution. My state seems to have gone back to normal. No vaccine passports. No mask mandates. Just people living again. I think I caught it from going to a crowded restaurant where nobody was masked. I think they figure either you're vaxxed, you're naturally immune, or you're going to catch it and recover, or, worst case scenario, die.

But they are letting people decide, like adults. Im unvaxxed and went to the crowded restaurant, got ill, and recovered. That was my choice.

Of course people can choose to stay home if they don't want to risk it. They can get a booster every 6 months. I'm all for freedom of choice as well as informing oneself and doing as much as one feels is necessary to protect themselves.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:39 AM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The data overwhelmingly shows, though, that those with "natural immunity" benefit a good deal from the vaccine.

It's so overwhelming that we're letting go people without the vaccine starting last week. Two so far. We can't have them in the workplace, we won't let unvaccinated people benefit from doing so, and they can't come into contact with the public so their is no role for them anymore.
For me personally, I think you are preaching to the choir. Last spring I got vaccinated with two shots of the moderna vaccine and then again before Thanksgiving and even before anyone knew anything about omnicron, I got my first moderna booster shot.

That said I think that there is plenty of high quality information about vaccination for anyone who has the interest to make an informed decision about the risks and rewards of getting or not getting vaccinated. I also realize that people make medical decisions for a variety of reasons, some that they wish to share with others on a public forum and others that are more private and I get that too. Lastly I sincerely doubt that anyone who looks at the risks and rewards of vaccination differently than me is going to be persuaded by anything that I have to say on this topic. At this point, I don't think many people's minds are open to being persuaded by me or really by anyone else one way or the other.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:55 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Moongirl, glad you're feeling some better.

MLJ, I guess I'm offering the same sentiment to you. I really hope your heart is healing after the year you've had. I hear that's what hearts do

Old 12-15-2021, 09:23 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
For me personally, I think you are preaching to the choir. Last spring I got vaccinated with two shots of the moderna vaccine and then again before Thanksgiving and even before anyone knew anything about omnicron, I got my first moderna booster shot.

That said I think that there is plenty of high quality information about vaccination for anyone who has the interest to make an informed decision about the risks and rewards of getting or not getting vaccinated. I also realize that people make medical decisions for a variety of reasons, some that they wish to share with others on a public forum and others that are more private and I get that too. Lastly I sincerely doubt that anyone who looks at the risks and rewards of vaccination differently than me is going to be persuaded by anything that I have to say on this topic. At this point, I don't think many people's minds are open to being persuaded by me or really by anyone else one way or the other.
Agree.

I know what my position is...I am pro vax, plan to get the booster and just haven't had a chance, but I'm isolated enough that I don't feel urgent about it at the moment. I don't care what everyone else is doing, I put on a mask in public indoor spaces, and avoid crowds. I took a few chances over the summer because I was leaving Colorado and wanted to get my goodbyes in with my community of friends, but that was at a moment when all of the reported numbers were low, and I re-isolated myself before I came down here. I probably would take more chances if a.) We were not here for my elderly FIL and b.) I'd had the booster. Which I mean to get around to, soon.

FIL surprised us the other day and decided he actually wanted it after all. He originally had Moderna but got Pfizer this time, and he's doing well. No side effects. I think what pushed him that direction is actually his politics. He hates everything to do with Trump with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns, so hearing that being anti-vax is associated with Team Trump made him want to do the opposite. I'm just like...OK. Whhhaaatever. lol

But I'm not really one to argue with people about it. And I don't really have a strong opinion about mandates at this point. I think that they are hitting it from the other end and developing better treatments to make it more survivable if you DO catch it, and at some point everyone had the chance to decide to protect themselves or not to, and if there are bad consequences to the choice that any of us made, then we'll be the ones who have to live with them. You pick a path, walk down it, and deal with what it brings. It's life, right? And if a company mandates it for employees...well...OK. That's new information. Make your choices. And if the government mandates it for everyone, I would not be alarmed about that, personally. But.../shrug...that's not very likely, at least not at the national level, and I've got other things to worry about with what the government is getting up to.

But yeah, I went to a few stores yesterday looking for some odds and ends for Christmas, and very few people were bothering with masks, but the cashiers were wearing them. If anything, I thought, as one of the very few customers wearing one, "This is not that big a deal for me to do, for a few minutes' time. Imagine being one of these cashiers who has to wear one all day."

Old 12-15-2021, 02:00 PM

@ homina12 Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Agree.

I know what my position is...I am pro vax, plan to get the booster and just haven't had a chance, but I'm isolated enough that I don't feel urgent about it at the moment. I don't care what everyone else is doing, I put on a mask in public indoor spaces, and avoid crowds. I took a few chances over the summer because I was leaving Colorado and wanted to get my goodbyes in with my community of friends, but that was at a moment when all of the reported numbers were low, and I re-isolated myself before I came down here. I probably would take more chances if a.) We were not here for my elderly FIL and b.) I'd had the booster. Which I mean to get around to, soon.

FIL surprised us the other day and decided he actually wanted it after all. He originally had Moderna but got Pfizer this time, and he's doing well. No side effects. I think what pushed him that direction is actually his politics. He hates everything to do with Trump with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns, so hearing that being anti-vax is associated with Team Trump made him want to do the opposite. I'm just like...OK. Whhhaaatever. lol

But I'm not really one to argue with people about it. And I don't really have a strong opinion about mandates at this point. I think that they are hitting it from the other end and developing better treatments to make it more survivable if you DO catch it, and at some point everyone had the chance to decide to protect themselves or not to, and if there are bad consequences to the choice that any of us made, then we'll be the ones who have to live with them. You pick a path, walk down it, and deal with what it brings. It's life, right? And if a company mandates it for employees...well...OK. That's new information. Make your choices. And if the government mandates it for everyone, I would not be alarmed about that, personally. But.../shrug...that's not very likely, at least not at the national level, and I've got other things to worry about with what the government is getting up to.

But yeah, I went to a few stores yesterday looking for some odds and ends for Christmas, and very few people were bothering with masks, but the cashiers were wearing them. If anything, I thought, as one of the very few customers wearing one, "This is not that big a deal for me to do, for a few minutes' time. Imagine being one of these cashiers who has to wear one all day."
Yeah its a shame this thing got so politicized.

For me its nothing to do with politics. Im pretty apolitical. I mean I observe it with a curious bemused distance, like watching a circus show. These clowns and buffoons are doing all these crazy things, Ill observe but I dont really support anyone nor agree with most of what any of them say or do. The only one I take somewhat seriously is Rand Paul because he usually just makes sense to me and seems fairly balanced and in touch with reality. Hes also a medical doctor which I respect.

Bur yeah the choice to not get vaxxed for me had absolutely nothing to do with politics. It was a carefully considered medical decision. Weighing the risks against the benefits.

I certainly wasn't going to run out and get a shot just because people are posted up in some parking lot with signs that say "Free Covid Vaccine," and sone talking head on TV is telling everyone to do this. I just have a personality that doesnt fall into lockstep just like that. I ask questions.

That said I do agree with my parents' and grandmother's decision to get vaxxed because they are elderly.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Moongirl, glad you're feeling some better.

MLJ, I guess I'm offering the same sentiment to you. I really hope your heart is healing after the year you've had. I hear that's what hearts do
Thank you! One day at a time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships